It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Breathing/Chestpains/Gerd

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2003, 06:17 AM   #1
    MrRob

MrRob HB User
    Post Breathing/Chestpains/Gerd

I have benn suffering on and off with Acid reflux and I had a small hiatal hernia.

I have seen GI's, Cardiologists, Pulmonologists and 5 Primary care DR's in the past 2-3 years.

Recently I have been battling hard breathing.

I was on Nexium for 2 years but it started giving me Esophagal Spasms/Heart Palpitations.

I have definately narrowed down breathing and maybe the chest pains to GERD.

After the 2 weeks on Rhinostat and Advair things were the same for the most part.

I went to the DR again and told him things were the same but the heartburn is back with a vengance again. Since the Nexium started giving me Esophagal Spasms/Heart Palpitations I told him I wasn't taking the Nexium. He prescribed Protonix (40mg). Heart burn had vanished for the first 3 days and the breathing was 98% better. Even when I burped there was no acid taste or burning.

Yesterday I went to a football game and ate and drank too much junk. Today I have really bad heartburn and the breating feels hard to do.

I will tell this to the doctor but they have me going to see a ENT DR next week.

Is there a way toi prove this? I want to show the DR's the connection because they dont believe me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 06:24 AM   #2
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    The only way you can prove it is to outline as clearly as possible what is happening and when it is happening, hoping to prove any connections that yiou have found. My stomach spasms really bad and I take limbitrol at night which seems to help. Before I started taking limbitrol, my stomach would spasm and it would become hard to breathe. If I skip a day or two of taking the limbitrol, it will happen again. I don't know if that means I will have to stay on limbitrol forever. I sure hope not. I have also seen on this board other gerd sufferers that complain of tightness in the chest and difficulty breathing so it seems there is a connection. But again, you may want to keep a diary of what you are eating and what symptoms you are experiencing afterwards so your doctor can see what is going on. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2003, 09:50 AM   #3
    MrRob

MrRob HB User
    Went to the ENT.

His diagnosis was I have a deviated septum.

He explained how the septum works and how after you eat it tends to swell a little. Also about one side relaxing and switching back and forth.

He is recommending surgery to correct this. Septoplasty

I am debating this now? Anyone have this done?

The doctor has a good case but is this the answer all along?

Closed Thread