It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Please help with Acid/GERD issue. Need answer ASAP!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Hamilton92
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Please help with Acid/GERD issue. Need answer ASAP!

Can someone tell me if this is acid reflux or something else?
I have had heartburn and stomach/digestive related problems for 2 years now.
Well tonight my symptoms are worse than normal.
I came home from work today around 5:30 as normal, before I left work today I was feeling a little more bloated than normal.
Well tonight I ate some roast beef and drank a Coke. Well about 30 minutes ago the back of my throat started feeling really raw, but my allergies have really been draining today so I think my throat is a little dry and scratchy from that.
Well I drank another coke and every drink seems to make the feeling in my throat worse.
My whole esophagus feels raw and irritated tonight. I am having trouble swallowing like its not going down, liquids even.
I am scared to take anything. My doctor has prescribed me Prevaid but I am scared of the side effects or making the feelings I'm having worse.
I also have some liquid Maalox but it was out in my car and the bottle was real hot so I don't know if the heat ruined the Maalox. It doesn't say anything on the bottle about keeping it under a certain temperature. It has been out in my car for a while, I just forgot about it.
It still looks and smells ok. Its cherry supreme Maalox Max. Should I try taking some of that? I also have Rolaids with gas relief multisymptom.
What would be the best thing to take?
Can someone die from acid reflux? Is the coke irritating my stomach even worse or would it not matter what I drink its still going to feel the same way?
I am such a hypochodriac and I am so scared to take any meds for my condition thinking in some weird way its going to make it worse instead of better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Please help with Acid/GERD issue. Need answer ASAP!

Hamilton,

Coke is just loaded with phosphoric acid -- you should not even be drinking them with acid refux problems.
And eating food like beef causes your stomach acid cells to produce more than normal stomach acids--- hydrocloric acid.

Taking a proton pump inhibitor like Prevacid can only do so Much. You need to change your diet.

Your body is made up of about 70% water and anything that you drink has to be changed by your Liver to water including Coke so your body can work properly.

You should be eating and drinking a more alkaline diet (blander foods and drinks) to help acid refux problems.

Acid reflux can erode the esophagus and eventually get cancer if not treated properly. But, it takes time.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 10-12-2006 at 09:53 PM.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
linda36
(female)

linda36 HB User

HI - you should give the prevacid a try. I have had acid reflux for a long time and the PPI's do wonders. You also have to watch your diet - no coke/spicy foods, etc. while having a flare-up. It is extremely rare to get cancer from reflux so you shouldn't worry about that but it can lead to some other problems like strictures so just watch your diet and take the med your doctor prescribed. Also keeping your bed propped up 6 inches at night will help. Hope you feel better

Old 10-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I read today in a Mayo Clinic report that cancer of the esophagus -- Adenocarcinoma is the fastest increasing cancer in the United States possibly because of the rise in acid reflux.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
linda36
(female)

linda36 HB User

Yes it is rising but is still extremely extremely rare for someone to get cancer of the esophagus from acid reflux and that type of cancer itself is still very rare. The user stated he was a hypochondriac so it is probably a good idea not to make him worry over something that will most likely never ever happen to him.

Closed Thread