It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• heartburn or acid reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2003, 09:55 PM   #1
    wackytoposthere
    Inactive
    (male)

wackytoposthere HB User
    Post heartburn or acid reflux

Heartburn, and bloating in the stomach especially after eating carbs or sugars can indicate yeast overgrowth in the stomach. This is due to the fermentation of the sugars.
    These can be signs of a lack of stomach acid, which leads to an overgrowth of stomach yeast. When we are younger our acids produce sufficient stomach acid to control yeast growth. But as we age stomach acidity naturally declines. This helps explain why as we age we develop more nutritional deficiencies, and get more frequent heartburn. Minerals and vitamin B12 all require sufficient stomach acid to be absorbed. And silica, which helps maintain healthy bones, blood vessels, skin, etc. has to be converted in to orthosilicic acid to be absorbed. Though some silica gets converted just by natural reaction with water, the conversion of silica to orthosilicic acid is enhanced by sufficient stomach acid. Drops in the absorption of orthosilicic acid leads to osteoporosis, wrinkles, etc. Overgrowth of yeast in the stomach leads to heartburn due to fermentation from the yeast. This fermentation leads to the production of carbon dioxide gas, which creates the bloating. The gas also produces pressure on the sphincter muscle at the upper end of the stomach. Like other muscles this muscle can get tired. When the sphincter muscle tires out from fighting the pressure the muscle relaxes allowing the gas to escape up the esophagus. As the gas goes up the esophagus traces of stomach acid are carried with it causing the heartburn. Excessive stomach acid is a medical condition known as hyperchlorrhydria, and medical texts tell us it is extremely rare. Yet antacids and acid blockers are the second largest selling drug class. This stems from the outdated notion that acid reflux involves to much stomach acid. But the fact is that these drugs can actually make the condition worse by neutralizing the remaining acid, or by preventing its secretion. Further reducing stomach acidity just encourages more yeast growth. An easier way to look at this principle is when taking antibiotics, women can develop vaginal yeast infections. The reason for this is that the flora that inhabit the vaginal cavity produce lactic acid to maintain slightly acidic tissues, which yeast cannot grow in. Since the antibiotics kill these bacteria, they also lead to a shift in the pH of the tissues to the alkaline side leading to an overgrowth of yeast.

In Europe digestive bitters are very popular for treating heartburn. These are bitter tasting herbs, usually sold in liquid form since they must come in to contact with the tongue to work. Bitters work by stimulating the bitter receptors on the back of the tongue. This in turn stimulates a nerve, known as the vagus nerve. This in turn increases the production of stomach acid, bile secretion and pancreatic enzyme secretion. They also have a cleansing effect on the liver, and the bile increasing effects make it useful for dissolving cholesterol based gallstones. Since bitters do cleanse the liver it is important to drink a lot of water throughout the day when using them. Zinc can also help since it is a catalyst for the formation of hydrochloric acid for the stomach. The recommended dose is 50mg daily with a large meal.

Mints relax the sphincter muscle at the top of the stomach increasing the risk of esophageal reflux.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2003, 12:28 AM   #2
    wackytoposthere
    Inactive
    (male)

wackytoposthere HB User
    Wink

Has anyone received benefits from this post by using the bitters?

Old 10-20-2003, 05:41 PM   #3
    TAF

TAF HB User
    I just discovered this website a few days ago and your post makes a lot of sense! I am going to my health food store tomorrow and will definately try out your advice. I've been on nexium for a week and it seems to be making my symptoms worse. I have always liked alternative therapy over conventional. My symptoms are not like traditional gerds. I have a constant feeling of food stuck on the right side of my throat. My larynx and pharynx are inflammed from acid coming up in my throat. Will your method relieve that?

Old 10-21-2003, 05:46 AM   #4
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
    Is there an artificial sphincter? They seem to be able to replace everything else.

Old 10-24-2003, 09:57 PM   #5
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User
    Why are you drinking honey water? I have had burning mouth syndrome on and off and found that Vit-B 50 helps. Also, stay away from citrus, vinegar, salt and anything that makes it tingle. If you have not had it checked by a Dr.you should as you may have thrush which there is medication for.You have had it too long. I don't think it is going to go away on its own. For me the citrus was the culprit, also Vit C

Old 10-25-2003, 11:51 PM   #6
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Pepcid ac may not be strong enough for you.If youve have a burnng problem in your throat for awhile,you may have an inflamed esophagus.You may have to move on to a ppi like prevacid which heals erosions of the throat.

------------------

Closed Thread