It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• For those with gastroparesis (two questions)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
    DunkinNut
    (female)

DunkinNut HB User
    For those with gastroparesis (two questions)

My doctor has been toying with this diagnosis for some time. My gastric emptying study came back borderline. I am VERY frustrated that she dismissed HOW BLOATED and NAUSEUS and FULL and MISERABLE I am becuase I show no weight loss. I don't know WHY I'm not losing weight. I have no idea. So my question is - do any of you have GP without vomiting? Also...do you have GP and fail to lose weight due to having it?

Right now...I feel sooooooo sick it's not even funny. This "bout" with GP has been going on for days now. I had a muffin (zero fiber) this morning at 8....at 2 this afternoon I was still soooo full and bloated I could not stand it. Some nausea but no vomiting. I was getting low blood sugar so I opted for a Smoothie King smoothie...drank a tad more than half of a small. BLOAT, misery. What did I expect?

By dinner I wanted to eat - and finally a tad hungry. I had a ham/cheese roll up and a small salad. Yes, stupid. I AM MISERABLE.

The only meds she has me on currently is Elavil. 10 mg. She said small doses of it "relax" the stomach. Hmmmm. I'm skeptical. I've been on that since May - but stopped taking it about a month ago as I had been problem free (mostly). I was on Nexium 40 mg. 2 x day....but my acid problems got better and I quit those too. Do any of your dr.'s have you on Nexium for GP? I wouldn't think so. I can NOT take Reglan (VERY panicky on that).

HELP.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 03:43 AM   #2
    eihcet
    (male)

eihcet HB User
    Re: For those with gastroparesis (two questions)

Elavil is an antidepressant, so perhaps Anxiety / stress is believed as a cause (by the doc). I have a similar borderline emptying issue, solids mostly, liquids are supposedly ok. PPI's can slow motility so I avoid those. I've been using DGL Licorice before meals to calm my stomach and it works ok... but doesn't bring back my appetite, jus tkeeps things settled when I'm doing ok.

For meals, I'm finding that I have to follow a gallbladder diet. Eating low fat and HEALTHY fats (like EVOO) is important. Beets seem to keep the bile moving. Eggs & Mayonaise seem to irritate my system. A daily serving of Yogurt has also been helpful. Getting past the bad days is tough though, I do OK w/ a Plain Baked Potato and/or Rice + Chicken + Broccoli and EVOO. Interestingly, for me Quaker Granola bars seem to be OK. That and Lots of water and steady / upright movement. Or sometimes a drive helps (road vibration seems to keep things moving).

What works for me, might not work for you, but if you keep a food journal and start an elimination diet you may find what triggers events for you. If you are already on low-fat,you can eliminate other possibilities. Look into Gallbladder Diet, Celiacs Disease, Chron's Disease, Candida diet, etc. Even if they are not the root cause, you can try one set of recommended foods for a few weeks and see if anything changes. If not, try another (if you research you may be able to get to a base food group that covers a few options, very limited food items though). The whole thing takes a while but so does getting the docs to resolve things, and you can do this yourself.

Domperidone(trade name Motilium or Motillium) is another drug option but has to be obtained outside of the USA. ( removed )

Last edited by moderator2; 09-18-2008 at 05:11 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 09-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
    Elisa123
    (female)

Elisa123 HB User

Hi there,

I too have gastroparesis, for 5 years now. I am sick naseous and bloated everyday of my life so i understand how you feel. I don't loose any weight either. And i am currently on protonix for reflux. This disease is horrible. I can't tell you how awful i feel everyday of my life. I usually only have a small protein shake for lunch...and i tried eating a bowl of chowder soup for dinner tonight and boy am i paying for it, i feel so damn sick i can't stand it. i take reglan 2 times a day but i dont know if that really helps all that much. I am so sorry you are suffering as well. I know about how you feel when you eat a muffin in the moring and at 4 pm its still in your stomach...i had that problem when i would eat cereal in the morning, it would just sit there in my stomach until 5 in the afternoon. It was absolutley horrible. Now i dont eat anything until about 12 oclock and i just have a small shake. I am still sick even when i drink the shake. My doctor doesnt think its that serious cause im not loosing weight either, i dont know why im not loosing weight i dont eat hardly anything at all. I truely hope you feel better just know you are not alone

-Lisa

Old 09-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
    sam78
    Veteran
    (female)

sam78 HB User

Hey Dunkin, I know we have talked before, but in case things got goofed up, I too tried and couldnt take reglan and had terrible panicky, jittery, feel like you are on speed side affects. I am on domperidone now and doing very well. I am also on protonix because they say I have dyspepsia, the catch all term as I say. But the combination of the two I do quite well. Hope you are doing ok.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

have any of you been taking Reglan (or the other medication, Domperidone) for an extended period of time? I've been on it for about 2 1/2 months now and hope that my prescription will be renewed when the supply of pills runs out. What if it isn't? I don't know what I'd do. My stomach hurts sometimes even after I've taken the drug. I'd be really sick without it.
    If, as eihcet points out in his post, the PPIs slow motility, then I am in trouble. I take those too. I honestly wish I didn't have to take any drugs at all. Seems to me that for each symptom our medications relieve, two new ones develop.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
    sam78
    Veteran
    (female)

sam78 HB User

flower, I have been on domperidone for over a year and a half.

All of you feel free to come post on the gastroparesis.. please share thread. A lot of us that post on that thread have used both reglan and domperidone, in fact we have been discussing it lately. Feel free to come aboard and post on there, it is easier to post just on one thread. Not to mention you will get some advice and experience from some of us that have had gastroparesis, or even just experience with reglan and domperidone.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thank you, Sam.

I will do that. I don't want to sound desperate, but I would like to know how others cope taking the medication long-term.

FG

Old 11-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
    LeslieJ50
    (female)

LeslieJ50 HB User

I too, know that feeling of having the muffin still in my tummy at 4pm... Altho GP has become more difficult to manage in my life. At bedtime last night I tested my Blood Sugar (89) and decided I should have a little something to make sure I didn't crash b4 morning, so I had 1 teaspoon of orange sherbet and went to bed. Ten hours later I woke up and my FBS was 126 and I drank 8oz of Glucerna. I find relief from nausia with 8mg Ondancatron 2x's daily, and MMJ which also works great in a cream massaged on my abdomen ~4x's daily. Feet/legs as well because my Diabetic Neuropathy has had me useing a walker about a year now.

I have not eaten solid foods in longer than I can remember. I made a conscience decision to stop eating meat in 2003 without knowing I had GP... I just knew I wasn't digesting meat very fast. Today I'm on a liquid diet mixed with varying amounts (depending on what I can tolerate) of pureed baby foods and cerials. Sometimes a few crackers. That is it.

And I didn't ever have the vomitting issue most talk about and Drs look for. Nor did I lose weightg QUICKLY.... Mind you, over the past 5 years I have lost 30lbs but none have been in any "chunk"...

Closed Thread