It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Chronic Gastritis - Need advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
    davidll1974
    (male)

davidll1974 HB User
    Angry Chronic Gastritis - Need advice

Hi,

Got result from endoscopy, i have chronic gastritis, no Hp diseasea.

Now on prescription on Losec PPI and Atacid.
    However, I have been under this medication for 1 week already, didn't feel any relief at all, still feel the fulliness and dullness at upper abdominal area, can only eat 70% full.
    Not particular painful, but just very irritating.

I went to see my doctor again, he said PPI is the only way(probably the strongest way) to treat gastritis, since i am not infected by Hb, no antibiotic is used.....

Is there any other advice out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
    diamond79
    Veteran
    (female)

diamond79 HB User
    Re: Chronic Gastritis - Need advice

I have chronic gastritis as well and I find that eating bland foods, small meals more frequently and foods that are easy to digest works well. Try to avoid anything irritating to the stomach and hard to digest (that will sit in the stomach and cause irritation) like tomatoes and tomato sauce, chocolate, fatty foods (hamburgers I found to be the worst), caffeine and spicy foods. I can name a list of foods that cause me problems but I would be here forever! It would be easier to list what I can tolerate rather than what I avoid. Unfortunately my stomach is VERY sensitive to certain foods and as soon as the food reaches it, it causes pain, nausea and fullness.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
    davidll1974
    (male)

davidll1974 HB User

Yes, thats exactly what i am doing...always remind myself to keep 70% full max...
    problem is how long would it take to completely cure?

Are you taking any med?

Old 06-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
    diamond79
    Veteran
    (female)

diamond79 HB User

I am not sure how long it takes to cure, but I have had it for over 2 years. I am guessing "chronic" in my case is forever? I hope not! I have taken almost every PPI there is. I find that the only one that causes the least side effects is Pariet (Aciphex). I have been on PPI's for over 2 years. They do help with the acid reflux and nausea to a certain degree. I have days where nothing helps besides laying in bed and feeling sorry for myself! LOL! My doctor once told me that my chronic gastritis may be due to bile reflux (bile backing up into the stomach) causing irritation, but never looked into it further. I am beginning to wonder if this may be the cause?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
    JohnM22
    Inactive
    (male)

JohnM22 HB User

Hi, Davidll1974:

I had severe gastritis, proctitis, cryptitis, and other -itises. It took over two weeks, but I totally cured myself (no recurrence in almost 2 decades) by fasting a total of 11 days followed by a special diet and some supplements.

Fasting is not for everyone, but would be good for everyone to do on occasion--it is that part of the 'Paleolithic Prescription' that was left out--the 'famine' part of feast<-->famine natural cycles.

Good luck to You,
    John

Old 06-26-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
    caroleye
    Veteran
    (female)

caroleye HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamond79 View Post
    I have chronic gastritis as well and I find that eating bland foods, small meals more frequently and foods that are easy to digest works well. Try to avoid anything irritating to the stomach and hard to digest (that will sit in the stomach and cause irritation) like tomatoes and tomato sauce, chocolate, fatty foods (hamburgers I found to be the worst), caffeine and spicy foods. I can name a list of foods that cause me problems but I would be here forever! It would be easier to list what I can tolerate rather than what I avoid. Unfortunately my stomach is VERY sensitive to certain foods and as soon as the food reaches it, it causes pain, nausea and fullness.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
    caroleye
    Veteran
    (female)

caroleye HB User

I've been dealing with it off 'n on for several years, but now that I'm in my
    60's, it worsened. After my lst hospitalization 6 months ago, and put on Protonix, which helped the incredible pain, the side affects made me go off after 2 months.

I had lost 25 lbs due to not being able to eat hardly anything, but gradually am testing a food at a time to create a diet that will work for me. I started out on just rice.

I found a homeopathic remedy at the health food store by Boiron called Acidil, and that helps alot. My only symptom now, if I eat my safe foods, is when I first wake up, and my stomach is just "off"; not painful. Once I get up & take an Acidil, it's gone within a half hour.

I'm also taking two herbs known to help: Slippery Elm & Licorice Rt. I make them into teas; also take acidolphilus, and try to keep my stress level down.

Just wondering if it'll ever heal again. But thankful I rarely have a bad reaction.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
    davidll1974
    (male)

davidll1974 HB User

Thanks for all the reply.
    I am feeling a little bit better these 2 days.
    I told some meal, and eat some snack in between...
    The only problem that i have now is feeling the dullness just below the left "breath bone"(the typical stomach area) from time to time....and when i feel full, the dullness will affect the upper mid and sometime the upper right section just below the right side...
    It is not very painful, but very irritating...i am still on losec, but i don really like to take it cos it makes me a little bit dizzy and i know these kind of med tends to mess up my whole digestive system to some degree...

Old 06-27-2007, 04:30 AM   #9
    diamond79
    Veteran
    (female)

diamond79 HB User

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better.
    I also get that feeling below the left rib. It feels like someone punched me there or there is a brick in my stomach...annoying. I find that as soon as I start to feel full, I have to quit eating or that "brick" feeling will last almost all day/night. That is why I can only eat small meals throughout the day instead of the normal 3 large meals. And yes, unfortunately alot of the PPI's list dizziness as a side effect. That is why I stick to Pariet. The dizziness only lasted a couple weeks and then went away.

Closed Thread