It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• really high ejection fraction on hida scan

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
    lourash
    Inactive
    (female)

lourash HB User
    really high ejection fraction on hida scan

Anyone know what it means to have 96% ejection fraction on hida scan?? mine was only 20% , and everyone I have known says theirs was only 40% or less. My hubbys is 96% even though it took 1 and 1/2 hours to finally move into the small intestine I think it is called the deudum sorry for the spelling. I guess maybe its good to have a really high ejection instead of a low one , but is that too high?? Do they do anything if you have a really slow move from the gallbladder into the intestine or is that ok?? I'm not sure what to do next although the bentyl is helping him some.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
    yzdancer
    (female)

yzdancer HB User
    Re: really high ejection fraction on hida scan

I had a 91% ejection fraction on the HIDA scan, and have been trying ever since to find out what that means. If normal is 35%-75%, then this would seem to indicate that the rate is too FAST, and that can't be good either. I have the same kind of symptoms (pain URQ and around to under my shoulder blade, as well as nausea).
    Four years ago my endo said my gallbladder needed to come out; surgeons said no stones, no surgery. Finally, after an ER visit when pain was so severe and constant I was convinced I was having a heart attack, and ER diagnosed Gallbladder Colic, I finally was given the HIDA scan. I have Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism, and have read there may be a connection, as Hashimoto's is an auto immune disease, where the immune system gets confused, and begins to attack different parts and systems in your body as if they were a foreign object , bacteria, infection or disease. I had a Gastric emtying test, which showed my food takes 1 ½ hours longer to empty than it should.

I keep getting the answer that nothing is wrong, but the pain comes from somewhere, and is getting worse. They make me feel like they think I am a hypocondriac, and my frustration level is extremely high.

I don't understand why NO ONE can explain a high ejection fraction.

Last edited by yzdancer; 03-03-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-04-2008, 04:59 AM   #3
    LAwoman75
    (female)

LAwoman75 HB User

Same thing here, mine was 95%. From what I've found by looking up high ejection fractions, some doctors think it's bad, some think it's normal. It's also referred as hyperactive g/b or hypertonic g/b. I read that it ejects so fast, that the bile can start back up in your system as it goes through the digestive tract and that a high ef rate is often missed by the medical community.

My symptoms have pretty much vanished for now. I know they can come and go though so I'm not getting my hopes up. My GI dr. is ready to send me to the surgeon to have it removed but I'm not agreeing to that for that. Until my symptoms return, I'm not doing anything.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
    mizzaj
    (female)

mizzaj HB User

Hey LAWoman75,

That's great that your symptoms have disappeared! I know you were in a lot of pain for a while there. I know what you mean about not wanting to get too excited about it in case the symptoms come back. But for your sake, I will cross my fingers that they don't! I'm still dealing with symptoms, unfortunately. Sometimes they're not always the same, and I don't know if they're even gb related. Even my new internist isn't convinced, so she may have me repeat the HIDA. Don't know if that will prove anything, but I certainly don't want surgery unless they can show a need for it and are a little more confident about it than they seem to be!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
    MsBrown12
    (female)

MsBrown12 HB User

I have to get in on this too. For the last 3 months I have suffered constant Right Upper quadrant pain, and under the ribcage pain. Nausea but no abdominal pain to speak of. Had an US, no gallstones, had a HIDA scan and mine also came back at 96%! I have hunted for answers for such a high fraction and cannot find anything! My doctor has referred me to a surgeon, but I need to know what this means! My pain is also getting worse and all the research I'm doing is getting me no where...Let me know what you guys find out...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yzdancer View Post
    I had a 91% ejection fraction on the HIDA scan, and have been trying ever since to find out what that means. If normal is 35%-75%, then this would seem to indicate that the rate is too FAST, and that can't be good either. I have the same kind of symptoms (pain URQ and around to under my shoulder blade, as well as nausea).
    Four years ago my endo said my gallbladder needed to come out; surgeons said no stones, no surgery. Finally, after an ER visit when pain was so severe and constant I was convinced I was having a heart attack, and ER diagnosed Gallbladder Colic, I finally was given the HIDA scan. I have Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism, and have read there may be a connection, as Hashimoto's is an auto immune disease, where the immune system gets confused, and begins to attack different parts and systems in your body as if they were a foreign object , bacteria, infection or disease. I had a Gastric emtying test, which showed my food takes 1 ½ hours longer to empty than it should.

