It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Getting upper endoscopy & extremely nervous about choking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
    seattle88
    (female)

seattle88 HB User
    Getting upper endoscopy & extremely nervous about choking

I am getting an upper endoscopy tomorrow and will be getting "twilight sedation" but wish they would just totally knock me out.

I have anxiety to begin with and have always had breathing issues - asthma, claustrophobia, etc. I also have issues with choking/swallowing - I can barely swallow pills, I've choked in the past and it was extremely traumatic. I have HUGE ISSUES with my mouth/throat/swallowing/breathing stuff.

At first I was extremely concerned about not being able to breathe. I know I will actually be ABLE to, but I'm afraid of FEELING like I cannot breathe.

But my biggest fear is gagging and feeling as if I am choking, and being with it enough to feel it, but too out of it to stop them...basically feeling like I am choking and being incapacitated. I know there is an amnesia affect, but I'm still afraid of knowing what's happening in THAT moment.

I am really freaking out over this. I need the procedure to do biopsies...but I am so afraid I think I may end up cancelling this. I don't want to but I have so much fear related to choking/swallowing that I don't know if I can do it.

Family members/friends have told me it's not a big deal but I wouldn't know if they were just saying that so I get it done and don't get freaked out. Can anyone give me honest advice/experiences?? I know it's different for everyone.

I'm...afraid they won't give me enough sedation. I don't want to be awake for any of it honestly, but especially not the initial swallowing part. I don't think I can do it if I don't know for sure I won't feel like choking, and I guess that's not a guarantee....

The place that's doing it doesn't do it under general anethesia- I know its a common procedure and not worth the risk of general but I'm so freaked about breathing stuff I would rather be totally under. I've heard in some cases they do it but I'm not sure if they'd do it for me just because I'm so anxious, and if so I'd probably have to wait and have it done at a hospital.

I don't know. Any advice/experiences from anyone with such breathing/choking fears as me?? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User
    Re: Getting upper endoscopy & extremely nervous about choking

Hi,

I certainly understand your anxiety about the endoscopy. I just had one recently, and I assure you...the anticipation is the worst part. I would certainly share your concerns with the staff, as they are very good at making sure you feel most comfortable about the procedure. The sedation, although it does not last long, is very effective. The doctor certainly won't allow you to choke, and the whole procedure is very quick.

You will never even know anything happened, and it's so important not to cancel. I wish you the best!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
    diamond79
    Veteran
    (female)

diamond79 HB User

I agree, the procedure is VERY quick---the longest part was waiting to have it done! I was awake for mine and had VERY light sedation. Just made me feel "drunk". And I can tell you it wasn't that bad--I would have it done again if I had to. The worst part was when they sprayed my throat with the numbing spray--tasted horrible and the nurse shoved the thing far enough down my throat that it made me gag a little. Other than that everything else was a breeze! Don't worry, you'll be fine!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
    aqua774
    (male)

aqua774 HB User

You basically will be out so no worries. I just had one not to long ago and the last thing I remember was them telling me I was going to get sleepy. Technically you are not under anesthesia, but you are pretty much out. After having it, you will be begging them to give you some of that stuff they gave you to knock you out to take home! Ha

Last edited by aqua774; 01-16-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

I guess that by now, it's all over with. We all hope it went well!

Closed Thread