It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Do not want Demerol for Upper GI Sedation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
    jamesrwright3
    (male)

jamesrwright3 HB User
    Do not want Demerol for Upper GI Sedation

I am getting scared about an upper gi. I am more scared about the sedation aspect than having the tube shoved down my throat. Can I refuse sedation? I am ok with local anestetic. I am prone to panic attacks, and have heard demerol can have negative side effects, including death, up to 14 days after a procedure. Not a good thing for someone with panic attacks. I have read where there is no pain with this procedure, just discomfort..

Can I refuse sedation?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
    marky1956
    (male)

marky1956 HB User
    Re: Do not want Demerol for Upper GI Sedation

I just had an the upper endoscopy procedure today, and it went great. But I WOULD NOT refuse the sedation. They spray your throat with a numbing agent (I asked for a 2X dose), and then they gave me the demerol. Within 2 minutes I was out, the next thing I knew I woke up in the recovery room. I had no idea what went on or anything about the procedure. Without it, you'de be gagging and choking, and talk about panic attack - I think it would be the worst decision you could make. Take the sedation and sleep thru the procedure. It was great - and I even hate this test.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
    jamesrwright3
    (male)

jamesrwright3 HB User

I am going to talk to the nurse tomorrow. I had a relative that had serious complications from anastesia..I have panic attacks..I think I would be better off suffering than worrying all day and all night about possible side effects to the anastesia...

Old 05-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
    shalynn
    (female)

shalynn HB User

James,

I hope you can make the best decision for yourself. I am sort of in the same boat as you. I have to have my Gall bladder out, and I am afraid of the anesthesia. I think we always hear all of the horror stories, but most of the time everything goes OK.

I had a phobia of medication for a long time. Due to some allergic reactions I've had. I've really had to work through it, and I have. I started out having to take some meds due to a neurological condition I had. I overcame another big hurdle the last two times I was in the ER. I was given Phenegren, Zofran, Morphine, and three other meds (at that point I didn't care). Monday night I was give Demerol, Bentyl, and zofran. I did great with those meds too.

I have to admit, I didn't like the weird feelings it gave me at first...you know the real drugged out feeling. But, within a few minutes I was used to it, and I was glad that I was finally comfortable.

One thing you might do is to tell them your concerns. Maybe they could start out giving you a small dose to see how well you tolerate it, then increase the dose. That's what the Doctor did during my first ER visit. They said I really should have some pain medicine, and I said I was sort of afraid to, so they said they would start out just giving me a really small dose, then add more later. That's what they did, and I had no problems. I appreciated the fact that they respected my fears, and really tried to help me through them.

Sorry about the novel, but I do understand.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
    scottcj
    (female)

scottcj HB User

I had both scopes on 5-1. I was so scared and was scared of the Demerol since the last time I had it was 13 years ago when I was in labor with my daughter. It made me feel like I was dying. I told the doctor when we went into the procedure room for the scope and he gave me Dilantin, I think. Also 2 mg. of Versed. I did fine with that. Just a suggestion to talk to the doctor about your fears and he may substitute something for the Demerol.

I understand your fears because I also just had my gallbladder removed on the 21st. Demerol was in my pain pump and I didn't use any of it and suffered through pain until I asked for something else.

Good Luck

Old 05-31-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
    diamond79
    Veteran
    (female)

diamond79 HB User

I had my throat sprayed with the numbing spray and was given Demerol and Valium. I was only given enough to make me woozy but I was still awake through the whole thing and remember everything. It wasn't a bad experience at all, it just feels like that nervous butterfly feeling in your stomach when they move the scope around...I found the worse part was after the scope when your throat is still numb. I just happened to choke on my own saliva and had to spit into a kleenex.

Closed Thread