It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Will I ever be able to eat normally again?!?!?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
    Will I ever be able to eat normally again?!?!?!

How do I get over the fear of eating solid food and choking to death?
    I am so scared every time I eat that when I start to eat and start getting that tight feeling in my throat and chest that I am going to choke.
    Then it hurts and irritates the back of my throat and down my throat and esophagus to drink liquids to get whatever it is to go down.
    Also when I eat or drink my stomach bloats up very badly. My stomach feels like I just ate sand, its got that gritty, raw like feeling inside.
    I get this lumpy feeling on the right side of my stomach too like I've got a big bubble sometimes. It makes me think maybe my gallbladder is acting up when I feel like that.
    Like right now I ate half a baked potatoe about 1 hour ago and I still feel like there is something in my throat and my stomach is all bloated a raw inside.
    Another thing that I thought was really weird. Cold liquids like right out of the fridge bother my throat and stomach worse. I have to let it sit out and get room temp before I can drink it or it really makes my throat clench up if I drink it cold.
    What is wrong with me? I am a 32 year old female, other than my stomach issues I am in fairly good health.
    I dont want to die because I'll never be able to eat again.
    Someone gave me some advice just to force myself to eat solid foods is the only way to feel better. Believe me I have tried and I get about 2 seconds away from calling 911 because I am so scared of choking and dying and there won't be anyone who can help me.
    Please someone, does anyone understand me? Has anyone ever been through this and if so please share with me your story.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2006, 07:41 AM   #2
    nanci2539
    (female)

nanci2539 HB User
    Re: Will I ever be able to eat normally again?!?!?!

Have you gone to a doctor to get a proper diagnosis? It could be a number of things from anxiety made worsen because you're afraid to eat or it could be GERD. It could be anything but you need to see a doctor, preferably a doctor who specializes in digestive disorders.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
    Cool Re: Will I ever be able to eat normally again?!?!?!

Hi Hamilton
    I agree with Nanci, you really do need a good Doctor, a gastroenterologist. Honestly, we can't diagnose you, but if it will help you to know what I have been thru, here goes. I won't go into the many times this has happened, but I had one bite of a hamburger and that is all it took, it was stuck in my esophagus, as I had done so many times before, I waited it out, it makes me feel like getting sick to my stomache, cannot even swallow my own saliva, I waited this out for 24 hours, most of the time it will go down after a while, but this time it didn't, so I called my husband and told him he needs to take me to emergency room, while there, they found the hamburger stuck in my esophagus and of course took it out. To do this they give you some valium to put you sort of under, it did not hurt, but my throat and esophagus was sore a few days. Telling you this so you can get over thinking you are going to die. Food gets stuck there but you can still breath, is a good sign, if it is there too long, take yourself or have someone take you to emergency. In all seriousness, I hope that this is not your case cause it can be miserable to put up with. In time, I figured out what I can eat and not eat so this does not happen again. Hope this helps you out a little.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User

I do see a gastroenterologist. Well the last time I saw him was about 3 months ago before I got laid off of my job and lost insurance and I haven't been able to afford to go back and see him
    My problems started 2 years ago. I am a 32 year old female. I am 5'10 and used to weigh about 250. I lost around 90 pounds in less than 3 months because it all started one night I felt like I was choking on my food and I was up all night long because of it. Before that night I never had a problem eating at all.
    I have had an endoscopy and colonoscopy which only revealed mild colitis.
    I had an ultrasound of my gallbladder which then they couldn't see my gallbladder. The last test I had done was a hida scan, there my gallbladder showed up but the doctor said it was filling up a little too slowly. I didn't stay for the second part. The radioactive dye that they give you for the first part made me very sick and left a very bad taste in the back of my throat and even then I thought I was going to choke so I panicked and left, I chickened out.
    I have been on every antacid over the counter and prescription I've taken Nexium which I had an allergic reaction too and broke out in a rash all over my stomach and now Prevaid which doesn't help either.
    I am still so scared of dying when I eat my anxiety is at an all time high.
    This afternoon I was trying to slowly eat some roast and it felt like it was scratching all the way down the back and sides of my throat, not like a sore throat but very irritating and I had a huge lump in my throat for about an hour. I went through 2 cans of Sprite and some tea and I still felt like it was stuck. I made sure and chewed it up very good and even took tiny bites.
    Can you still feel this way even if you take tiny tiny bites and chew very good , can your esophagus be narrowed that much?
    I am trying to get a hold of my gastro doctors office manager to try to work out a payment arrangement possibly so that I can go in and have my esophagus stretched. I feel she's avoiding calling me and now I feel guilty for calling and leaving her the message explaining what I was trying to get approved. I have called and left messages for her 3 times now and she still hasn't called me back. So the answer is probably no on paying the bill off since I dont' have health insurance right now?
    So please assure me anybody that I'm not going to choke to death and these feelings will pass.
    I need all the support I can get.
    Thank you all so much!

Old 09-29-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
    linda36
    (female)

linda36 HB User

It sounds like GERD. I have GERD and sometimes I have trouble swallowing as well. I also have some anxiety medication and I find that when I take the medication I don't have any difficulty swallowing so I think a lot of it is related to stress. Have you considered asking your doctor for some anxiety meds just to see if they help?

Old 10-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Hamilton92,

Sorry you are having so much trouble. The only other thing I can think of for you is to check what you are eating when this happens, along with everything else I have (no mostility in my esophagus), I also found out quite accidentally, that I am allergic to BBQ sauce. Everytime I would take a bite of Meatballs made in BBQ sauce, I get that same feeling as you have in the throat, Feels like there is a big lump there and cannot swallow saliva, seems it closes my throat right up and this feeling goes on anywhere from 1 hour to 5 hours. I also got this same sympton when I would have a hot dog, the usual Oscar Meyer hot dog, so I quit eating those and instead I have Healthy Choice hot dogs and that problem solved, but I do have to be careful not to eat solid meat, and sometimes chicken or turkey or bread will get stuck in the esophagus, mainly I eat salads, soup, chicken and turkey when I can and cottage cheese, and not meats. Eating can get pretty boring sometimes, but it is better this way than having food stuck in my throat and esophagus. It is all a horrible feeling and not at all nice to have to live with, let us know how you are doing, and oh yeah, sounds like you need a new Gastro. Maybe you should try an urgent care, they will take payments, I think.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #7
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Hamilton92,

Sorry you are having so much trouble. The only other thing I can think of for you is to check what you are eating when this happens, along with everything else I have (no mostility in my esophagus), I also found out quite accidentally, that I am allergic to BBQ sauce. Everytime I would take a bite of Meatballs made in BBQ sauce, I get that same feeling as you have in the throat, Feels like there is a big lump there and cannot swallow saliva, seems it closes my throat right up and this feeling goes on anywhere from 1 hour to 5 hours. I also got this same sympton when I would have a hot dog, the usual Oscar Meyer hot dog, so I quit eating those and instead I have Healthy Choice hot dogs and that problem solved, but I do have to be careful not to eat solid meat, and sometimes chicken or turkey or bread will get stuck in the esophagus, mainly I eat salads, soup, chicken and turkey when I can and cottage cheese, and not meats. Eating can get pretty boring sometimes, but it is better this way than having food stuck in my throat and esophagus. It is all a horrible feeling and not at all nice to have to live with, let us know how you are doing, and oh yeah, sounds like you need a new Gastro. Maybe you should try an urgent care, they will take payments, I think.

Closed Thread