It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Long ago Hida scan results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
    elphers
    (female)

elphers HB User
    Long ago Hida scan results

Some of you may remember my post. I had a Hida Scan approximately a year ago, because I was having so much chest discomfort/pains/pressure. My GP's nurse suggetsed a Hida scan to rule out gallbladder instead of going right to a stress test.
    Lately I have been having right sided pain and I STILL have the chest pressure everyday! I did have a stress test which ruled out heart problems.
    Lately I have been wondering if my gallbladder can still be the culprit. The reason is-- I never got an explanation about something that happened during my Hida scan. I ended up being there for 5 hours! Even before the CCK part, a radiologist had to come down and see what the "fuss" was about. And a doctor had to be called because my GP was out of town. The technicians kept on saying that they "couldn't see IT"! What was "it"? Stupid me never asked, so I had to go for a closed MRI which made me a nervous wreck. After the MRI I went back down and had the rest of the Hida scan with the CCK.
    Does anyone know anything about this? What could this have meant? Anything? I was surprised when my GP's nurse called and said that my Hida scan results were ok. I mentioned the part about the MRI... but she didn't know what it was about either. Stupid me just let it go!!
    Now with having right sided pain and back pain and still the chest pains, it makes me wonder if it still could be my gallbladder. Or maybe this "nonvisualization" is more normal than I think?
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
    ingee
    (male)

ingee HB User
    Re: Long ago Hida scan results

If you have good insurance, or need an answer, I'd try get a doctor to run the test again just to rule out the fluke/anomaly.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:19 AM   #3
    miknan
    (male)

miknan HB User

I'm certainly no expert on Hida Scans but the tech told me sometimes they can't see the gallbladder and it (the hidascan) could take a long time. Sometimes they will give you morphine to help visualize the gallbladder but you must have driver there with you. Did they give you morphine? I am however an MRI tech, and we don't do any test of the gallbladder itself but do what is called an MRCP which looks at all the billiary and pancreatic ducts. Sometimes I have seen stones in the gallbladder but that is just because it happens to be in my pictures and not because I set up my slices to include it.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:11 AM   #4
    elphers
    (female)

elphers HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miknan View Post
    I'm certainly no expert on Hida Scans but the tech told me sometimes they can't see the gallbladder and it (the hidascan) could take a long time. Sometimes they will give you morphine to help visualize the gallbladder but you must have driver there with you. Did they give you morphine? I am however an MRI tech, and we don't do any test of the gallbladder itself but do what is called an MRCP which looks at all the billiary and pancreatic ducts. Sometimes I have seen stones in the gallbladder but that is just because it happens to be in my pictures and not because I set up my slices to include it.
    No, miknan, I was not given morphine. After the MRI, they just proceeded with the CCK part of the Hida scan. And I FINALLY drove home.
    I searched a little, and it said if there is nonvisualization of the gallbladder during a Hida scan, then there is blockage of the cystic duct, or the cystic duct is occluded. Does that mean gallstones? I'm sure I would have been told if I had gallstones! Thanks!

Closed Thread