It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Constant Nausea- I have tried everything

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
    PianoMan99

PianoMan99 HB User
    Constant Nausea- I have tried everything

This is kind of my last shot since I have attempted everything else. I am desperate for answers and am hoping someone out there has some for me.

I am a 23 year old male and about a year ago I started experiencing persistent nausea. I never vomit- my only symptom is nausea and soreness in my upper stomach right below my breastbone. Here are the tests I have had:

CBC- normal
    Upper GI series- normal
    Endoscopy- normal
    Untrasound for gallbladder- normal

Here are the meds and suppliments I have tried:

PPIs (all of them)- no effect
    Tums- no effect
    Digestive enzymes (pancreatin, pepsin, beataine HCl & ammonium chloride): no effect
    Lactaid- no effect

I have had a food journal for many months and see no pattern for a food intolerance or allergy. Some days the nausea is worse than others and it does not seem to depend on the food I eat. I have also tried treating myself for parasites with herbal suppliments with, you guessed it, no effect.

Anyone have any input? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Constant Nausea- I have tried everything

Have you considered a HIDA scan for your gb ejection rate? Also, have you tried fresh ginger for the nausea?

Old 12-16-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
    PianoMan99

PianoMan99 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou
    Have you considered a HIDA scan for your gb ejection rate? Also, have you tried fresh ginger for the nausea?

Thanks for your reply. I do take ginger capsules and they help sometimes, but I really want to get to the root of what is causing my problem. I don't know if the HIDA scan would make a difference because even if my gallbladder does eject bile slowly, my condition is the same even when I eat fat-free meals. In addition, my gastroenterologist mentioned the gastic emptying test a while ago but I don't really think it is conducive to my symptoms. I don't think I feel full prematurely. Also, isn't the notion with delayed stomach emptying that food sits in the stomach too long thus causing excess acid to be produced? Therefor, wouldn't antacids help? Because in my case, antacids and PPIs make no difference. I appreciate your help.

Last edited by PianoMan99; 12-16-2006 at 06:15 PM.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would try fresh ginger...not the capsules. You can buy ginger root in the produce section of your grocery. Pregnant women use it for morning sickness.
    Maybe it will at least relieve your symptoms. And feeling full has nothing to do with the gb ejection rate. Not sure why your doc would say that.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
    PianoMan99

PianoMan99 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou
    I would try fresh ginger...not the capsules. You can buy ginger root in the produce section of your grocery. Pregnant women use it for morning sickness.
    Maybe it will at least relieve your symptoms. And feeling full has nothing to do with the gb ejection rate. Not sure why your doc would say that.
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the confusion, my doc indicated that delayed gastric emptying usually carries the symptom of feeling full prematurely, not bile secretion.

Thanks for the advice about ginger. I really, though, want to figure out what is causing this problem. At least pregnant women know it is due to their pregnancy.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
    care_berry
    (female)

care_berry HB User

Maybe try reading the book "Dr. Mercola's Total Health Program".

Old 12-17-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PianoMan99
    Thanks for your reply. I do take ginger capsules and they help sometimes, but I really want to get to the root of what is causing my problem. I don't know if the HIDA scan would make a difference because even if my gallbladder does eject bile slowly, my condition is the same even when I eat fat-free meals. In addition, my gastroenterologist mentioned the gastic emptying test a while ago but I don't really think it is conducive to my symptoms. I don't think I feel full prematurely. Also, isn't the notion with delayed stomach emptying that food sits in the stomach too long thus causing excess acid to be produced? Therefor, wouldn't antacids help? Because in my case, antacids and PPIs make no difference. I appreciate your help.

I would check for gastroparesis. I have gastoparesis, although it's "new" to me and rather "mild".

However, I'm pretty sure it is the main cause of constant burning and nausea in my stomach area. "Premature fullness" is not the only nor the necessary symptom of gastroparesis (GP). Nausea generally is (extreme problems involve alot of vomiting). Look it up.

I don't think GP causes necessarily excessive acid. However, you do risk food ROTTING in your stomach whereas it should be processing in the intestines. The rotting causes discomfort and can cause some damage. If you also get damage, I think the acid that is produced can then hurt it (as happens with gastritis and others, which is why just about all these stomach problems include trying acid-reduction to help save the stomach).

Again, I would encourage the other tests, especially the gastric-emptying. Even really checking the GB would be good, because people get the weirdest problems with that.

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 12-17-2006 at 09:03 AM.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:15 AM   #8
    rsbird
    (female)

rsbird HB User

I too suffered with constant nausea, for as long as I can remember, maybe 9 years old no matter what I ate. I took 1 omeprazole a day and stopped drinking milk. I continue to use Soya products. I found this reduced the nausea, but never stopped it.

I also started to experience extreme pain in my upper abdo after fatty foods. After 5 years of intermittant pain and a 2nd opinion, I finally had a diagnosis! I had my gallbladder removed 6 weeks ago. The pain is gone, I can eat what I like, and that horrible constant nausea has GONE! I cannot believe it.

All my tests showed there were no problems, apart from the gallbladder having a thickened wall. Were there any abnormalities with your gallbladder, as I had no stones. I found out once it was removed I had Chronic Gallbladder Disease. I am 26, of slim build and healthy.

The only thing you can do is persit to see your GP. Don't give up until you get an answer. I genuinely thought nausea was a part of life. I now know different. I feel for you, as it effects life daily, and I wish you well!

Old 12-18-2006, 06:16 AM   #9
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rsbird
    I too suffered with constant nausea, for as long as I can remember, maybe 9 years old no matter what I ate. I took 1 omeprazole a day and stopped drinking milk. I continue to use Soya products. I found this reduced the nausea, but never stopped it.

I also started to experience extreme pain in my upper abdo after fatty foods. After 5 years of intermittant pain and a 2nd opinion, I finally had a diagnosis! I had my gallbladder removed 6 weeks ago. The pain is gone, I can eat what I like, and that horrible constant nausea has GONE! I cannot believe it.

All my tests showed there were no problems, apart from the gallbladder having a thickened wall. Were there any abnormalities with your gallbladder, as I had no stones. I found out once it was removed I had Chronic Gallbladder Disease. I am 26, of slim build and healthy.

The only thing you can do is persit to see your GP. Don't give up until you get an answer. I genuinely thought nausea was a part of life. I now know different. I feel for you, as it effects life daily, and I wish you well!

I hear this kind of thing alot, hence I think him doing a HIDA scan would be good.

It's good to note that an ultrasound/sonogram really is only a cursory look at the organs. Most often it can see stones but can't tell much else.

Many people seem to have "sludge" that is basically imperceptible to any of these tests (apparently). The HIDA may point to such a problem, but even if it doesn't, I've heard of people who insisted they had bad pain from that area (as well as nausea) and doctors gave up and removed the GB. In such cases the doc said "yuck" when they removed the GB, as it might have plenty of disgusting "sludge" in it. Sometimes it sounds like the only way you can find out is to hold your nose and dive in!

Old 12-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
    (male)

652 HB User

I've had the same p[roblems-bloating in my upper ab, fullness after meals(sometimes hours after) and a feeling like I need to burp, but can't. I have no pain in my right side stomach, so doc did not think it was gallbladder since my ultrasound came back negative, but I basically forced him to sign me up for a Hida scan. I just had it and will let you know when I get the results!
    Good luck and try the ginger root! Slices of apple without the peel also help.

Closed Thread