It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• experience with reglan ??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
    lourash
    Inactive
    (female)

lourash HB User
    experience with reglan ??

I was hoping someone knows what reglan is used for. The doc gave it to my husband last week and said try this and see if maybe it will help , and ordered a barium swallow test. He didn't tell us what conditions it treats and the pharmacy did not give us the usual printout about side effects and drug interactions. I thought I read a couple of other posts in which people said the side effects were bad and they couldn't take it. So far its not helped much only after one meal did he see a little improvement. Anyone else take it and if so for what and did it help???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 06:35 AM   #2
    miknan
    (male)

miknan HB User
    Re: experience with reglan ??

My guess is your husband is suffering from reflux? Reglan helps the stomach contract and empty faster. If your husband has a lot bile and other stuff sitting in his stomach it can relux up the esophagus. It can also help with nausea. You should easily be able to look up all kinds of info on this drug but some of the more serious side effects people can have is a nervous twichting and depression that can start suicidal thoughts. I took it for at least three months with great results until I had my gallbladder out. It turned out I had other problems besides my gb and then after awhile I did start to have some of Reglan's sides effects so I went off it. My advice is to try and just watch your husband for any adverse effects. Just stop taking it if you notice any. Reglan really did help me for awhile but I don't believe it can or should be taken long term. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
    lourash
    Inactive
    (female)

lourash HB User

Well yes he does have reflux and regurg , but they also think something else is wrong. His hida scan showed the gallbladder took a long time to empty and he can't get in to a gastro for 3 weeks.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
    miknan
    (male)

miknan HB User

Ask to have a gastric emptying study if possible. Took out my gallbladder because of low function and turns out I have gastroparesis. I am way, way, way worse than before the surgery. Wish I had my gb back.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
    lourash
    Inactive
    (female)

lourash HB User

How long before the reglan started to help?? I didn't know if it kicks in right away or if it takes a while to start helping??? Thanks for the suggestion of the gastric emptying scan , I will bring it up to our doc.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
    B143C
    Veteran
    (female)

B143C HB User

My pharmacist said two weeks. Also watch him for changes in mood or habits. The warning label on the bottle says it can cause this. I wouldn't be alarmed though - most people are helped more than suffer the side effects.

Reglan makes sure everything is moving downward in all digestive areas - which will help the reflux and anything else that is slow or backing up.

PS Sweet, sweet, Lou . . . You are a my favorite worry wart and such a devoted kind wife. You deserve some down time. Try not to worry so much Lou. God will work all this out!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
    DunkinNut
    (female)

DunkinNut HB User

(New here...jumping in!)

I can NOT take Reglan - and even include it in my "allergies" list at dr.'s offices.

It causes me (and my dh) to feel sooooo anxious. I can not even describe how awful it was when I took it. I hope your dh doesn't have that experience. I always tell dr's NO WAY if they try to prescribe it. The medical term for it, btw, is metoclopramide.

good luck.

Closed Thread