It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Digestive Disorders Message Board

  • Small Intestine Polyps???

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
    Microsludge
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Microsludge's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: New Haven, CT
    Posts: 38
    Microsludge HB User
    Small Intestine Polyps???

    Hello,

    I just had a SmartPill exam of my small intestine yesterday for chronic diarrhea. The doctor said I had a nice intestine, but then also mentioned that he saw an area of interest, perhaps a fold, perhaps a polyp that he could not ignore & while he did not think it was causing my syptoms, I might need a CT enterography at some point in the future. This scares me! One more thing to worry about...

    I am a 39 year old female who was othrewise healthy until November of last year. I do have a history of uterine polyps & while being worked up for my digestive issues 2 stomach polyps were located & biopsied. They were benign. Now this thing in my small intestine.

    Does anyone else know that they have polyps in their small intestine?

    I have never had a colonoscopy, so maybe they're there, too.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Posts: 5,099
    writeleft HB User
    Re: Small Intestine Polyps???

    I recently had a colonoscopy/endoscopy after experiencing abdominal pain. I had a few polyps that were removed, and they were determined to be benign.

    If it is recommended that you undergo colonoscopy, don't hesitate to do it. The procedure takes just moments, and you don't remember a thing. Afterwards you can have the peace of mind knowing everything is ok.

    Good luck!

     
    Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
    chevmal283
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: california
    Posts: 101
    chevmal283 HB User
    Re: Small Intestine Polyps???

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
    I recently had a colonoscopy/endoscopy after experiencing abdominal pain. I had a few polyps that were removed, and they were determined to be benign.

    If it is recommended that you undergo colonoscopy, don't hesitate to do it. The procedure takes just moments, and you don't remember a thing. Afterwards you can have the peace of mind knowing everything is ok.

    Good luck!
    Hello. We live in same city. The SmallPill exam that the poster speaks about, have you ever heard of it? I'm searching for a Gastro in area that administers this test. So far cannot find one. Would you happen to know of one, or two, or three, or more that do?

    How did you not remember a thing? I've been told this in past. I was awake for the colon and endo. A friend mentioned that I didn't have the real deal then. I don't know. So what is the deal with that?

     
    Old 02-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Posts: 5,099
    writeleft HB User
    Re: Small Intestine Polyps???

    I have heard of the smallpill, but it was not used in my case. Perhaps Microsludge could fill us all in on the smallpill.

    As far as "not remembering a thing", my procedure was done using a "twilight sleep" medication. I dont remember the exact medications name, but I bet other posters will.

    Of course, I was not speaking of the preparation, or the time up until the actual procedure...once the medication was administered, I have no memory until I "woke up", a few minutes later. Soon afterwards, I had my results, and I was on my way.

    I hope that answers your questions...

     
    Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
    chevmal283
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: california
    Posts: 101
    chevmal283 HB User
    Re: Small Intestine Polyps???

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
    I have heard of the smallpill, but it was not used in my case. Perhaps Microsludge could fill us all in on the smallpill.

    As far as "not remembering a thing", my procedure was done using a "twilight sleep" medication. I dont remember the exact medications name, but I bet other posters will.

    Of course, I was not speaking of the preparation, or the time up until the actual procedure...once the medication was administered, I have no memory until I "woke up", a few minutes later. Soon afterwards, I had my results, and I was on my way.

    I hope that answers your questions...


    I've gathered some info on the SmartPill Exam. I contacted via email some asking if they would refer me to a gastro/doc whom administers the test. Pretty amazing ....more later.

    Are you treated by pain doctor?

    I seem to recall we can ask the doctor's name...just no bad mouthing,etc.

    I just realized that I'm not posting on the back or neck section.

    Well, if ya know of a good pain manager still..pass it along.

     
    Old 02-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
    Microsludge
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Microsludge's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: New Haven, CT
    Posts: 38
    Microsludge HB User
    Re: Small Intestine Polyps???