I keep getting the answer that nothing is wrong, but the pain comes from somewhere, and is getting worse. They make me feel like they think I am a hypocondriac, and my frustration level is extremely high.

I don't understand why NO ONE can explain a high ejection fraction.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #6
    LAwoman75
    (female)

LAwoman75 HB User

Ms Brown, same here. I suffered with the right side under rib pain and nausea. The only other symptom I had was constant burping and sometimes very full stomach feeling. I had a normal u/s, 95% hida. The dr. is wanting to send me to the surgeon but calls the hida normal. So why is he sending me to the surgeon? Did your dr. give you a reason?

My symptoms have went away for the past couple of weeks, so I'm not letting him do anything for now.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
    MsBrown12
    (female)

MsBrown12 HB User

Well,she can't explain the high fraction number either but says it's "normal"! She wants me to now go see an upper GI doctor, which frankly I feel is a waste...but I realize some of this can tie into upper GI..did you say you had that done too? Don't you now feel like some strange thing is just happening to you..well and to me too now. I'm glad I found you, just so we can cross compare. Do you feel good about your doctors and how they are treating you? I think I'm a little miffed at the fact that I feel it's more urgent than they think it is..but Doctor assured me today that I'm not going to die from this...well yeah I say..go out and eat your mexican food for lunch darling doctor, cause I can't or I'll puke and end up at the ER with my Upper quadrant pain. Tell me everything..and you say you are felling better? But, have you eaten yet..thats my question...write soon!
    Misty

Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
    LAwoman75
    (female)

LAwoman75 HB User

My GI's next step is the ERCP. He said if that's normal, he's sending me to the surgeon. I just don't get it. Right now, my symptoms are gone. I know that it's normal for this stuff to come and go, but while I'm feeling good, I'm not agreeing to surgery yet. I don't understand why he wants to scope me. He said it's to rule out ulcers, but I don't have ulcer symptoms. I don't have any burning in the stomach area and never get heartburn type problems. My RUQ pain started in early December as a squeezing type discomfort and then grew worse over weeks, sometimes radiated around the side to the back too. The pain then became more sharp and stabbing like and that's when it stopped.

My next dr. appt is 3/26

Old 03-08-2008, 05:30 AM   #9
    MsBrown12
    (female)

MsBrown12 HB User

I know exactly what you mean! I called my doctor and said, look I have no upper GI problems,never have. I don't have reflux, its not stomach related, you know that whole story...I can serioulsy put my finger on the right side and where it hurts is right where my gallbladder is sitting. To top that off, the pain under my right shoulder blade is a knawing burning pain, that radiates back down over my gallbladder, now tell me that's not related to gallbladder and is to Upper GI problems. Doc says she does not want to take the gallbladder out unless she is sure thats what it is..yeah ok I understand, I told her I'll kiss a fat mans [email protected]# if that's not what it is. She told me to stop diagnosing...I told her I would never stop, and thanks to the internet many people no doubt have saved themselves from the hands of quacks! I am glad your pain has stopped, and really if it were me, I wouldn't do any futher procedures. Really and truly, when that gallbladder comes out you may have just as many problems, but then again your life may be back on track again! That's what I'm hoping for.....I want to know how everything goes on your next appointment and what they find...

Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #10
    April7
    Inactive
    (female)

April7 HB User

I've read many times that a very high ejection fraction is also bad, and can be the reason for pain.

Closed Thread