It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Gray stool after diarrhea

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
rockboles
(male)

rockboles HB User
Gray stool after diarrhea

Had diarrhea for about 3-4 days. Afterwards, BM returned to normal except they were gray. This has only been going on for about 24 hours. Was on Immodium AD (once/day) and some Pepto/Tums (both once/day) during the diarrhea phase. Is it just my body trying to recover?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
Grehound27
Veteran
(male)

Grehound27 HB User
Re: Gray stool after diarrhea

Immodium AD (once/day) and some Pepto/Tums (both once/day)

Both of the above can cause discoloration of stool.

Dave

Old 01-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
rockboles
(male)

rockboles HB User

Thanks. Usually when I hit the Pepto, it's very dark stool. Tums has little effect but wasn't sure about Immodium. All web-based queries point to gallbladder bile.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Grehound27
Veteran
(male)

Grehound27 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Gray stool after diarrhea

All web-based queries point to gallbladder bile.

I learned long ago that if you try to dx yourself on the web, you will be a nervous wreck!! You could have a hangnail and Google it and sure enough somewhere down the list you have a serious disease or worse!! You can use these boards for info but they in no way take the place of competent medical advice! Trust me on this!

Good luck

Dave

Old 02-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Ol'Line Rebel
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Grehound is right - get competent medical advice (and I mean, start with teaching-hospital type doctors).

However, believe me I have run the gamut of stool colors and types, etc over the year. I have looked it up a bit myself. In the process, I've often read that gray or otherwise dull, very light stools are indicative of liver problems - potentially not good.

I don't mean to scare you. Even if something seems like a bad symptom, I wouldn't take it so seriously if it doesn't last long and doesn't come back. You've only been for 24 hrs. Unless you get more symptoms, I'd maybe see what happens over a week or a bit less myself. If the gray continues, ask about seeing the doc. Maybe even just ask the nurse/receptionist at your doc to ask if this is something to be concerned about, to get a quick answer about whether you should even bother seeing him.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
rockboles
(male)

rockboles HB User

Problem has resolved. Stool returned to normal. In addition, I was scheduled for a Endoscopy and Colonoscopy today and was normal. Thanks again for advice.

Closed Thread