It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

terribly constipated after gb surgery..

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2007, 05:24 AM   #1
stars13
(female)

stars13 HB User
terribly constipated after gb surgery..

Harry, the surgery itself wasn't too bad but now i'm so bloated. i guess i ate too well.

this happened to me after my last operation but i thought it was because it was a hemmoroid surgery.

the day of surgery, tuesday i took 6 oxydoron's and then yesterday i only took 2,, a half apill at a time. but i guess it's still enough to keepme bound up.

i drank a glass of citricel yesterday, took 2 stool softeners at different times, and then 2 Tbls. of milk of magnesium about 8 last night and again around 2 am.

i was wondering if i should use a fleet enema or ducolax. any suggestions from anyone would be sooo appreciated.

stars

Last edited by stars13; 03-08-2007 at 05:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
sadtummy
(male)

sadtummy HB User
Re: terribly constipated after gb surgery..

Be sure you're drinking plenty of water or other liquids. Walking is a natural stimulant, long walks will help a great deal. Good for you too!

Old 03-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
stars13
(female)

stars13 HB User

I have been drinking alot of water sadtummy and been pacing around house. still have snow and ice here in Pgh. hoping for better weather soon.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

just sounds like normal side effects from the drugs. Wouldn't worry at this point. What you are doing will eventually work. You probably haven't eaten a lot anyway.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #5
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

stars,

As Titchou said -- side-effects of Meds causes constipation. ALL pain meds will do it and some people are just more sensitive than others.

I guess with the weather-- you'll have to walk the house and lay off the pain meds. Also, eat lightly. I would have used an enama.

I don't ever use a laxative but it is very rear that I use any pain meds unless -- Absolutely necessary.

One thing that I do is I don't ever use anything that I don't think will make me healthier -- and pain meds don't they just disrupt your entire GI tract for a little temporary pain relief that I am sure was not that bad ---

Stars -- don't complicate your recovery by creating more problems for yourself.
If you take a fiber supplement like Citrucel then do it daily not now and then. A fiber supplement like Citrucel is one of the safest things you can take daily for BMs.

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-08-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:55 AM   #6
stars13
(female)

stars13 HB User

What a long, horrible day yesterday was. I called dr. office to talk to nurse and she said do whaterve i have to to make things move.

You won't believe what i had to do. during the whole day i used 3 fleet enemas, took 3 dulcolex, tried 2 glycerin suppostitories and still nothing worked. and remember i had also taken 4 Tbls of milk of magnesium the day before. I was so miserable and in so much pain. couldn't eat atall. finally around 1 am i pulled out a half of a bottle of magnisium citrate i forgot i had from last years surgery. drank that and started moving by 4 am. i am feeling so much relief right now, but i am still sore and swollen . is that normal for day 4. i am definetly not taking any pain meds.

Not to be too gross, but when i was tested last year by colorectal surgeon before surgery, he told me that part of my colon was paralyzed probably from one of my childbirths. i wonder if that is why i get totally stopped up after anesthesia or pain meds. I am telling you, it is awful. it's not just being normally constipated. oh well, it is over now, thank God.

Yes, i plan on eating light now Harry, for a while, but i do take citricel every day. have for about 6 yrs now.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

one more paranoid question, do you think i should still be so sore and swollen? It still hurts to get up and down and to walk sometimes. do you think it's from being so constipated?

Titchou , what do you think? Sorry to be such a pain. I am going to try to walk sadtummy, suppose to go up in the 50's today.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:06 AM   #7
ICC
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

hi stars --- sorry you are having problems. I had the GB out about two years ago. never had any bowel problems but boy do I now. All of a sudden I am lactose intolerant, one day it's running the next i can't go at all. I have noticed several foods that didn't bother me while i had it that I can't touch now. One being turkey. I can eat a little of it on Thanksgiving but God forbid I try any the enxt day. I am doubled over and cramped for 24 hours. Wishing you the best.

ICC

Old 03-09-2007, 06:08 AM   #8
sadtummy
(male)

sadtummy HB User

Part of your colon is paralyzed? I would look into that further. Did your doctor mention any consequences to that condition? Are there any fixes?

Old 03-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #9
stars13
(female)

stars13 HB User

Don't think so , nothing i 'm ready to look into. normally with the citricel and stool softeners i'm alright.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:45 AM   #10
stars13
(female)

stars13 HB User

No, sadtummy, it seems as long as i use citricel and stool softeners iam ok.

my first daughter was a rough birth, he said it probably happened then. she's 40 now, and i've been alright except after surgeries.

how long were you sore/swollen after your surgery. the incisions look great, not red or anything. i'm just still pretty puffy and sore when i move.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:23 AM   #11
Ladybiker
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

I healed up nicely from the surgery. As far as I can tell I'm not swollen, and I'm not sore at all. Today is Day #12 for me. STARS, you are only on Day #5, right? I was sore for about a week.

My problem is the nausea. Doctor ordered Reglan and the other anti-nausea prescription again today. Yesterday I went to my cardiologist (again) because (again) I wanted to make sure the pain in the upper left chest is not my heart. Just seems like there is no end to it, doesn't it? Cardiologist (again) said my heart is fine. Had EKG, etc.

Anyway, gallbladder surgeon wants me to have a small bowel series if the nausea doesn't go away. Then he also ordered this Reglan that has me concerned. I'm not sure I'm going to take it. Says it can cause tremors, etc. I may just continue to take the pheneghan (sp?) and hope this nausea goes away eventually. How about anyone else that has had their gallbladder out. How long did you continue to have nausea?

As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the nausea, I wouldn't know I had anything done. Actually my nausea started right after the HIDA scan, and hasn't stopped since then (to include having the gallbladder out).

Old 03-09-2007, 08:14 AM   #12
stars13
(female)

stars13 HB User

Ladybiker, today is day 4 for me, so i guess it 's not unusual to still be sore, huh? I'm a bit nauseaus myself today but i'm hoping it 's from all the crap i took yesterday. i'm going to eat some yogert, maybe that will help. I'm glad you have no heart problem but i know how frustrating it is to not feel well and not know why?

hang in there, stars

Old 03-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #13
Ladybiker
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

STARS I think you are doing great. It's only been 4 days or so. I was still sore just in one area, near the navel, but now I don't even know it's there. I can do anything I want, and I don't even remember having anything done because none of that bothers me. Just got to get my system straightened out now.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:57 AM   #14
stars13
(female)

stars13 HB User

Oh Lady, you made my day. Thats exactly where i hurt and it seems swollen. i was afraid i pulled something because like sadtummy, my first night home i was up every hr. having to pee. it hurt like heck getting in and out of bed .

i just got up about a half hour ago and it does feel a little better today. I don't know what i would have done without the help of all my new freinds here. just knowing someone else has had the same problem makes it easier to deal with , you then know it's a solvable problem.

Hope you have a better day today......stars

Old 03-10-2007, 07:36 AM   #15
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

stars,
I am glad to hear you are feeling some better.

As you know every surgery disrupts your system and it takes some time to get rid of the that feeling of being operated on.
I think it's not only the surgery part but also being put to sleep that puts the body out of wack.

When I had 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed 5 years ago, I really thought that the surgeon had messed up-- I like many others don't like the feeling of "Where did the time GO" after surgery.
But every day will be an improvement and you will be glad that you had your GB removed -- gee it wasn't working very much anyway!!

God Bless---Harry

Closed Thread