It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Gallstone Confusion!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
    Lynne52

Lynne52 HB User
    Angry Gallstone Confusion!!!

I have been having gallstone attacks about once a week now for about a month. The one I had yesterday was so bad that I went to the emergency room. This was a big deal for me because I am hospital phobic. The ultrasound showed up various small stones on the underside of the gallbladder and a slightly dilated biliary duct. They gave me a shot of morphine which took the pain away. The doctor told me in a stern voice that I had better get my GB removed now or I will end up in the ICU. He discharged me with an RX for 20 Vicodin. The day after, I only have a slight twinge of pain in the GB area but I am very afraid to eat for fear that eating will bring on another attack. I have not eaten since Tuesday night and it is now Thursday afternoon. I am also extremely terrified of having surgery. I have never had it and have this belief that I will die under anesthesia. I know that this is an unrealistic phobic type of fear and that I need therapy. But how long will therapy take to work so that I can get my GB removed? Also, I have been reading a lot of negative stuff about what happens after the gallbladder is removed. Is it worth it? Maybe I should try to control my diet and see if the attacks go away?

[This message has been edited by Lynne52 (edited 10-23-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 05:48 PM   #2
    shaylahc

shaylahc HB User
    I feel for you. I am in a similar predicament.

As far as eating, as long as you eat low/no fat foods you shouldn't have any pain. I am living off cold cut sandwiches, cereal with skim milk, pasta and chicken breasts. I can also tolerate steamed broccoli. Don't drink coffee or carbonated beverages. I can consume SOME fat in small quantities (like maybe 10 grams per meal total) but anything more has me in pain.

I found that by following a low fat diet, my symptoms have all but disappeared.

I have no doubt I will need surgery and have the same fears you do.

If you feel nauseous, try drinking Gatorade.

I have lost 30 lbs through all this. I know what you mean!!!! I think it's worth it to have surgery. When you can't even eat without being in excruciating pain I just don't see where you have a choice.

Good luck! And go get something to eat!!!!

Old 10-24-2003, 04:04 AM   #3
    Missfit58

Missfit58 HB User
    HELLO,
    I HAD MINE OUT THE 6 OF OCT.I TOO WAS VERY VERY SCARED.I NEVER HAD SURGERY IN MT LIFE.I WAS THINKING I WAS GOING TO DIE ETC ETC.I CRIED THATS HOW SCARED I WAS BUT THE DAY OF SURGERY MY TEN YEAR OLD KEPT ME FROM CRYING. I COULDNT IN NO WAY UPSET HER AT ALL. NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE TOLD ME ITS GONNA BE ALRIGHT I STILL WAS VERY SCARED.BUT IT WAS A BREEZE LIKE EVERYONE IS SAYING.I WAS HOME THE SAME DAY. IT NEEDED TO COME OUT.I GOT TIRED OF BEING SICK. IF YOU FOLLOW A LOW FAT DIET.OR NO FATS YOU WILL FEEL BETTER.UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR SURGERY.THE BILE CAN GO TO YOUR OTHER ORGANS AND I HEARD YOU CAN GET VERY SICK! GOOD LUCK AND TRY TO GO EAT SOMETHING.I ALSO ATE TURKEY AND HAM SAMDWICHES.I DRANK SEVEN UP. I WAS ABLE TOO BUT MY SIATER WAS TO WHERE THE POINT SHE COULD NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING.
    CHERYL

Closed Thread