It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Viral gastroenteritis - at my wit's end with the diarrhea

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
deenie
(female)

deenie HB User
Viral gastroenteritis - at my wit's end with the diarrhea

I got sick the Sunday before Easter so it'll be 2 wks on Sun. that I've had diarrhea. I'm almost positive it's a virus since my two preschoolers had it, then my DH and then me. It's pretty unlikely that I have something totally unrelated. I definitely got it the worst.

I finally saw my internist yesterday who used to be a gastroenterologist. He said diarrhea can definitely last a couple of weeks. He gave me Donatel (sp?) for cramping and said I could continue to take Imodium and Pepto, although they're just "band-aids." He also said I could resume my normal diet because I said I was going crazy eating plain rice, plain toast, turkey breast, yogurt, etc. He gave me a script for a stool culture but he really feels like it won't show anything since this whole house was sick with a virus.

It actually did get better last Friday (after about 6 days) and I wasn't even taking Imodium at the time. Then I went off the BRAT diet on Easter and then it started again the next day. Usually my stomach isn't sensitive (my Dr. said sometimes those with digestive issues take longer to bounce back and can relapse).

I know I had a bad case because my DH took Imodium and only went to the bathroom 3x and then he was done with it. I took 4 pills in one day and still was going constantly for a few days. It was horrible.

My Dr. really feels that I don't need to "rest" my gut and that the BRAT diet is old thinking. He said to stay away from a lot of dairy and rich or spicy foods but to resume trying other things. He said a virus is self-limiting and it will go away when it's ready. He said my sensitive stomach might give me more gas or something while it's like this but it won't "give" me diarrhea or delay my recovery. When I did watch my diet, it slowly got better. I just can't stand it anymore.

I even went as far as drinking rice water. Yuck! Any ideas as to when I can resume a normal life...I really feel for those with IBS. This is tough....thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
deenie
(female)

deenie HB User
Moderator - could you move this to Bowel Disorders instead of here? Thanks.

I didn't see that board until I posted here. I may get more appropriate responses there. Thank you.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
duse77
(female)

duse77 HB User
Re: Viral gastroenteritis - at my wit's end with the diarrhea

I have had the same thing as you now for a week. The diahrea went away after a few days but now I am experiencing severe cramping and increased bm's. I went to the doctor who told me the same thing as your. It is to the point that I want to stop eating alltoghether.. Please let me know if you have any advice.[/I]

Old 04-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
deenie
(female)

deenie HB User
Mine lasted 2 wks to the day

I'm now ok...so far. Relatively normal BM's and easing in to my regular diet. Keep with Imodium and Pepto as needed. Heating pad for cramps and stay away from too much dairy or heavy/spicy foods. Other than that, I started eating regular foods after about a week and a half and it's still ok. I still added bananas and toast but got so sick of eating that exclusively and my internist said I didn't have to do that. He was right...it ran its course. Just hope it lasts. This was miserable. Feel better....

Closed Thread