It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• High ejection factor on HIDA Scan

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
    Microsludge
    (female)

Microsludge HB User
    High ejection factor on HIDA Scan

Hello,

It is my understanding that normal ejection factor readings range from 35%-75%. Less than 35% indicates an underperfoming gallbladder requiring surgery, but I have not been able to find any information on readings above 75%.

I recently had a HIDA scan with an ejection factor reading of 87%. I have a whole slew of weird symptoms, but the surgeon was not able to comment on the high reading, nor was he able to connect it, to what I have been experiencing.

Does anyone know what a high ejection factor means?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
    Collector167
    (male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
    Re: High ejection factor on HIDA Scan

A high ejection factor means that your gallbladder is emptying out more of its bile content than a normal gallbladder would.

Bile is necessary to break down fats and assist in digestion, but it is powerful stuff and can create problems in the digestive system if too much is released.

As odd as it sounds, apparently one treatment is to remove the gallbladder. Perhaps there is a medicine that could neutralize the excess bile?

Old 02-01-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
    Microsludge
    (female)

Microsludge HB User
    Re: High ejection factor on HIDA Scan

Dear Collector,

Thank you for your reply. I have recently created a lot of threads on this board regarding my constellation of problems which have been loose soft yellow orange stool - a bit oily & smelly and a constant bitter, sour, metallic taste in my mouth, both of which started in November and have not abated. There is also the issue of mildly elevated pancreatic enzymes which have been fluctuating between near normal all this time as well. I have had numerous studies, none of which, have been able to get to the bottom of this. Based on my symptoms, folks initially thought it was my GB, but after an US, CT & EUS; they said it's not your gallbladder, not your pancreas. We think you're nuts just go away. Exasperated by my GP & 2 GI docs, I asked a family friend who is a surgeon to order the HIDA scan - and hence the 87% ejection factor. He wasn't able to offer much guidance and basically said go back to you GP & GI - we normally operate on folks with values below 35%, but the verdict is still out on what to do with folks over 75%.

I am starting to think that the fatty stools may be bile salt diarrhea and the mouth burning/taste also related to the bile. I just don't know anymore - other than I feel terrible...

Thanks, again.

Closed Thread