It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

GB Attack During HIDA Scan?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
Zialady
(female)

Zialady HB User
GB Attack During HIDA Scan?

I'm scheduled for a HIDA scan next week as a prerequisite to surgery. I've been reading about the test and I've also read that when the CCK is injected, it sometimes actually causes a gall bladder attack.

I'm concerned because my recent attacks have lasted for 30 hours with violent vomiting and terrible pain. And that's just from eating (the right foods) too late in the evening! My GB is REALLY messed up.

Does anyone have any experience with an attack caused by the HIDA scan? From what I've read, the attacks lasted only 10 minutes or so (which I can handle), but I'm wondering if that's normal.

Is there any chance that the CCK injection will cause a full-blown attack?

I'm scared...

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
alamaz
(female)

alamaz HB User
Re: GB Attack During HIDA Scan?

when I had my HIDA scan it caused minor contractions that were uncomforatble but tolerable. The lab tech. was standing right next to me the whole time making sure i was okay. just ask ahead of time what happens if you react really badly but if I'm remembering correctly the injection isn't strong enough to bring on a full blowout attack.
Amy

Old 03-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
bananarama
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

When I had my HIDA scan, I had some really bad nausea and had sharp pains. I don't know what a gallbladder attack feels like, so i don't know. I know that I have not been able to eat since, but the doctors are saying it is not from the test, but I don't know. Hope things turn out ok for you!!

Old 03-18-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

ZiaL,

One person on this board was told to bring some half and half coffee creamer to use in place of the CCK. I don't recall how they made out but you can read her thread.

At that time I had no problems with using the regular method --- but everyone is different??

Harry

Old 03-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
miknan
(male)

miknan HB User

I am a lot like Leapfrog in that I don't know what a gallbladder attack actually feels like but during the ckk injection I was miserable. Severe nausea and sharp pain, I thought I wasn't going to be able to take it. It lasted as long they injected it, about 7 1/2 minutes according to the tech. The severe stuff went away just like that but I felt spent and the rest of that day I didn't feel particularly good. I also read that that half and half thread and I doubt a hospital would differ from their usual protocols. I work as an MRI tech and while I don't know much about Nuclear Medicine I do know know how Radiology depts do their business. Still, it couldn't hurt to ask. I will ask one of the techs next time I work.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

miknan,
THanks-- I think alot of people here would want to know including me!!

Harry

Old 03-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
miknan
(male)

miknan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
miknan,
THanks-- I think alot of people here would want to know including me!!

Harry

I will definately ask and post what I learn tomorrow. Any other questions anyone would like me to ask while I'm at it? Keep in mind I will be asking the tech and not talking to a doctor. I will post it late tomorrow night.

Last edited by miknan; 03-20-2007 at 01:29 PM. Reason: to make clearer

Old 03-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
miknan
(male)

miknan HB User

Talked to a nuclear med tech today and asked about the half and half. He said they use to use that or a like substance but it is "old school". The ckk is easier to administer the exact amount they want to get the results. He doesn't know of any place that doesn't use ckk now.

We talked about the use of morphine during the procedure. The do not give it to the patient to help their pain but it helps them see the gallbladder if the first tracer (?) doesn't show it well. You must have a driver with you or you will not get the morphine. I asked about letting people go then come back and he said that they would do that if the gb wasn't visualized. It could take up to 4 hours but that was rare. Mine lasted 1.5 hours and I guess that is about the usual time. He said hospitals will administer the ckk at different rates. Mine took 7.5 minutes. Another hospital he was at took as long as 30 minutes. The faster it is injected, the worse the reactions can be but that horrible feeling usually passes as soon as the injection ends. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask him if many people complain about nausea days after the test. I know another poster is sure this has caused or worsened their nausea. The tech said they also use to inject by hand but had a tendency to inject too fast that way. I pump injected mine. I know there isn't much new info in all this but thought I would post it anyway.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:52 AM   #9
bananarama
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Mine was hand injected. I actually just got over the loss of appetite, but now am just waiting for the nausea to go away. I went to the surgeon yesterday, and my surgery is scheduled for April 4th, which is a week and a half away. I can't believe they are gettin gme in so soon, but they said it needed to come out. He said I was a gallbladder atack waiting to happen. Yay (not).

Closed Thread