It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Scared! My heartburn is out of control.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Hamilton92
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Scared! My heartburn is out of control.

I constantly burn and ache in my stomach right above my belly button mostly. Everyday all day long I burn. I constantly feel like at the top of my throat is clogged up and that I'm going to choke if I eat or drink or not its always there.
I have noticeable decay of my teeth, my enamel on a few of my teeth are wearing away, I've read that is a symptom of GERD.
I haven't been to a gatroenterologist in several months since I lost my job due to a layoff so no health insurance. He just shoves prevacid at me says have a nice day. I quit taking the prevacid because it just doesn't do a thing for me.
I have been suffering for about 3 years now and I am scared that I am doing permanent, irreversible damage to my esophagus.
I begged my doctor to do an endoscopy and dialate my esophagus because it feels to me like its swollen shut sometimes and he refused, he said he didn't see a reason to.
I had an ensoscopy and colonoscopy when my problems first started about 3 years ago and not one since then, I am scared that when I finally do get back to the doctor to get one done that the damage he is going to see is going to very bad.
I wonder if by now with no treatment now in several years, and worsening swallowing problems if I have Barretts now or worse esophageal cancer.
I am so scared! I don't know what to do. I don't have insurance I can't go to the doctor. I have major panic attacks and feel like I'm going to go crazy sometimes or I'm going to die without getting the treatment and help I need.
The only thing I've been taking is over the counter liquid Gaviscon when the symptoms get real bad and ginger tea seems to help. I can't swallow solid foods and haven't been able to for several years. I can't remember the last time I ate pizza or a hamburger.
I just want help so I can lead a normal life again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
Alagaesia
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User
Re: Scared! My heartburn is out of control.

There are a few things you can try. I use 3 things. After a meal I take a digestive enzyme and papaya chewable. I get these from a health store. I also take a chlorophyll pill once a day. These 3 things keep my GERD symptoms away and I feel just fine. A probiotic may also help you. Something that gets rid of yeast and puts good bacteria in your body at the same time.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
BrownRice
(male)

BrownRice HB User

Hello Alagaesia,
It seems like you are in a situation,not too different from mine.
Now, to start,i want to urge you to take a deep breath,and relax.
You sound like a very emotional person,and I used to feel just about the
same way when i started to experience the horror or stomach indigestion over five years ago.
Now,let me say at this point,that they way we handle ourselves(mentally),is going to affect the results we get.So,one major step towards improvement,and eventual healing,is to set the mind,to believe that there is a solution to that desease,and to be determined to find it,and stop worryng too much.
Now,there are some lifestyles that you may have to adapt to,even though you may not want it.That's avoiding foods that make your symtoms worse,and again,it's up to you to identify those foods.In my case,i found out about beef/meat,pizza,soy,cookies,chocolate, etc... And a lot of self-control is needed for it.
You might also want to commit to drinking a lot of water, regularly throughout the day,every day.Avoid,if you can,eating when you aren't hungry,and don't leave yourself hungry for long either. So be sensitive to your stomach,after three hours of eating,so you don't wait too long to eat.
If you don't take any digestive enzyme,you might want to get one from the health food store( i use "super enzyme",of "NOW" brand).some aren't mild in the stomach.Probiotic may be good as well.You have to chose the right one. I tried numerous brands,till i finally got to the one that is not harsh on my stomach.It's "Nature's way" brand.There are a lot of probiotics by nature's way,but i use "Reuteri",and "Bifidus".Reuteri should help.
Also,you might want to try a colon cleanse. I prefer the "Renew life" brand.The company is not far from me,and I highly recommend their product,because i began to have a clue about what might actually be wrong with my stomach,after using the"first clease","smart cleanse" and "advance cleanse",
all by renew life.They have other products that might help anyone with persistant and harshly uncomfortable indigestion,as the company is digestive health oriented.
Also,it's important to be aware that many digestion problems,are actually as a result of ulcer in the stomach,and stomach ulcer can take a long time to heal,and healing require abstinence from favorite foods that crash with smooth digestion.I wish you well

Last edited by BrownRice; 02-10-2007 at 09:48 PM. Reason: mistake

Old 02-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
gallible
(female)

gallible HB User

I agree with both Alagaesia and BrownRice. I am on enzymes and probiotics and believe strongly in natural healing and mind/body influences. I would like to add this as well...find another doctor! It is amazing what we ALL, myself included, put up with from the medical profession. Regardless of your panic attacks (I have them too) and PAST test results, you deserve to have answers to your discomforts. Please let us know how you are doing.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
WannaBeFreeToRoam
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi,

I just wanted to put in my nickels worth. I do take meds and go to a gastro dr. You do sound like you need to change drs. when you can afford to.

I also wait 2 hours after eating to lay down. It helps me to have good posture most of the time. Like sitting up straight instead of slouching or bending over a book or computer. IMO it is better to not eat big meals. That is when it feels like you are full up to your neck.

I take Nexium, 1 hour before I eat breakfast. It is the only thing that works for me. And I cannot eat fried, greasy or fatty foods. Nothing like: hot dogs, sausages or lunch meat.

