It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Anyone have bad experience with Versed or other anesthesia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
    hopetofeelwell1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
    Anyone have bad experience with Versed or other anesthesia?

Hi all! I'm about to have gb surgery on the 20th of August. The last time I had a procedure for an endoscopy/colonoscopy, I woke up on the table and became combative. Nice, huh?! Although I'm seeing the anesthesiologist on the 13th, I wanted to find out if anyone had a bad experience with Versed or any other anesthesia in general. Thanks so much--Hopeto-- PS--I've had no problems with Pentothal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
    marnb77
    (female)

marnb77 HB User
    Re: Anyone have bad experience with Versed or other anesthesia?

Hi hopeto-
    I am extremely sensitive to anestithia, I actually feared that part the most out of my surgery and it ended up being the BEST PART of the whole operation. Before they wheeled me into the or, i met w/ my anesthiologist and asked him for a little something to calm my nerves. He gave me versed which i swear was the greatest thing ever! It calmed me completely, to the point where i could have cared less what they were doing to me.. lol... the next thing i knew, i was in the or, too out of it to care, and then i was waking up. I would definitely ask for something to ease your nerves. Oh and i also asked my anesthiologist for some anti nausea drugs as well, since my stomach is pretty sensitive. Good luck! You will do great!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
    B143C
    Veteran
    (female)

B143C HB User

My mom underwent a cold knife operation for cervical cancer two year back. She can hardly handle anything. But they give her some medicine to take her nerves away. She did great. They did put her to sleep - and she woke up doing great . . . and acting quite funny! =) The next day she was up and at em. My mother in law also had her gallbladder removed and is highly sensitive to anesthia. She did beautifully.

I'm sure it will all go well. Just remember this kind of things happens everyday! God is good! It will all go fantastic.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User

I had an endoscopy a few years back and I had the versed anesthesia.
    I was told later on by my husband that they couldn't wake me up and had to give me another shot of something to get me to wake up.
    That was very scary. Is that normal?
    I am going soon to a new gastroenterologist to have another endoscopy and I'm scared that this will happen again.
    Also I have mild seizures and my seizures came back for a while after I had the anesthesia and before I hadn't had one in at least 2 years.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:41 PM   #5
    sam78
    Veteran
    (female)

sam78 HB User

hope, for your gb surgery they will use very different medications than they used during your scope. Just tell them you had that reaction and they will be sure to use something else, but they dont typically use versed for GB surgery unless you need something to calm you before hand, but they can use valium instead. No fears, you'll be fine

Old 08-10-2007, 04:38 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Versed:

For me useless. They always gas about La-La land and I remain wide awake, talking and inquisitive about the procedure (colonoscopy and the like.) Then they tell me to sit down for an hour before I go home and I immediately get dressed and go home.

THe fact that Versed is like an M&M to me just doesn't seem to register on them. I guess they read the bottle and THAT is the last word for them.

If any real PAIN is involved, my taking Versed would be the LAST thing I'd do.

Even funnier is "you won't remember the pain"...they lassoed and pulled a small tag off my colon and I yelped. Yes, I remember it very well.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
    hopetofeelwell1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Well, hello, Lenin!!! We must have been related in a past life because when I had the endoscopy last year, they gave me the Versed with Benadryl--a very small amount of Versed. When they saw that that small amount was fine, the doctor said "Increase it". I said "No" and by the time I said it it was increased. At that point, I nearly jumped off the table from the pain because you could feel every nerve ending in my colon. I told these jerks ahead of time. Did I stutter when I said don't give this to me or don't bother increasing it? Whenever I have had an anesthesiologist administer anything, I have never had a problem. When it has been just a gp or gastro guy, they might as well hang it up because they don't LISTEN!!! Anesthesiologists are more important than the surgeons, I feel, because they have your entire body and nervous system in their care. Every anesthesiologist I have ever had has listened to me, took an entire history, and thank God, have never had a problem. As a matter of fact, I had the same doc for the sinus operation that I had in 2000 that I had when I delivered my son 13 years before. No problem. I am so glad that you posted here tonight because sometimes I ask "Is it Me?" God bless & take care--Hopeto--

