It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Gastroparesis.... Please Share 4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #1
    Oglegen
    (female)

Oglegen HB User
    Gastroparesis.... Please Share 4

hi guys, thought I'd start the next thread, seeing as I've been having seriously problems recently and wanted to ask you all about how I should deal with it. I'm going to copy and paste my last post again in this box, and if any of you can help or give advice, please do:

Guys, I don't know if you can help me but I'm having a bit of a hard time at the moment, health-wise, and I can't tell if it is GP or it is something else..

I keep waking up in the night at about 5am and 6am (5am if it's going to be bad, 6am if it's going to be mild), I lose control of my bowels and have diarrohea and then throw up with a pounding headache. It feels like my whole body is poisoned and I'm totally sick to my stomach. Normally with GP, the type of nausea you feel is that of just eating too much or being over-satieted , but this sickness is like my whole body is in pain. I have to lie there, being sick and waiting it out for about 3 hours until 8am when it finally goes and just leaves me with a sore stomach. The day continues and I find I can eat normally and feel fine. These episodes always happen in the early morning hours after a day of feeling absolutely fine. If I have nausea and bloating all through the daym vaguely controlled by domperidone, I don't have these 5am or 6am attacks. I just don't understand. Does anybody have this? Or anyone know what it is?

My GP stems from a disorder with my vagus nerve which is very understimulated. I have a heart condition too because of my vagus problem and I'm wondering if this waking up in the night feeling wretched has anything to do with the vagus nerve? Anyone have *any* idea?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
    Melissa333
    (female)

Melissa333 HB User
    Re: Gastroparesis.... Please Share 4

I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems. I've never gotten up and felt like that, so I'm thinking it is not related to your gastroparesis--you may want to talk to the doctor. I don't know much about the vagus nerve! I wish I did. I had my gallbladder out in February and I wonder whether or not the doctor hurt my vagus nerve during the procedure, causing my gastroparesis--who knows!

Let me know what you find out about the early morning attacks--I truly hope that you feel better soon!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
    sam78
    Veteran
    (female)

sam78 HB User

well hello girls, thank you for starting our 4th thread. I cant believe that many many many months ago I started a thread for gastroparesis and now we are on the 4th chapter!!!

Hey Olge, you'll have to remind me, do you still have your gallbladder?? I dont think what you are experiencing is related to your vagus nerve problem. How long has it been like this (the morning illness)? It is quite common for mornings to be bad. I had some really bad mornings when I was really sick. Your symptoms sound a lot like IBS, but certainly GP can produce the same events. How much domperidone are you taking and how often?? I used to be a person that HAD to eat every morning. When after getting GP I definetly stopped that. I had horrible nausea when I got up in the morning. I would either wake up starving, or completely nauseated to the point I didnt want to eat until dinner time. Pay attention to what you are eating and see if there is relation to what you are eating or maybe the time you eat. It is really important to eat early in the evening with GP, then the food doesnt sit in your stomach all night.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
    Melissa333
    (female)

Melissa333 HB User

So here's the thing--how do you guys get enough nutrition throughout the day if you can't eat until like 11am and then you have to stop eating at like 5pm? It just seems like a short period of time to try and get enough calories and nutrients in, you know? I was just diagnosed two weeks ago and still have yet to get any medication or a plan from my doctor. I had to get an ekg (which was abnormal, scary!) before they will give me domperidone. I also don't have an appointment with my gastro until December 3.

