It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Left, Upper, Midline Abdominal Pain Mystery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
Angie10
(female)

Angie10 HB User
Unhappy Left, Upper, Midline Abdominal Pain Mystery

Almost two months ago I starting noticing a dull pain on my left side just under the ribs when I would lay in bed. After two weeks the pain was so bad I was admitted to the hospital. The second night there I had excruciating pain midline from my sternum area up to my jaw. I developed a fever and by the following morning it hurt bad to breathe and talk. Later that day the doctors discharged me because, after bloodwork, an EKG, an ultrasound, an endoscopy, a HIDA scan without the contraction injection, and a chest and abdominal cat scan they couldn't find the cause. They thought it might have been an esophageal spasm and costochondritis (inflammation of the sternum ligaments).

I went back to my Gastroenterologist a few days later and she ordered another cat scan, colonoscopy, and a small bowel follow-thru x-ray, an MRCP. She also ordered more bloodwork and found my amylase level elevated. I was going to have an ERCP performed by another gastroenterologist but he felt it was not my pancreas. I have also developed occaisional pain on the right side under the ribs.

Then I started getting bad pain after eating and changed to a low fat diet. Now it doesn't matter what I eat. I'm in pain all the time, cannot sleep well and am therefore exhausted, and fight nausea. The pain has also spread further up the left and to the side. I can't lift anything heavy and it is worst in the evenings.

I haven't heard back on the small bowel follow-thru x-ray yet and have a HIDA scan scheduled for Monday with the constricting injection.

Has anyone ever had any problems like this? I have Celiac disease and was told by someone else that gallbladder disease goes hand in hand, but the pain is primarily in the center and to the left. Sorry for the lengthy post! Thank you for any information you can provide!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
LAnn82
(female)

LAnn82 HB User
Re: Left, Upper, Midline Abdominal Pain Mystery

Hi Angie10 .. Don't know if you still check the board here but I was wondering, have you found out what was causing your pain? Your story is similar to mine.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
hopesprings2
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User
Re: Left, Upper, Midline Abdominal Pain Mystery

maybe a kidney stone
or pancritis(might be spelled wrong)

Closed Thread