It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Mastic Gum

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Ladybiker
(female)

Ladybiker HB User
Mastic Gum

Does GNC sell Mastic Gum? Is that the actual name? I did a search on website at GNC, and it did not find Mastic Gum. Wanted to see if I have the name right before I drive to try to find Mastic Gum? Is it an actual gum sold at the health food store? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Mastic Gum

Mastic Gum is capsule. It is made from the gum of a tree that grows in Greece -- It come in 500mgm caps -- 120 per bottle -- The brand I used is Mastica and I bought the last bottle from the Vitamin Shoppe.

Harry

Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
sadtummy
(male)

sadtummy HB User

Hi Ladybiker, hope you're feeling better. I too am interested in mastic gum and found it in a local health food store. Pretty expensive stuff. Be sure to get the 1gm dosage as that seems to be what the few studies I could find used. Solaray makes a product called Mastic Gum. I would think you could find it in any well stocked health food store. Seems this stuff has been used for centuries for stomach ailments. Not a whole lot of scientific study on this product but that is to be expected since no pharmaceutical would be able to make any money on a natural product. The New England Journal of Medicine published a study some years ago indicating that mastic gum was very effective in killing H Pylori in vitro (test tube), even in very low doses. Unfortunately other studies, in vivo, showed that mastic gum was not effective against H Pylori. The study went on to suggest that mastic might not actually come in contact with H Pylori as it found refuge in the mucus and tissues of the human stomach. However, there is much anecdotal evidence that mastic is effective in treating a variety of stomach disorders and it is possible that it works by some other mode than actually killing H Plyori. So I, for one, am going to try it. I'm not even positive for H Pylori though I do have gastritis.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:25 AM   #4
Ladybiker
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

Sadtummy -- have you been taking the mastic gum, or had any problems with it? I still have not driven to the health food store to get any, as it is about a 40 minute drive for me to get there from the house, and I just haven't wanted to go yet.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

LadyB,

When I take an antibiotic, I usually end up with gastritis. I have found that Mastica really works for me.

Since 2001, I guess I have bought and used it 4 different times with no problems.
Gastritis as you know is an inflammation of the stomach lining.
I found that this inflammation can upset your upper digestive system including pain along with nausea.

I don't like Reglan --it just empties your stomach but the side effects with me is that it depletes my electrolytes like potassium & magnesium and gives me heart beat irregularities-- big times. The Doc called it tremors -- LOL

Also, the nausea med you are taking- phenxxxx(sp)-- is not working for you and I have used it in the past but it doesn't work for me either. I use a homeopathic remedy Ipecacuanha-- it's alot better.

So, when you go to get the Mastiic Gum, probiotic (PB-8 is OK) that you also need to pick up several homeopathic remedies that will help-- the one for nausea and Magnesia Phos for muscle spasms and cramping!!

LadyB I wish yo well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-09-2007 at 08:00 AM.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
Ladybiker
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

Thanks Harry. You always of lots of information. I wrote down your suggestions, and am on my way to go get the Mastica (mastic gum) and I want ot try the Ipecacuanha. I don't think I'm going to try the Reglan. I don't think I like what I've read on the internet about it.

I am also going to get the probiotic (PB-8).

Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Ladybiker
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

Harry -- I went to the vitamin store today and bought the Ipecacuanha-- Now, I don't know for sure, but I have not used the prescription for the nausea this afternoon. I have only used the Ipecacunha, and only twice, and so far it's worked much better than the prescription. I'm so pleased. The nausea is almost gone.

I also bought the PB 8 (Pro-Biotic) and Mastic Gum. Do I use both??

If you could just solve the pain in my upper left chest that continues to stay with me (not heart), but it's not heartburn, I would say you are a miracle worker. I have not started the probiotics today. Will start them tomorrow (guess I'm a little chicken starting everything all at one time). I'm not sure if it's my esophagas causing the pains in the upper chest just under the left breast bone. I went back to the cardiologist yesterday, she did another EKG, but heart still is fine -- she says it's in great shape. So somehow I've got to get this other thing under control, and I'll be feeling great.

I know you mentioned one time your wife was diagnosed with nutcracker esophagus, but I don't remember what you said she did for it.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

LadyB,

I take the Mastica -- 2 -500mgm capsules twice daily between meals,

The probiotic capsules and are best also taken on an empty stomach -- at bed time. PB-8 was one of the first developed that is not affected by stomach acids -- at least according to the manufacturer.

The manufacturer of Mastica and my Alternative Doctor(an MD) says you need a probiotic supplement when taking Mastica for best results.

I hope you bought the Magnesia Phos for muscle cramping and spasms. If it is muscular like your Heart Doc said -- then a few doses of Mag. Phos should help. Like the remedy for nausea!!

I have used homeopathic remedies for 30 years and is most excellent when indicated with no side-effects and relatively inexpensive.

This left sided chest pain that you have-- Give me some more symptoms??-- Like what type of pain is it, is it constant or comes and goes, does anything makes it better or worse like heat or cold, movement, drinking hot or cold stuff, swollowing, does pressure make it better or worse. These are called modalities in homeopathy and mean something but to regular Doctors mean nothing. The rear and oddest symptoms are the best because they give a picture of how you feel.

For example -- pain can be bruising, stinging, sharp, shooting, tearing, stabbing, burning, aching, stitching, bone pain, constictive, pain lying on painful area, small spot or entire left side of chest, does it change places liker wandering. Each type pain is treated with a different remedy.

In homeopathy the Totality of Symptoms are taken to treat a person--- I don't but on rear occations ever treat a person but have treated family members or friends these include a very detail list of Mental, Emotional and Physical symtoms. I am not very good at it but know the procedure.