I totally understand the morning thing. I've never felt like O, but I wake up completely nauseas or starving, but I'm too scared to eat until sometime after 10. Any suggestions on how to get all the calories and nutrients so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode? I have pounds I could lose, but I don't want to kill my metabolism. Does anyone else feel like they had gastric bypass surgery with the little amount you can eat? OYE!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
    Elisa123
    (female)

Elisa123 HB User

I have severe gastroparesis. I have been sick with this for 5 yeras now. I usually eat once a day and that is at night. Protein shakes work best for me. meat is very hard to digest and so are most carbs. I hate this disease

Old 11-22-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
    sam78
    Veteran
    (female)

sam78 HB User

Well when I was at my worst with gastroparesis I was purely drinking meal replacements. I used carnation instant breakfast with milk. The biggest thing you have to do is make a diary of foods that work for you and foods that dont. If your having a bad day then sometimes you have to just stick with the liquids. Other days you can go to the food that work for you list and eat something off of it. You really have to change your diet around and just stick with the foods that work for you. Some days you eat nothing but chicken noodle soup while other days you indulge in a little mashed potatoes. It all varies person to person. Eat foods that are easily digested. Stay away from meats and salads. Like I said make a diary and refer to eat. The biggest key to this lovely disease is learning to deal with it and knowing what your body can take and not take.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #7
    nessie01
    (female)

nessie01 HB User

can anyone tell me if gastropa causes muslce type pain on both sides of your body and back pain, also dull bruised ache under sternum,
    i dont have vomiting or a sense of fullness
    does gastrop cuase constipation (just wondering), i dont have constiapt or diareahh, thinkg that my probs may be my gallbladder, but some of the muscle pains on both sides andupper back etc dont fit.......thanks

Old 11-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #8
    Melissa333
    (female)

Melissa333 HB User

[QUOTE REMOVED]

I don't get any kind of pain like that with gastroparesis. I'm not sure what it is from, but to me, without the sense of fullness and nausea, it doesn't sound like gastroparesis. I would see your GP and get your gallbladder checked. Take care and good luck!

Last edited by moderator4; 11-24-2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Quote unnecessary.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #9
    Oglegen
    (female)

Oglegen HB User

I spoke in an earlier post about posting my own list of "dos and don'ts" for GP from what I've learned so far. I know everybody is different, but I'd be interested in seeing all of your lists to see if I can take any tips, and I'd like to know if anyone agrees with me on these:

- If you really want to drink fruit juice, have it by itself on an empty stomach and only have a little because the acid builds up very quickly. if you try to drink it with a small amount of solid food or protein shake, the fibre in it exacerbates your body's problems with digesting and makes you feel ill.

- After a really bad spell of weeks/months when your body can only take protein shakes/liquids, a sign that it's starting to get a bit better is that the early satiety and nausea after eating has a shorter time span (ie, instead of lasting for 5 hours after eating just a small amount, it goes away after 1 hour)

- Diet drinks, especially diet sodas always give your body an excuse to produce excess gas which makes you feel even more full than you would from trying to eat a gastroparesis diet anyway and so make the problem worse.

- When I break my gastroparesis eating routine by trying something new, even a small amount of anything, my GP becomes totally unmanagebale and awful for a minimum of 2 weeks.

- If you're eating/juicing fruit, AVOID fruits with fibrous bits at all costs, ie peel apples, don't eat potato skins, (satsumas and oranges are sometimes the worst for the white peel that comes with them and builds up in parts of the satsuma) because they can give you bezoars, and I always feel terrible for about 3 days after trying to eat any fibrous fruit.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #10
    Melissa333
    (female)

Melissa333 HB User
    Question Re: Gastroparesis.... Please Share 4

Hey all--let me get your opinions on this. I was diagnosed with GP about two weeks ago. Last week was a horrible week. I lost almost 6 pounds, I couldn't eat much (I'm talking two small spoonfuls of mashed potatoes) at each sitting. Today, however, I was able to eat about 250 calories through the day, and then at dinner I was able to eat about 500 calories. Is this normal for anyone else? Where you can eat a bit more than usual? Honestly, I think it has to do with my aunt flow coming soon, ya know, I'm always hungry...but actually being able to eat? It was just a homemade veggie pizza. I use a bread called Naan, it's not dough, its just a flat bread. Then I chop up veggies small so they get soft in the oven. But I was able to eat it--anyone else have days like this?

