It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• 4 months post cholecystectomy - pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
    Obergurgl
    (female)

Obergurgl HB User
    4 months post cholecystectomy - pain

Just over 4 months' ago I had a laparoscopic cholecystectomy (immediately followed by ERCP and acute pancreatitis - and a 3-week stay in hospital!). Anyway, I sometimes get pain here and there. But the most regular pain seems to be about waist level, front thro to back, on left side. I notice it more when walking or taking in a deep breath. It happened the other day after eating a very large hotel buffet meal which of course would have been pretty oily. I am wondering if this has anything to do with my diet - as I feel it's not as healthy as it should be seeing as I don't have a gall bladder any more. Without a gall bladder am I supposed to be on a pretty healthy diet? Any thoughts from anyone ... ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
    Re: 4 months post cholecystectomy - pain

When you have your gallbladder taken out you will have to experiment with the diets. I have found that have to eat 6 small meals a day. If I eat too much I will get bloated and nausea - I will belch and have horrible gas. You will probably have to watch the fatty foods. Some people have their gallbladder removed and it doesn't bother them at all and other have to go on a bland diet. I am on a bland diet.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I also get the waist pain and phantom pain which is gas. It travels to the front and back.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
    BJS123
    (male)

BJS123 HB User

After my gall bladder removal, I was told stay on a fat-free diet as much as possible. When I have strayed into fried foods, etc., pain has been the result.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
    sunsetbeach
    (female)

sunsetbeach HB User

Hi, why did you have an ercp right after your GB removal? Who did it and did they stent you afterwards? You could be experiencing sod or chronic pancreatitis. An eus or ercp can look for this but only get an experienced dr to do this especially since you got AP before from it. You should probably still be sticking to a lowfat diet as well until your body can handle more fats.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I was told after you have a ERCP you have to stay on a low fat diet or the pain will return again.

Closed Thread