It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Pain underneath rib area. Maybe pancreatitis?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Ivoryz00
(male)

Ivoryz00 HB User
Pain underneath rib area. Maybe pancreatitis?

Hello. I've been having dull pains underneath my ribs. Lately, I've been feeling it especially underneath my left rib cage. I also feel the dull pain in my back. The pain isn't unbearable, just annoying. The pain is random, never after a meal or certain movement.

I've been having digestive issues for almost 2 years now, for a while my GI doctor didn't know what it was. I lost 40 lbs., nausea, and poor appetite. I was finally diagnosed with gastritis. Every once in a while my doctor would point out that my amylase levels were up too, but not enough to be alarmed about. My lipase levels were never elevated. I'm worried if it's either my pancreas, spleen, or gallbladder (even though the gallbladder is located on the right side). Is it pancreatitis? Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Pain underneath rib area. Maybe pancreatitis?

Is your GI doctor treating you for anything?

If you have gastritis -- are you taking an any meds to reduce your stomach acids-- like a Proton Pump Inhibitor?

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-05-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-30-2007, 05:05 AM   #3
_Paul
(male)

_Paul HB User

Hi,

I have high blood pressure and IBS. Recently i have had exactly the same problems as described in this thread. I have discomfort under my rib area and around the middle upper of my stomach. I have been to see the doc, and she diagnosed gastro problems. She tells me that IBS and acid in the stomach go hand in hand. I have been prescribed Lansoprazole 30mg to reduce the acid in my stomach. However, i have been taking these meds for just over a week and it has made no difference. I have to return to the doc in 1 month, so perhaps it means the medicine takes time to work. I thought i would have noticed some affect by now.

Anyway, I am sorry i haven't helped. Just thought i would post as i can relate to what you are feeling.

Kind regards
Paul

Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #4
Ivoryz00
(male)

Ivoryz00 HB User

Thanks for the response.

Hi Harry. Currently, I'm not taking any med's to reduce the acid in my stomach. I've tried just about every perscription drug there is, even Protonix, and none of them worked. But thanks for the suggestion.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Ivory,

Pancreas pain problems are usually in the middle of the abdomen between the naval and vertex of the ribs--- not under the ribs. It sorta sounds like a gallbladder pain??

Gastritis is usually treated with a PPI as you know but I have found that they don't work too well with me.

I have used an OTC remedy that works well for gastitis. A Medical Doctor that uses alternative medicine first prescribed Mastica twice daily along with a probiotic supplement and this combination cured the gastritis I had in 2 weeks.

It just so happened that I had an endoscope test scheduled at that time by a GI Doctor that verified the cure. The GI Doctor had me taking Aciphex and Prilosec about 5 months earlier that did not help.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 04-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
Angie10
(female)

Angie10 HB User

Ivoryz00:

Everything you described is exactly what I have been going through for the past two months. At one point I was hospitalized because the pain under the ribs on the left side was so bad. My second night there I ended up having a gallbladder attack (though it was diagnosed as esophagus spasm). My amylase has also been elevated while the lipase levels were normal.

I am having my gallbladder removed tomorrow due to biliary dyskenisia (the bile duct does not function). I went in for an ultrasound and chest x-rays to see if the left side pain might be my spleen or lungs. Everything was normal. If the pain on the left side goes away with the pain in the middle and the right I will let you know. Until then - I hope you feel better soon!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:04 AM   #7
Ivoryz00
(male)

Ivoryz00 HB User

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Harry, I'm just curious what 'OTC remedy' were you given?

Angie10, I hope you have a successful surgery! Please let me know how you are doing afterwards. I myself was once considered to have my gallbladder removed. I was a little nervous to have it done.

Last edited by Ivoryz00; 05-01-2007 at 07:08 AM.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Ivory,
The OCT remedy was --- Mastica-- a resin gum also known as Mastic Gum from a tree that has been used for hundreds of years for GI problems in Greece. You can do a search about it.

Harry

Old 05-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
scottcj
(female)

scottcj HB User

Angie10
Hope your surgery went well and you are recovering quickly.
Can you tell at all yet if the left side pain is gone after the GB surgery?
Curious to know since I have pain behind both ribs especially the left side
towards the sternum.
Thanks so much and be well

Old 06-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #10
Sisty
(female)

Sisty HB User

If you get answers I would love to know too. I have left and right sided pain below my ribs and sometimes upper mid stomach. Sometimes radiates to the back. Lots of tests and no answers.
Thanks
Sisty

Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #11
denise7172
(female)

denise7172 HB User
30% ejection fraction, nausea, do i really need to have gb removed,PLEASE HELP!

Hello, I am new here so I'm not sure if I'm even doing this right? Anyway, for the past 8 months I have had constant nausea, no vomiting, but only because I take phernergan on a daily basis. I have urq pain and tightness. I also have a constant dull ache under my ribs, right breast. The ultrasound was negative for stones but hida scan showed it was slightly abnormal at 30%. My question is this, will I benefit from having my gb removed or will it just get worse? From everything I read on here, people seem to have an awful time with the nausea afterwards, my surgery is scheduled for next week, but I am terrified that the nausea will only get worse for me and I won't be able to eat the things that I want. The surgery is supposed to be a remedy not make things worse for me. Any advice or feedback will be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Re: 30% ejection fraction, nausea, do i really need to have gb removed,PLEASE HELP!

denise,

People usually write a message on these boards when they are having problems. We never hear from all of the people that have surgery and have little or no problems. About 5% of people that have problems with their liver producing too much bile and with no GB for the bile it results in bile salt diarrhea. It is usually treated with a medication that absorbs bile before reaching the colon.

Your symptoms sound like gallbladder problems and they will probably get worse. We all are different and it is difficult to tell what anyone's reaction to GB remove will be??
Both my wife and I have had our gallbladders removed with no problems.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 03-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
hessie28
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Hi, sounds like what I have been going through the past 6 months. Finally I am feeling better. The only thing helping is the meds. The dr. gave me Chlordiazepoxie/Clidinium and Ranidine (sp?). It is the only thing that has helped. I also take Oxycodone for my back pain. Without that mix forget it. My gallbladder was removed in 1992. The Dr. said I was not only having acid reflux but bile reflux. I thought my pancreas or liver. All the symptons can be under any illness. Everything checks out. The meds help.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #14
denise7172
(female)

denise7172 HB User
Re: 30% ejection fraction, nausea, do i really need to have gb removed,PLEASE HELP!

Thanks Harry for your response. It does help when you hear some good news, still a bit nervous but I think I will be okay when the surgery is over. I just hope that I get back to normal soon as I am a single parent of two girls. Thanks again!
Denise

Old 03-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
robinipp
(female)

robinipp HB User

Same problem and all test are negative. Diagnosed with non ulcer dyspepsia. Not satisfied with diagnosis considering how I feel. Looking into a possibility that the medication Cymbalta could be causing problems. Any chance you take this medication?

Closed Thread