It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

alcohol and gastritis

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
mcw2
(male)

mcw2 HB User
alcohol and gastritis

For the last 8 months or so, I have developed a serious of sensations the day after consuming more than 3 or 4 drinks of alcohol. The more I drink, the greater the effect of the symptoms. The symptoms which typically last for 24 hrs. include; fatigue, feeling of exteme fullness, shortness of breath, stomach chruning among other things. I have had numerous tests including endoscopy and the dr. said that I have minor gastritis. If I abstain from alocohol, I do not get these symptoms. My questions are: is there a certain medication that could possibly decrease the sensations I feel the next day? Are certain types of alchohol more difficult for the stomach to process? Is this usally temporary or permanent? I might add that I usually consume 2 or 3 glasses of wine a day and used to drink more heavily on the weekends. This problem did not ever occur until about 8 months ago. It is as if it appeared overnigt. I will add that my stress level during that time was much greater than in the past. Has anyone else here shared these symptoms when drinking alcohol? By the way, my stomach does not seem to burn when I am drinking, as with some of the research I have read. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: alcohol and gastritis

When you drink alcohol, you deplete your system of magnesium. 1 drink causes a 500% increase urine your very next time you urinate. The more you drink the worse it is!!

Lack of magnesium causes spasms and cramping. Magnesium is present in every cell of your body and 67% is in the bones.
It is also needed for the absorption of calcium and it's used in about 300 enzymes.

Last edited by Harry; 03-04-2007 at 10:49 PM.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
sadtummy
(male)

sadtummy HB User

Some of the symptoms you mention could be heart related. Be sure your doctor has ruled out any heart involvement. Alcohol is alcohol, doesn't matter if you drink beer, wine, or hard liquor. It is generally recommended that men do not exceed two drinks per day to maintain good health. One drink is ideal. Alcohol can damage your liver and pancreas, both life threatening issues. Gastritis is irritated by alcohol. You might try an over-the-counter acid inhibitor like famotidine (Pepcid AC), or similar product prior to consuming alcohol. Famotidine will inhibit stomach acid production and might make you feel better. It will not prevent damage to your liver and/or pancreas. You should also have your liver and pancreas enzymes checked and possibly get an abdominal ultrasound to see if those organs are showing signs of disease.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
mcw2
(male)

mcw2 HB User

thanks for the comments. I had an abdominal ct scan, everything came back clear. I had an ekg, did a stress test and wore a halter monitor. Everything came back excellent on that. I am 32 now, and maybe my body is just reacting a bit differently these days.

Closed Thread