It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Just had the HIDA scan, now to the surgeon

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User
    Just had the HIDA scan, now to the surgeon

I have been suffering from extreme nausea and vomitting since September of 06. The doctors at first thougth it was my gallbladder, but the ultrasounds came back good, and then I had an endoscopy which showed mild gastritis. I have also had a CT scan, and it was fine. I have had several ultrasounds and other tests. Finally a couple of weeks ago the doctors told me to have a HIDA scan done, as well as a gastric emptying study. I got the results on Thursday (I had the HIDA on Tuesday). My EF is 9.5%, which I guess is normally supposed to be 35%? I am going to teh surgeon on Friday to set a date for surgery, but I am really nervous. I am 20 years old. I am in school right now, working two jobs, and at the end of the semester I am going to summer camp to work, a few states away form home. I don't know how long hte recovery is or anything. Since having the HIDA scan done, I have felt extremely nauseaus, and have no appetite, even though it has been several days (it is now Sunday). During the test, when they gave me the CCK I got violently ill, and had shooting pains. They gave me morphine while I was there, but no relief. Wondering what to do, and what is the best way to go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Just had the HIDA scan, now to the surgeon

Leapfrog,

For some people the CCK does produce problems -- There is a Poster here -- Ladybiker that has had problems ever since the HIDA scan and she has had GB surgery.

She has nausea and a pinching type of chest pain. So, for some people the HIDA Scan test can cause problems but with most -- it does not.
    I suggest you discuss your present problem and concerns with your surgeon before surgery.
    I am like you I would rather have the surgery with no problems that were caused by Testing.
    You certainly don't want to complicate your problems.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 03-19-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

Thank you so much! I am so nervous as to what to do about the surgery right now. Should I wait until the end of the semester, where I would have to miss working at the summer camp, or should I do it during the semester, and have to miss class? I am so confused, and I am scared now that my stomach is going to stay feeling like this. I am now back on Reglan and Phenergan for nausea, but so far they are not working to ease it, and my appetite is still not back. Thanks fo ryour reply!
    Daisy

Old 03-19-2007, 06:31 AM   #4
    Ladybiker
    (female)

Ladybiker HB User

Very interesting, because that's when my nausea started was when I had the HIDA scan. I've had the gallbladder removed since then, but the nausea has not gone away. I had pains also when I had the HIDA scan, and the extreme nausea at that point. I thought it would go away, especially after having the gallbladder removed. It did not. I am following up with the gastro doctor (not the surgeon) again tomorrow (Tuesday). I cannot understand what is causing the nausea. Most people that have their gallbladder removed seemed to get over it in a week, and go on. The surgeon gave me Reglan, but I only used one time. I've read too many bad things on it, I did not want to use it just to control nausea. To me there has to be some reason the HIDA scan caused the nausea. My gallbladder function was at 7% determined by the HIDA scan. I continue also to have a pinching sensation in the upper left chest area just below the left breast bone.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
    Ladybiker
    (female)

Ladybiker HB User

Leapfrog -- also if you find out how to control the nausea or what is causing it, I sure would appreciate an update. I also will do the same. I also have the pheneghan (sp?) that helps, but only temporarily. I too have no appetite. I have to force myself to eat what I do. Before the HIDA scan I had no nausea. I was only being tested by the HIDA scan because I insisted on it, because of the pains in the upper left chest part. Sometimes I wish I had never had the HIDA scan, and left well enough alone, but since the gallbladder was only functioning at 7%, I assume I would have had really bad problems later on. They just need to find out what is causing the nausea.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

That stinks that the HIDA did that!! Today wasn't so bad, adn I was able to eat rice for lunch, so I got some kind of food in, and baked some chicken strips while I was workign at CFA for my break. I can't eat much still, but at least I can eat a little bit. I hope that things go well at your appointment tomorrow!!

Closed Thread