It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• "Straight Pipes"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
    kybumpkin
    (male)

kybumpkin HB User
    "Straight Pipes"

I am a 44-year-old male considered to be in good health.

For most of my adult life I have frequently have had what I call like to call "straight pipe syndrome". In other words, the mere act of eating triggers my bowels, and the result is an emergency trip to the nearest bathroom...NOW! It occurs most frequently while eating out but also at friend's or family member's homes. It rarely occurs at home. It can be during the meal or just minutes after. It can be lunch and it can be dinner. Every time, the episode is "explosive" in nature for lack of a better term. It does not take a certain type of food to trigger it either….it can be anything.

I have noticed that over the past year or so, it has not happened as often but all of a sudden, it is back with a vengeance. It has happened to me three times this past Christmas holiday weekend...much more than usual. (the 22nd, 24th and the 26th ) Each time, we were at someone else's home for a meal.

What’s the deal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
    Grehound27
    Veteran
    (male)

Grehound27 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: "Straight Pipes"

Something they are using in the cooking process, whether it be the type oil or MSG, it isn't agreeing with you. I can no longer eat at our favorite breakfast restaurant because of the oil they use in preparing the food...I get horrible D as well. If you don't have this problem at home and only when you eat out...it must be something at the restaurant you are visiting. Hope you can find something new to try! Good luck.

Dave

Old 12-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
    JERRY 104
    (male)

JERRY 104 HB User
    Re: "Straight Pipes"

I would just love to trade my chronic constipation for straight pipe syndrome, Jerry

Old 12-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
    SkipperH
    (male)

SkipperH HB User

Kybumpkin, this sounds like what I have. Some people call it "bile salt diarrhea" all I know is that my situation was like yours. "The very act of eating" triggered the D. It is not the food you are eating at the time, it's when you start to eat bile is released to your intestines to help aid in digestion. In my case my Gastro doc said that the bile was not being reabsorbed into the intestine and was going straight to the small bowel causing the D. I had all the tests done to rule out the serious stuff. What actually gave me relief and gave me my life back was the drug Cholestyramine. I seen improvement within days. You may want to check with a gastroenologist. I'm 45 years old and have been using this drug for approx. 8 years. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:31 AM   #5
    kybumpkin
    (male)

kybumpkin HB User

Thanks for the input...I appreciate it.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
    JERRY 104
    (male)

JERRY 104 HB User

Of course I was being sarcastic with my earlier reply and I'm sorry, it just gets so frustrating at times that you almost envy the person whom has the opposite problem you have. I didn't mean to make light of a problem someone else is struggling with. My apologies...Jerry

Last edited by JERRY 104; 01-02-2007 at 12:21 PM.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #7
    kybumpkin
    (male)

kybumpkin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JERRY 104
    Of course I was being sarcastic with my earlier reply and I'm sorry, it just gets so frustrating at times that you almost envy the person whom has the opposite problem you have. I didn't mean to make light of a problem someone else is struggling with. My apologies...Jerry
    No sweat, Jerry. No offense taken. Without a little levity, sarcasm and humor, the world would be a boring place!

Closed Thread