It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• anyone on here had a solid face gastric emptying study done?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
    carisa789
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carisa789 HB User
    anyone on here had a solid face gastric emptying study done?

If so, please tell me what it is like and what exactly they are looking for. I was told that they are just seeing how fast the food goes through my stomach. If it is slow, what can be done and is it a dangerous thing? Thank you.

Carisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
    Re: anyone on here had a solid face gastric emptying study done?

Hello, I just had 1 the other week (well, I think; I don't know if it's called "solid face...", just that it was gastric emptying).

In my case, I had to eat a hard-boiled egg (yum! ), which is injected with radioactive stuff so they can watch the food in your system.

Then I had to lie down for 1-1/2 hrs, lie still, and simply let the cameras watch your tummy area. It's very boring, and depending on your body structure (any sensitive areas, as I have from injuries), can be a bit uncomfortable on a hard thin table.

So, they're trying to see if all your egg leaves the stomach by about 1-1/2 hrs. I've read the average time for such to occur is about 87 min. Don't quote me.

As far as how bad it is to have gastroparesis - I don't really know. I've read much about it, but I can't say because for 1, I don't know if I actually have it yet (it didn't look good, though, let me tell you - still plenty of white in my stomach when they made me leave), and 2 I don't know if it depends on how "bad" it is. i.e., if gastroparesis is in degrees of seriousness or just a yes/no black&white game.

It sort of scares me regarding Reglan, a drug often used for stomach motility. Reglan supposedly frequently has bad psycho and Parkinson's-like side effects (including suicidal thoughts, etc). The FDA has not approved a drug called Motilium which is used in Europe, which is also for motility but supposedly doesn't have those awful effects. I'm sort of concerned just about that drug. I haven't heard alot about how bad gastroparesis in itself is, or can be.

BTW, I'm seeing my GE doc next week. His office hasn't called so I guess it's not disastrous. But from that white stomach I saw, he could still say I have trouble.

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 09-28-2006 at 07:40 PM.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:05 PM   #3
    carisa789
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carisa789 HB User
    Re: anyone on here had a solid face gastric emptying study done?

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I tell you, there aren't too many things that are worse than having stomach problems. It's just so uncomfortable. Yeah, I am going to be eating scrambled eggs with the radioactive dye in it, then I have to wash it down with a glass of orange juice I was told. Thank you for telling me of your experience. I hope it all turns out ok for you. I have heard of that medication you wrote about, though I didn't hear about any of those side effects. It doesn't sound good to me. Well I hope we both turn out ok. Thank you for responding.

Carisa

Closed Thread