Old 08-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
    hopetofeelwell1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Marn! I am so glad that you didn't have a bad reaction to the Versed. Most of my family has had colonoscopies and didn't have a problem. I, on the other had, have always been the "odd ball" with severe allergies but I don't think my liver processes certain meds very well so I steer clear. Thanks so much--For BC143--Thank you so much for the words of encouragement and I am so glad that your mum-in-law was okay. I've had good luck with anesthesiologists delivering meds as opposed to nurses and gps(no offense to them--just leave the surgery meds to the pros!) For Hamilton--No, it is not a common occurence for them to have to give you something to wake you up--at least I don't think it is. I'm no doctor by any means, but if they know that you have a seizure disorder of some sort, shouldn't they treat that issue delicately and perhaps adjust your seizure meds in accordance with your neurologist or have a neurologist on hand in the operating room? Just my two cents, but seizure disorders run in my mother-in-law's family and if it were one of my relatives I'd be on them like ugly on an ape to get it right. For Sam I Am--Thank you also for the comforting words because I really am so scared. When I saw the surgeon about 10 days ago, I think he was under the impression that they used Versed for the surgery. When I told him absolutely not for me, he said to be sure to tell the anesthesiologist about my situation. So, I will REALLY stress this to him. Thank you all for making me feel so much better & God bless--Hopeto--

Old 08-11-2007, 12:46 AM   #9
    Sinopa2
    (female)

Sinopa2 HB User

Hi Hopetofeelwell!

I had the exact same experience as you - well, about fighting the tubes on versed. They said they couldn't get me to sleep, and they juiced me up enough for a 250 lb man, but I was still fighting them... so they stopped the procedure and sent me back to try again, only this time in OR (with general - THAT works )

I'm guessing there's a good chance you had a paradoxical reaction. It's not real common, but it happens - especially to benzodiazepines. Sometimes (I think) it's just a random, isolated event, but it could also be that your body just can't do benzos. Have you ever tried Valium or Ativan or anything - did it work? Did it make you jumpy?

That's how it is with me! Just a warning - with me, one or two valium does nothing. Four valium, and my heart rate goes waaay up and I feel AWFUL - I found this out midway through getting my wisdom teeth extracted :P I told the oral surgeon that I couldn't do benzodiazepines, and I don't think he'd ever heard of this before (which is weird, he's a really old, experienced OS). So, he didn't give me the IV meds but he still had me take valium - and then, when they did nothing, he had me take more... So I only got three teeth pulled that time. The surgeon was really freaked out, and he kept calling up for a few days to make sure I was okay!

I'd love to hear if you're like this too!

For your surgery on the 20th - if you let them know, they should be able to work around it. I'm guessing for this one you'll be in the OR, right? So you should be fine - they have lots of other drugs on hand there, and they'll just give you a little red bracelet that says "DO NOT GIVE PATIENT VERSED." I was in this morning for an endoscopy, and that's what's they did for me. For procedures not in the OR (like endoscopies or colonoscopies) you'll probably have to work around them ahead of time - set them up for the OR under more serious drugs instead of just the GI floor. That's what I do, anyway.

Good luck on your surgery! I hope it goes well, and it helps you feel better!

Last edited by Sinopa2; 08-11-2007 at 12:54 AM.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
    hopetofeelwell1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Sinopa!! I was on Klonopin( another benzo) with two other psych meds for 7 years so I'm sure the brain receptors recognize this, but I have to say in 1991 I had a colonoscopy and they used Versed then and I still had that same paradoxical reaction. I guess when a benzo is combined with something the reaction is different than when used alone. Isn't it crummy when you don't fear the surgery itself, it's the getting there that's the stinker? I'm sure I'll have a good anesthesia team, but when you're allergic to a lot of things, too and you're 50 years old, you don't heal the same way like when you're 30. Many thanks for not making me feel alone. I have come see that there are many here who have had similar experiences and it's nice that we've met on this God-given board! God bless & take care--Hopeto--

Closed Thread