    The SmartPill exam was painless & a little strange psychologically. You prep by not eating for about 15-18 hrs. prior. Only liquid diet after having a lunch the previous day & then some other dietary inconveniences which are not really a bit deal if you are feelin crummy to begin with. The strange thing is that you really have no definitive way of knowing when you pass the darn thing. I have had 2 bowel movememnts since the test & I still have no idea.

    Anyway, I think tracking doen someone in your srea who does the exam should be pretty straightforward. I see you're in San Diego - perhaps contact Scripps - Digestive Diseases or else a university/medical school hospital setting nearby. Although private practice offices are beginning to offer the exam in greater numbers, they may be a little more difficult to find. The big academic medical centers would be my first stop.

     
    Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
    chevmal283
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: california
    Posts: 101
    chevmal283 HB User
    Re: Small Intestine Polyps???

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Microsludge View Post
    The SmartPill exam was painless & a little strange psychologically. You prep by not eating for about 15-18 hrs. prior. Only liquid diet after having a lunch the previous day & then some other dietary inconveniences which are not really a bit deal if you are feelin crummy to begin with. The strange thing is that you really have no definitive way of knowing when you pass the darn thing. I have had 2 bowel movememnts since the test & I still have no idea.

    Anyway, I think tracking doen someone in your srea who does the exam should be pretty straightforward. I see you're in San Diego - perhaps contact Scripps - Digestive Diseases or else a university/medical school hospital setting nearby. Although private practice offices are beginning to offer the exam in greater numbers, they may be a little more difficult to find. The big academic medical centers would be my first stop.
    I read about this new technology last night. It is amazing. I found some site listed as being in SD that had article posted regarding SmartPill, so wrote them asking if test offered in this area. Going to call them tomorrow too. Didn't even think about Scripps, which is odd since it supposively number one here, though Sharp just open an amazing facility somewhere in SD.

    You have no idea if ya passed it, but the computer does. That amazes me. After nine years of telling docs that I knew my bladder was dysfunctional, finally technology around to prove I was right. It was a very painful and embarrassing procedure. Still, hooked up to computer and the doc was able to learn that my bladder neck didn't open like it should. Now I'm to have surgery on bladder, which I don't want to, but I don't want to pee all the time either. It's weird, the bladder neck doesn't open due to neuro damage, so use some sort of microwaves to open it up for good. Sounds fishy to me.

    I have spoken to folks who believe all of these surgeries (bladder and gallbladder removal) unnecessary. They say that there is a way to get the wiring in your body back to working correctly. I don't know. I agree with them that it is obvious that I've experience a tremendous amount of trauma to system via back and neck surgeries, but my understanding is, once nerves dead, they dead.

    Was excited about stem cells, and so are the folks preaching it, then someone on other side of that conviction tells me that we don't know what is going to happen years down the line after these stems cells used to help folk. I on a tagent here. Better stop. Much blessings to ya.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Polyps in Small Intestine? Microsludge Bowel Disorders 1 02-03-2009 05:49 PM
    A large intestine problem that defies diagnosis ac72 Bowel Disorders 1 07-05-2008 03:27 PM
    Chron's disease in the small intestine! Questions amberwalsch Bowel Disorders 6 04-10-2008 10:05 PM
    IBS and small intestine? jeff1 Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) 0 03-10-2006 01:13 PM
    small intestine (bowel) cancer questions??? dizzyhead Bowel Disorders 3 04-04-2005 11:11 AM
    Small bowel tumor amwood Cancer: Bowel 12 12-09-2004 10:12 AM
    Study on Bacterial Overgrowth of Small Intestine and IBS ncgirl88 Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) 1 10-06-2004 07:06 PM
    Any suggestions for bacterial overgrowth of small intestine/alternative to antibiotic xtian1 Alternative Medicine 3 06-27-2003 01:23 PM
    My Naturopath/Dr. says no Kyodophilus for bacterial overgrowth of small intestine?! xtian1 Bowel Disorders 0 06-13-2003 07:10 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 AM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!