It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• dull upper right quadrant pain...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2003, 08:02 AM   #16
    klott

klott HB User
    ashpie, you asked where I was hurting....Right under my right ribs. BUT, if I lie down and poke around on it,,,,it doesn't hurt. But standing up and moving around aggravates it. It is worse in the evening than in the morning. I guess because this irratation has had time to rest in the middle of the night. At night, I get a bloated feeling on that side and I cannot eat alot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 08:50 AM   #17
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Klott,

I am having a HIDA scan tomorrow. I don't know what mine will involve. Do all HIDA scans use hormone contrast?

Old 09-10-2003, 10:26 AM   #18
    klott

klott HB User
    They all have a contrast, but not all have this certain stimulant added with the contrast. I read about it awhile ago on someone else's question and they actually named it. Your doctor has to order it though.

Old 09-10-2003, 10:56 AM   #19
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Well my test is in the morning and my family doc doesn't work on Wed. so I guess I am stuck with whatever test has been ordered. I will ask the folks administering the test what they are giving me so I will know. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:48 AM   #20
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Had the test this morning and it went ok. I didn't like having to lie on my back for an hour while the machine scanned for the nuclear material. I didn't have a hormone injection so I don't how much my test can actually show. I assume that it watches the nuclear stuff to go through your liver and into your gallbladder and into your small intestine. I guess if my GB is working right, the test can tell that by how well the nuclear stuff is pumped out of my GB.

Old 09-11-2003, 02:13 PM   #21
    kirra

kirra HB User
    Does anyone ever get the same pain on the left side too. I have the right sided pain under my rib which comes on when i have been cleaning and bending over,
    sometimes it is worse than others. I do suffer from IBS also.

Old 09-11-2003, 09:13 PM   #22
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Kirra have seen some posts on this board that mention that they have a pain on there left side instead of there right.Seems to run on boths sides.Left or right.I have ibs too boy is it a drag.

------------------

Old 09-11-2003, 09:18 PM   #23
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Actudan i know what you mean about interfering with your life.Who wants to be around a person in pain all the time.You dont want to do nothing,but beg for it to go away.It really sucksssssss.

------------------

Old 09-12-2003, 07:48 AM   #24
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by suzyshop1:
    Actudan i know what you mean about interfering with your life.Who wants to be around a person in pain all the time.You dont want to do nothing,but beg for it to go away.It really sucksssssss.

What makes matters worse is the way people react to my condition. I guess since nothing has been found, everyone looks at me like it's all in my head. People keep telling me to do this and that to get the discomfort off my mind. I tell them I have tried doing this and that and it does no good. It's not like I want pity or sympathy but some understanding would be good.

Old 09-12-2003, 10:32 AM   #25
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Got the HIDA scan results today and was told that it was normal. NOW WHAT?!?! Guess I will have the colonocopy and be done with it. May ask to have another endoscopy at the same time. After that, I will have run out of tests.

Old 09-12-2003, 03:16 PM   #26
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Actudan dont that just frustrate you when ppl say stuff to you like that.My husband will ask me how ya doing today.Just cause your not crying or screaming with pain doesnt mean you aren't hurting.Alot of times when ppl ask how im doing ,i figure they dont really want to know how im doing.So i usually say so so.My brother thinks im a hypochondriac cause the doctors cant find the source of my pain.Have you had any tests done for ibs ?And there isnt anything wrong with alittle bit of sympathy.Keep us posted with the next tests you have done.Were all in this same boat together.Take care.

------------------

Old 09-13-2003, 07:40 AM   #27
    PattyK

PattyK HB User
    I know exactly what you all are going through. On November 4,2002,I woke up that morning to go to work,and all of a sudden I started getting this dull pain in my right side that travelled to my back and shoulders.It quickly got worse and worse until finally I told my husband to take me to the hospital. That was an hour's drive,and the whole way over I vomited because the pain was so intense.When I got there they gave me 3 shots of morphine for the pain,and that didn't even dent the pain.I had to have an ultrasound while having that extreme pain,and apparently the test showed some sort of blockage in my right kidney,so I was rushed to surgery,where nothing was found,despite what the test said.The docs put a stent in anyway. I had that stent in for 2 weeks. When I finally got it out,I thought all my problems were solved.WRONG!!I've been extremely sick ever since.Pain in my lower right side and upper to lower stomach,and a constant burning in my upper stomach.I've had numerous tests,including the HIDA scan,colonoscopy,endoscopy etc.All the tests were normal.My docs are all stumped to this day.They have no idea what is causing all my discomfort.I also have constant gas,but no diarrhea or constipation. My doc finally diagnosed me as having IBS,but nothing he has given me has given me any kind of relief.My whole life has been disrupted,and I also am irritable all the time and don't really want bothered by my family or anyone else.I'm constantly in distress,and everything I eat bothers me.I .too have been told it was all in my head,and that frustrates me to no end.I go on the 22nd to see a surgeon about exploritory surgery to see if they can find somethingthat isn't showing up in any of my other tests.Has anyone else had exploritory surgery done and if so,what can I expect?

Old 09-15-2003, 06:28 AM   #28
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by suzyshop1:
    Actudan dont that just frustrate you when ppl say stuff to you like that.My husband will ask me how ya doing today.Just cause your not crying or screaming with pain doesnt mean you aren't hurting.Alot of times when ppl ask how im doing ,i figure they dont really want to know how im doing.So i usually say so so.My brother thinks im a hypochondriac cause the doctors cant find the source of my pain.Have you had any tests done for ibs ?And there isnt anything wrong with alittle bit of sympathy.Keep us posted with the next tests you have done.Were all in this same boat together.Take care.

I get asked how I feel every day. I finally told my wife not to ask me any more and I would tell her if I felt better. Otherwise I still hurt. I agree that people look at you thinking that you are not in pain because you aren't rolling on the floor in agony. I just hope that those people don't ever have to find out the hard way that you can be in a 24/7 discomfort and not be in trmendous pain.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:51 AM   #29
    Fangwolf

Fangwolf HB User
    I too have had a dull ache with pressure on the right side just under my ribcage. I've had a few mild pancreatic attacks where the levels were elevated, but all else shows as normal. Among the tests I've had were CAT scan, ultrasound, hida scan and edoscopy. Everything shows normal but the dull aching pain persists. It especially gets aggrivated when I stretch back and to the left. At times it feel slike theres fuild or something throbbing inside. I've become fruestrated and worried. I've had mono and CMV virus in the past which created hepatitis-like conditions. Any ideas? No one seems to know.

[This message has been edited by Fangwolf (edited 09-15-2003).]

Old 09-15-2003, 07:31 PM   #30
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Fangwolf do you have gerd or ibs?Have you ever been diagnosed with h.pylori?Seems like just about everybody on this board that has the pain in the ribcage ,either has gerd,ibs or had h.pylori.Theres got to be a connection somewhere that were missing.

------------------

Closed Thread