Do not drink bubbly drinks or soda or too much caffeine. No alcohol either. No acidic foods, like lemons, oranges, pickles or tomatoes. Probably more that I have not listed are the no nos.

I do eat yogurt at least 1 x day. Also Dan Active which is a probiotic drink found at grocery stores. If I do not eat right for a day or two, and I do get my gerd back, I also take Pepcid Completes - up to 4 per day. And then an over counter drug for stomach acid - cannot remember its name, but it starts with a T.

I did have lots of stomach ulcers, but they are gone now. I do have esophageal varies, gastritis, Gerd, IBS, and a hernia between my esophagus and stomach (forgot that name too).

Like someone else said, breathe, breathe, breathe. If you need to go to your library or sit at Barnes and Nobles and read books pertaining to this problem and anxiety. Stress and anxiety make stomach problems much worse!!!

Sorry for the long post. More than a quarters worth, I know!!! :>

I do hope you try some of the help that everyone has given you. But, I know that a lot of it costs $ too. But you have to do something or you will go nuts!

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

Wannabe

Old 02-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
Alagaesia
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

I just wanted to add that I used to have GERD pretty bad. No matter what I ate or drank I always felt sick. It was getting to the point where I felt so sick I felt like I had to close my eyes all the time because I felt horrible. I had been going to the doctors for years and no one knew what was wrong with me. I heard oh its nothing, come back if things get worse, hmmm that's puzzling, and so forth. I had been going to the doctors for around 3 years and I was getting to the point where I thought maybe I just imagining things since every doctor told me nothing is wrong. I finally ended up seeing an allergist since I had many sinus problems. He's the one who told me I have acid reflux. At the time he gave me prevacid and after taking 1 pill I started to feel better. I couldn't believe all those years of suffering and all I had was GERD. I can't believe one doctor couldn't figure it out. I'm now off of prevacid and I only take the things I mentioned in my earlier post. Don't give up. I know its really hard to find a good doctor in this country. All of my family and friends have really started to complain about going to the doctor. They'll have a health problem and the doctor says either its nothing or they don't know what it is, and if they don't know what it is then they'll just kind of guess how to treat them.

Last edited by Alagaesia; 02-12-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
Hamilton92
Veteran
(female)

Thank you all for your support and commenting me on my post. It means more than you know that you all know what I'm going through because you have stomach problems like or similar to mine.
Last night my stomach was burning so bad it was outrageous. I have been drinking ginger lemon tea and sometimes it helps. I found a new drink at the store called DanActive. Has anyone tried it? It says its loaded with probiotics to help your digestive system. I got blueberry and its actually really good tasting. I don't know yet if it will work, too soon to tell.
I would very much rather go the herbal natural way to relieve my symptoms, I drank so much Gaviscon last night and it didn't even touch the burning in my stomach. Everything I ate or drank felt like it was squeezing down my esophagus too. I have been sipping on tea and eating malt o meal this morning and I'm afraid to push anything else.
Everytime I eat something my whole esophagus and upper stomach feels gritty.
I just wonder if it has anything to do with my gallbladder becuase on an ultrasound my doc couldn't find it he said then a hida scan showed it was filling up too slowly and he didn't mention anything after that, he just said it could still be my gallbladder. As soon as I get health insurance I'm going to find another gastroenterologist.
Another thing that scared me is this morning I was dreaming and in my dream my friend that I was talking to I remember in my dream that my chest started to get tight like there was something stuck, as if I had swallowed something and it got stuck. Well it woke me up and my upper chest felt like there was something stuck there and I woke up in a panic, its like if you had eaten something and it just sits there at the top of your chest and won't go down. Of course I got a drink and I was just find but it felt weird and scary. What was that all about? Has anyone ever woken up with any feeling like that? My dream wasn't a nightmare so I didn't wake up in that sort of way, I just remember me and my friend in my dream sitting talking and then the chest tightening feelings started and woke me up. I've never had nighttime reflux or acid that woke me up from my sleep. I don't really think thats what it was, I didn't feel burning or an acidy taste or anything. I also kind felt like air trapped, like a burp got stuck or something.
Anyways sorry to make my post so long again.
One last question for anyone. If I start on natural vitamins and mineral etc for my digestive system what should I start with? There are so many probiotics and I've heard of chlorophyll, aloe vera, different juices are supposed to help, where do I begin?
Thanks again!

