It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Gastroparesis Question?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2003, 01:08 PM   #1
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Question Gastroparesis Question?

One of my symptoms has been nausea for some time. Early saitey used to a problem too but not currently. I know gastroparesis is when the stomach basically quits contracting correctly (if at all) but I was wondering something regarding hunger noises and gastroparesis. If you have gastroparesis, does your stomach quit making the grumbling noise it sometimes makes when its time to eat. For months now, my stomach has quit grumbling and I also never really feel hungry like I used too but I still eat because I know it's time to eat. I have not been tested for gastroparesis but was curious to see what others who do have it think.

I don't know if the grumbling your stomach makes when hungry is a stomach contraction so I am just curious. However, gastroparesis would only help maybe explain my nausea but not my URQ discomfort.

[This message has been edited by actudan (edited 10-24-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2003, 01:33 PM   #2
    swingline
    Inactive

swingline HB User
    yeah actudan, over the summer, my stomach just stopped grumbling. It just started again, so I hope it means my stomach has some activity. All the grumbling is, is the acid in your stomach, it comes when you are hungry because there is nothin in your stomach so it has nothing to churn(no food to churn). So it just churns on the empty stomach, also can cause gas, which is another sign of stomach grumbling.

[This message has been edited by swingline (edited 10-24-2003).]

Old 10-28-2003, 11:22 AM   #3
    NikkisNYmom
    Inactive

NikkisNYmom HB User
    Hi Act,

How are you? I wrote you a few days ago and can't find where you would have responded.

Is everything ok with you?

My doctor just called me to tell me my Prolactin level is high - I am SO worried - anyone know anything about it or if it's really dangerous?

Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-28-2003, 12:43 PM   #4
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Hi NikkisNYmom,

I am still going through trying to figure out what my problem is. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for next week. I am also getting a second opinion on Jan 15 and assuming the colonoscopy is nonrevealing. I also may request a gastric emptying study just to rule out what I can.

Prolactin is a protein hormone secreted from the pituitary gland. High levels can be cause by many things such as medications, hypothyroidism, kidney disease, ... You may have to fast and have the test repeated. If it's still high, then you have to find the reason. Good luck and take care!

Old 10-29-2003, 10:47 AM   #5
    LynneJW
    (female)

LynneJW HB User
    Hi Actudan!
    When I was younger, I used to get these episodes where I would be nauseous for a few days then it would disappear. I started noticing that during these times, I felt absolutely NOTHING in terms of rumblings, grumblings or any other movement in my GI tract. I used to tell my doctor that it felt like my stomach simply stopped working. The doctor listened with a stethescope and also heard no sounds. Then after a few days, the grumblings would suddenly return, and the nausea would disappear instantly. I never got a diagnosis, but now I am thinking it was gastroparesis. Does anyone know if it possible to have transient gastroperesis? These days I get one attack every few months or so. Can stress trigger an attack?
    Thanks,
    Lynne

Old 10-29-2003, 10:57 AM   #6
    swingline
    Inactive

swingline HB User
    Stress is a big factor. At least that is what all my doctors, friends, and parents say.

Old 10-29-2003, 01:33 PM   #7
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Stress can be attributed to cause anything and everything. But stress is linked to a lot of digestive disorders such as IBS so I would guess that stress could cause your problem to occur. I have a doctor's appointment coming up so I will ask a lot of questions regarding gastroperesis.

Old 10-31-2003, 06:52 AM   #8
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
    I also have gastroparesis, I found a wealth of information at the yahoo gastroparesis group and at [url="http://www.gpact.org."]www.g-pact.org[/url] People who care and know all about it.

Last edited by farscape66; 11-02-2003 at 01:22 PM.

Old 10-31-2003, 07:29 AM   #9
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    farscape,

I cannot get that link to work. Am I doing something wrong?

Old 11-02-2003, 01:18 PM   #10
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
    Try g-pact

For more information [url]www.g-pact.org[/url]

Old 11-02-2003, 01:21 PM   #11
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
    More recommendations

Digestive Enzymes and B-12 suplements help also.

Closed Thread