It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Abdominal and Chest Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2003, 07:34 PM   #1
    Leafs

Leafs HB User
    Question Abdominal and Chest Pain

My illness is quite a mystery. I am a 35 year old male, 5'10", 160 lbs and for three and a half years now, I've been living with pain on a daily basis. Initially, I saw the Dr. because I had a slight twinge under the left side of my sternum and they gave me an EKG (negative). I followed up with my Dr. because of a "gnawing" feeling in my stomach and he put me on H2 antagonist and ordered a H Pylori test (negative). Pain kept increasing and I then had an Upper GI with Barium (negative). Stomach and chest pain kept increasing, so I was given an Upper Endoscopy. Nothing found. Note: Chest pain is between ribs on upper chest on both sides of sternum. It's always in the same location.

Push ahead one year and I'm with a new Dr. I'm now experiencing increased chest and abdominal pain, but now I also have occasional pain in my left arm (pretty scarey!). Doc sends me for blood work (liver enzymes, etc - all normal) and to a cardiologist to rule out heart problems. Heart is good.

A new GI orders a manometry test (nothing found), Bernstein test (nothing found), intraesophageal balloon distention test (nothing found) and 24 hr pH monitoring where it was determined that whenever I had chest pains, I produced my bile production went up. The GI performed another Endoscopy and found a small ulcer at the bottom of my esophogus and another small ulcer in my stomach. He also did a blood test to check my thyroid (normal). As well, he noticed bile staining where my stomach empties. With this info, he advises me to just keep taking my meds.

Move ahead one more year. Abdominal pain is mostly on the right hand side under rib cage, to the right and slightly below the navel and in epigastric area. Pain also wraps around to the bottom of my right shoulderblade. Dr. sends me for HIDA scan which indicates that my gallbladder has 90% ejection rate, but I was not in pain that day. Sent for a gastric emptying study (normal).

Another few months later, the pain in the abdomen is almost steady and the chest pain is more intense. Was sent to another cardiologist who told me again that all was normal. Went to GI and he put me on an antihisthime which eliminated my pain to the right of the navel. All other pain still exists.

Today, I have all the same pain as above with the added fun of occasional pain directly on the left side of the ribs, too. The left sided pain just started and when it arrives, it sometimes shoots a pain upward (sharp, quick) and also sometimes "wraps" around my back.

Sorry for going on so long, but I'm desperate. I can't do as much in my life as I used to because of this illness and I hate going anywhere because I don't know if I'll be sick or not. I feel like I'm ripping my kids off because I can't do many activities with them.

Anybody else experience ANY of this??? Any recommendations?

------------------
    Go Leafs Go!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
    Leafs

Leafs HB User
    Oh yeah, I should mention too, that my abdominal and chest pain is at it's worst when I'm hungry.

------------------
    Go Leafs Go!

Old 09-28-2003, 09:42 PM   #3
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Leafs,
    It sounds like all your pain is being cause by muscle spasms and cramping. I think you need to take a supplement of Magnesium and calcium.

A member here wrote about similar problems --- bluepumkin I'll find his post and bump it up so you can read it.

God Bless---Harry

Old 09-29-2003, 02:37 PM   #4
    Leafs

Leafs HB User
    Harry - thanks for the advice. I've picked up some magnesium, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the blessing, too!

Old 09-29-2003, 11:38 PM   #5
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    I have a gnawing pain on my ribcage on the right side,sometmes it will go to the back and ache on the left shoulderblade.I have gerd and ibs.

------------------

Old 01-25-2004, 06:15 PM   #6
    hallmatt
    (male)

hallmatt HB User
    Re: Abdominal and Chest Pain

Wondering how the supplements are working for you Leaf?

Closed Thread