Maybe its because I had a colonoscopy on Thursday so my system was entirely cleaned out? I don't know--thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone else had this happen. I'm so new to GP that I don't know what is normal.

Thanks all

Last edited by Melissa333; 11-23-2008 at 04:13 PM.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:40 AM   #11
    Oglegen
    (female)

Oglegen HB User

Hi Melissa,

I think it depends if you continue in a pattern of having good days and bad days, or whether the pre-colonoscopy evacuation unstuffed your system to the extent that things flowed a little more freely down there.. I spent ages when I first got GP trying to recognise patterns and could only find a few (they weren't obvious ones at all). I thought maybe if I took laxatives and created room for the food to go instead of sitting around in my intestines, then I would feel better, but that's not how it works. The stomach holds on to it for ages, creates excess acid, then tiny little bits go into the small intestine, and sometimes the opening to that stays open, making the bile come back up into the stomach and making you more nauseous. I thought if I created room in my guts, the food would make use of the room... but no, my guts just continued to play up!

However, if you do feel that the laxative helped, try it again (not the stuff they gave you for colonoscopy), a milder one, and see if the next day you can eat more?

Old 11-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #12
    Melissa333
    (female)

Melissa333 HB User

[QUOTE REMOVED]

Thanks for the reply, Oglegen. I appreciate the opinion, for sure! I guess that was my exact way of thinking--that maybe I created room, but it also makes sense that that isn't how it works. I don't know--it doesn't make sense. I guess I just had a good day, you know? We'll have to see if the trend continues. I just had a stress echo because I had an abnormal ekg, but I got the all clear from the cardiologist to start domperidone. Here's hoping this helps me get back into a normal life. I don't think a normal life for a law student includes being so sick that you've considered quitting law school and you only have three terms left! It's just wrong!

Thanks again for the advice--I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Last edited by moderator4; 11-24-2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Quote is unecessary

Old 11-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
    sam78
    Veteran
    (female)

sam78 HB User

Melissa, there is a population out there (trishac is one of them), that has constipation as well and when you bowels get full, your GP will get worse as well because like you said you get full. Some people have intestine involvement. It is imperative to keep yourself regular with GP. You can through all the drugs you want at a stomach but if the food has no where to go then it is obviously going to stay there.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:59 AM   #14
    Melissa333
    (female)

Melissa333 HB User

Good to know--Sam. My doc just prescribed compazine for nausea. Have any of you ever taken that? I'm supposed to be getting domperidone, also, so I wonder if combining the two would be okay? Sam, I've read all your old posts, how are you feeling?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #15
    vguser
    (male)

vguser HB User
    Angry Re: Gastroparesis.... Please Share 4

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nessie01 View Post
    can anyone tell me if gastropa causes muslce type pain on both sides of your body and back pain, also dull bruised ache under sternum,
    i dont have vomiting or a sense of fullness
    does gastrop cuase constipation (just wondering), i dont have constiapt or diareahh, thinkg that my probs may be my gallbladder, but some of the muscle pains on both sides andupper back etc dont fit.......thanks
    ----------------------------
    Hi, this is my post here and i have been having problems for around 6 months with my stomach. Everything can be okay for a few months and then all of a sudden i can get bloated, have pain in my back and a small amount under my ribs. The last time this happened i had a masseur massage my abdomen. A was sore from this for about 2 days and then i was great. I spent the next 4 weeks on holiday eating and drinking what i liked with no problems. Not long after i got back i decided to eat healthier as i discovered my blood pressure has too high.. i also started more exercising. Then a few days ago the bloating and fatigue started.. all i want to do after work is to lie down and go to sleep... I have had a multitide of scans for my liver and kidneys as the doctors thought the pain was a kidney stone but nothing came back, i have also had some blood work done and apart from having a slightly fatty liver, and higher than average cholestoral everything is fine. It seems that a bad diet doesnt help but going healthy makes things worse!

Closed Thread