Take Care---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-09-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
Ladybiker
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

The pain on the left is just under the left breast, not directly under but just a tad lower. It feels like heart pains. I know it's not muscle. It is a charlie horse type feeling or a pinching sensation. Lately it doesn't seem to matter whether I eat or drink. It's on the left where I keep being told my gallbladder was on the right, and the pancreas is on the right. I asked the surgeon about the pancreas when I had my follow-up, but he said pancreas is way under the gallbladder, so I think what he meant was he couldn't see it or test it. I keep telling the doctors about it, but no one seems concerned --

I did go back to my cardiologist yesterday, who did another EKG -- said it was fine. Last night was a rough night for me. I am gassy and have diarrahea and now nauseated really bad again. This went on all night last night. I'm still nauseated again today, but will confess I haven't taken a lot of nausea stuff, as I'm trying to see if I'm finally getting rid of the nausea (but I'm not).

I'm getting scared and keep thinking I need to go to the ER and tell them about this pinching sensation and that seems to bring on the nausea more too.

I have had this pinching sensation or charlie horse type feeling for 3 months or so. That's what sent me to the cardiologist. I have had an endoscope, and was diagnosed with H Pylori and mild gastritis, but I can't believe all this nausea and stuff is from that. And of course the gallbladder was removed as it was functioning only at 7%.

When I first started having the extreme nausea is when I had the HIDA scan, and it just hasn't eased up. I wonder if the HIDA scan has ever caused this in anyone else? I thought after the GB surgery it would be better. It hasn't. I don't know if there is a "kink" in my system. I called the surgeon's office about it yesterday. They said if it doesn't get any better then he would do a "small bowel series" or something like that. I guess I'm having a bad day with it today, and am scared.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
sadtummy
(male)

sadtummy HB User

Ladybiker, do a search on "abdominal anatomy". You'll see three organs that might cause problems in your mid to upper left quadrant. Stomach, large bowel, and pancreas. The pancreas is not on the right side. The liver and gall bladder are on the right side. H Pylori, if not treated, could cause your symptoms. Were you treated? Did the doctor retest after treatment? Ultrasound and blood work can help diagnose pancreas problems. Think they do CT scans in that area as well. Large bowel needs either a colonoscopy or a barium enema.

My pain/tummy aches continue but I am fairly sure it is gastritis. Having varying luck with Mylanta and Pepcin AC. See my GI doc Monday.

I can't recall...but did you have this same nausea before your surgery?

Old 03-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

LadyB,
Sorry for all the pain and anxiety!!

As you know with answers come more questions.
Is the pain you're having below your ribs?

Was the endoscope test done before your HIDA Scan or after?
Were you treated for H pylori bacteria infection before your GB surgery ? 85% of all ulcers are caused by H.pylori bacteria. If it's not an ulcer or gastritis--- then I think it may be a problem your intestines. Your abdoman is full of something -- there is no spare room anywhere.

I once had a needle biopsy of a pancreatus mass and it was mid way between my naval and the V of my chest. The RadioIogist used a 6 inch long needle that I was looking at and he said, "I think I missed the stomach" but I had a black stool for 3 days and ran a low grade fever. I had to take an antibiotic that I had to go my PCP to get because the Gasto Doctor thought it would be OK-- I never went back to that GI doc.

I had my GB removed almost 10 years ago with pain between my right hip and lower ribs toward the front in line with my naval. MY HIDA scan was OK at 75% but I had many gall stones and my GB would eventually cause problems. After surgery, the pain has never gone away completely-- sorta on again and off and I concluded that was trapped GAS in my colon. Now I take Magnesia Phos to relax my colon when it gets real bad and it goes away.

God Bless---Harry

Old 03-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
Ladybiker
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

Hey Dr Harry -- (tee hee). I had the endoscope first, (diagnosed with H Pylori and mild gastristis), H Plylori was treated with 7 days antibiotics. Then about 2 weeks later had the HIDA scan (at my insistence). I knew something was wrong. when the HIDA scan was done when he did that last little burst of CCK, it pained my whole stomach, like a bad stomach ache, and then the nausea came. I attributed the nausea to that, and we on my merry way home. Hasn't stopped since then. And as it turns out HIDA scan showed 7% functionality. Sometimes now I wonder if I did the right thing having it out, as I didn't have nausea until I had the HIDA scan, maybe I'm allergic to the CCK, but it should have cleared out by now.

When I went to the health food store yesterday I bought some "Ginger Root" - it's capsules, but I took the first one tonight -- so far so good, but it may be because I've pumped myself full of everything else to include the long named one that starts with the letter I...........

I did buy the PB8 (probiotic acidophilius for life), mastic gum, and Passion Flower. Understand Passion Flower is supposed to help with anxiety.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
Ladybiker
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

Hmmm meant to ask is that Magesium Phob you are talking about the PB8 that I bought? I may need to try Citracel also. I'm scared to use anything like that right now though.

You sure have been through a whole - -and the thing with the needle -- OUCH!!!

I wonder how SadTummy and STARS are doing? Haven't seen any recent notes from them.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
Ladybiker
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

Oh okay, one last answer to question -- I forgot to answer -- the pain does feel like it's just above the whole rib area but just below the left breast, or right under it.

I even forced myself to walk on this beautiful day here for 30 minutes. Thought that would help. I have to say right now (knock on tons of wood), I'm feeling okay. Sure was scary last night.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #15
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

LadyB,
Sadtummy's last post is # 10 on the previous page!!

Harry

Closed Thread