Old 02-19-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
Sanchez1
(female)

Sanchez1 HB User
Talking Re: Scared! My heartburn is out of control.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I constantly burn and ache in my stomach right above my belly button mostly. Everyday all day long I burn. I constantly feel like at the top of my throat is clogged up and that I'm going to choke if I eat or drink or not its always there.
I have noticeable decay of my teeth, my enamel on a few of my teeth are wearing away, I've read that is a symptom of GERD.
I haven't been to a gatroenterologist in several months since I lost my job due to a layoff so no health insurance. He just shoves prevacid at me says have a nice day. I quit taking the prevacid because it just doesn't do a thing for me.
I have been suffering for about 3 years now and I am scared that I am doing permanent, irreversible damage to my esophagus.
I begged my doctor to do an endoscopy and dialate my esophagus because it feels to me like its swollen shut sometimes and he refused, he said he didn't see a reason to.
I had an ensoscopy and colonoscopy when my problems first started about 3 years ago and not one since then, I am scared that when I finally do get back to the doctor to get one done that the damage he is going to see is going to very bad.
I wonder if by now with no treatment now in several years, and worsening swallowing problems if I have Barretts now or worse esophageal cancer.
I am so scared! I don't know what to do. I don't have insurance I can't go to the doctor. I have major panic attacks and feel like I'm going to go crazy sometimes or I'm going to die without getting the treatment and help I need.
The only thing I've been taking is over the counter liquid Gaviscon when the symptoms get real bad and ginger tea seems to help. I can't swallow solid foods and haven't been able to for several years. I can't remember the last time I ate pizza or a hamburger.
I just want help so I can lead a normal life again.
This is me exactly. I think I am even more panicked knowing that I don't have any insurance. The what ifs? cause so much stress and anxiety.

I read a book called No More Heartburn by Sherry Rogers. Not sure how the book fared, some of it is confusing. She insists that yeast candida is the culprit for most of our stomach issues. She has a 3-week diet of no sugars or yeast products, or anything "in a package". I did it strictly for a week, then felt so weak without any sugars in my body, I slowly added the foods back. I didn't seem to have as much esophogeal spams, but I had hearburn each and every day, all day. Because of this, I also stopped the diet. Even a banana gives me heartburn!

The next thing I am trying is probotics. I ordered some Acidolophus (?) tablets, some Aloe Vera and some garlic tabs (for ulcers), and expect them anyday. I really hope they work, my doctor really can't seem to treat this effectively.

Just know you are not alone, I know it's hard to believe that, though.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #9
Hamilton92
Veteran
(female)

Thank you so much Sanchez! It makes me feel somewhat better knowing I am not the only one that feels this way.
How long have you been suffering? i just want to put an end to this before it turns into Barretts or something worse. I hope it hasn't gotten that far but I think I would know if it had.
I don't get the classic heartburn acid reflux feeling of acid washing up into my esophagus. Its just my stomach burning 24/7. Sometimes my throat burns but not very often
I also get feelings, like tonight its really bad, of my tongue being swollen and raw feeling like I just burnt it on hot coffee.
That is very disturbing feeling and it really scares me!
Does anyone have a fear or throwing up with their acid reflux? I have only thrown up once or twice during my years of suffering and the nasty, acidy burning taste was very scary, I couldn't breathe hardly. I never forget that.
But since I already have swallowing problems getting food and drink to go down I'm scared that when I get really nauseated that if I do get to the point where I vomit that it will get stuck coming back up and I'll choke to death on my own vomit.
Am I being stupid feeling this way? Could this really happen?
Thank you Sanchez and everyone for you much appreciated support.
Sanchez please let me know how the natural remedies work for you.
I have heard of apple cider vinegar with mother. Does anyone think that will help my symptoms? I'm scared the acidity of the vinegar will make it worse.
Please any experiences with apple cider vinegar and which are the best brands to buy please post and let me know.
I'm thinking of going out tomorrow to the health foods store and buying some to try.
Thank you all again so much!

Old 02-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
Hamilton92
Veteran
(female)

A good book that I'm reading right now is by Kevin Trudeau called Natural Remedies, I think, I don't have to book in front of me right this sec but he tells of all kinds of sicknesses that have been healed by natural remedies.
I know he lists for acid reflux, bloating, indigestion apple cider vinegar, probiotics, gallbladder cleanse, colon cleanse, heavy metal cleanse and some others. I'm going to start with one thing at a time though with the apple cider vinegar. How much do I take starting off? Is it really bad tasting and can it be mixed with anything to lessen the taste or is it best to drink it straight?

Old 02-19-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
Alagaesia
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez1 View Post
This is me exactly. I think I am even more panicked knowing that I don't have any insurance. The what ifs? cause so much stress and anxiety.

I read a book called No More Heartburn by Sherry Rogers. Not sure how the book fared, some of it is confusing. She insists that yeast candida is the culprit for most of our stomach issues. She has a 3-week diet of no sugars or yeast products, or anything "in a package". I did it strictly for a week, then felt so weak without any sugars in my body, I slowly added the foods back. I didn't seem to have as much esophogeal spams, but I had hearburn each and every day, all day. Because of this, I also stopped the diet. Even a banana gives me heartburn!

The next thing I am trying is probotics. I ordered some Acidolophus (?) tablets, some Aloe Vera and some garlic tabs (for ulcers), and expect them anyday. I really hope they work, my doctor really can't seem to treat this effectively.

Just know you are not alone, I know it's hard to believe that, though.

Acidophilus is good but you may want to take an anti yeast product with it. There are a few anti fungul/anti yeast products out there that have a bunch of fungal/yeast fighting herbs in it.

Closed Thread