It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Worms??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User
    Red face Worms??

Hi everyone,

I'm really embarrassed even talking about this...I'm quite disgusted to be honest. I was using the restroom today and after having a bowel movement I noticed what I believe to be a worm . It was about three inches long, white,and about the width of the edge of a quarter. I didn't see any movement from it, but was so disgusted I couldn't stand to look at it for any longer.

I've been having a lot of stomach problems for quite a while now, and I feel like this might finally be what's going on. It's rather disgusting, but I'm glad to know it is something I hope I will be able to get rid of.

Do any of you have any ideas? Is this indeed a worm? I mean, what else could it be shaped like that???
    If it is a worm, what kind of diet, vitamins, meds, can I use to get rid of the nasty things??

Thanks,
    -Vers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User
    Re: Worms??

There are a few things to try. Wormwood, blackseed, pumpkin seed, thyme, or grapefruit seed. Do NOT try all of these at once. It may take a few weeks for any of these to work so don't get discouraged if it doesn't work right away.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
    desertdweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

desertdweller HB User

As embarrassing as it may feel, I think you should really see a doctor about this. Not saying that you have them, but having worms long term can be dangerous. The symptoms can include stomach pain and anal itching at night. Pinworms are actually more prevalent than you think, so don't be embarrassed.
    You can get medicine off the shelf at your pharmacy.

Last edited by desertdweller; 01-06-2007 at 10:21 PM.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User

Okay. Ummm, how would i like dose, take any of those? Thanks

Old 01-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User

How would the doctors even diagnose it? Or treat it? I'm not really familiar with this thing. I imagine if it is indeed a parasite, I probably got it from one of my many animals. I have many, many pets and I wouldn't be surprised if I got something from one of them.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
    desertdweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

desertdweller HB User

My sister kept getting them when I was a kid, but I can't remember what the doctor did to diagnose. Probably a stool sample or swab from the anal area.

My Ex thought he had them from kissing the cat all the time. He went to the pharmacist and he showed him some stuff to take , no prescription needed. The whole family took the stuff, just to be safe. Can't remember the dosage, we just followed the directions.
    The reason I think you should go to the doctor is from what I've heard ( which may or may not be reliable) stomach problems occur with acute infestation. You may have had them awhile, and need special treatment from a doctor.

There has been a video floating around on the internet showing the inside of a patients stomach with an acute infestation of pinworms The patient complained of stomach and gastrointestinal pain. I think the video is from one of those cameras that doctors put down someones throat. If you saw the video, you'd be running to the doctor.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User

Okay, the other thing I guess I should state is that I actually had a colonoscopy about a month and a half ago...which found nothing but healthy colon. I also had to do the colon emptying thing the day before...but didn't notice any worms then... (of course I didn't really look for them either). Could they still be there after that. I mean...I would have thought they'd be gone...but it had to be worm...I don't know what else it would be? It looked completely like a worm.

Thanks again though, I'll talk to my doctor and see what she thinks.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User

Maybe you got worms after your colonoscopy. If you're really worried about it then take a stool sample in to your doctor.

You asked what kind of dosage you should take for all those herbs I mention. You can pick out one of those herbs to try then just follow the directions on the bottle.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Versailles,

It is NOT pinworm, so don't treat for that. Pinworms max out at about a centimeter, usually smaller and are no thinner than a straight pin. Nor is it a segment of a tapeworm.

There are at least 100 different worms that can infect humans but what you describe sounds most like a smaller roundworm.
    Have a doctor make the diagnosis and prescribe the proper vermifuge. Next time you find a worm in your stool save it in a small jar of alcohol to show your doctor.
    Sometimes what LOOKS to be a worm can be some undigested, fibrous plant material.

Don't fiddle with OTC meds; even if they work, they might not work 100% and then you'd have a continuing re-infection cycle.

A proper diagnosis of the offending parasite is the proper first step.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-08-2007 at 05:43 AM.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:26 AM   #10
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

You should go to the doctor EXACTLY because you DON'T really know what this is.

You might think it's a living worm but might be in reality strings of mucous or fat, etc. Let the doctor take the fecal tests and check. Tell them what you saw and what it looks like (not just that BM but others you'll have) but DON'T presuppose to him that it's a worm.

Mucous is totally in accord with many "stomach" (GI) problems. As are worms, but worms are quite rare in humans, at least in America.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #11
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    Versailles,

It is NOT pinworm, so don't treat for that. Pinworms max out at about a centimeter, usually smaller and are no thinner than a straight pin. Nor is it a segment of a tapeworm.

There are at least 100 different worms that can infect humans but what you describe sounds most like a smaller roundworm.
    Have a doctor make the diagnosis and prescribe the proper vermifuge. Next time you find a worm in your stool save it in a small jar of alcohol to show your doctor.
    Sometimes what LOOKS to be a worm can be some undigested, fibrous plant material.

Don't fiddle with OTC meds; even if they work, they might not work 100% and then you'd have a continuing re-infection cycle.

A proper diagnosis of the offending parasite is the proper first step.

(Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of RINGworm!)

I agree. Except also it can be just mucous or other undigested material, never mind whole pieces of food like fiber food.

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 01-08-2007 at 07:32 AM.

Closed Thread