It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Ultrasound and HIDA Scan done

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
    ShooterMN
    (male)

ShooterMN HB User
    Ultrasound and HIDA Scan done

For about the last two months now I have experienced discomfort just under my right rib cage and when it bothers me it will hurt when I cough hard and it feels like a pulled or strained muscle feeling but yet its not all the time so thats why I don't think thats what it or maybe its just sore and i irritate it when coughing I don't know but it is a weird feeling and only on the upper right side under the rib cage.

Now, I did go see my physician about a month ago, and she thought it could be my gallbladder and thats whats causing the discomfort when coughing as well, because it is pushing down when I cough etc. Well, she had me do an ultrasound, and that came back normal, so she had me do a HIDA scan. I haven't actually gotten the results back yet, but after a week without hearing anything I called a couple of days back to find out. Her nurse called back and said the results got sent in the mail but that everything looked normal in the HIDA scan. Now, I don't know what the next step is, and I suppose if it continues to bother me I should do a follow up appointment with the doctor again....but does anyone know if it could possibly still be the gallbladder yet if the ultrasound and hida scan results come back normal.

It really makes sense that thats what it could be becuase it gets triggered usually after drinking coffee sometimes or eating fattier foods along with some other foods. I can tolerate it for now, but its driving me crazy wondering what the heck is going on and I leave for a trip the end of this week so I suppose if when I get back it is still lingering I can schedule an appointment. Any thoughts though as far as if even though the ultrasound and hidascan come back normal....and if there can still be gall bladder issues is much appreciated? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
    sadtummy
    (male)

sadtummy HB User
    Re: Ultrasound and HIDA Scan done

Acid reflux could cause those symptoms. Have you tried antacids to see if they bring relief?

Pain when you cough can be caused by problems with the lungs or appendicits or even a muscle strain. I don't know if the gall bladder can cause that or not. Your liver is also on the upper right side. Did your doctor order blood work for liver and pancreas? Did he poke around at all to see if there were any tender areas? It is possible to have gall bladder stones that are causing symptoms but are too small to show up on the ultrasound. Ask your doctor about that possibility.

Closed Thread