It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Gallstone nausea question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
    her70cuda
    (female)

her70cuda HB User
    Gallstone nausea question

I'm scared. I started with only the pain attacks when the gallbladder would flare up and now every time I eat anything I also have nausea. Does anyone know what exactly causes the nausea and if there is anything one can do to help it.

I'm still waiting for a surgical consult which I am scared to death of having surgery anyway but it still looks like it might be a while. My hubby is working nights, it's snowing and we're rural and I want to try to prevent any emergencies right now if at all possible because if I needed emergency surgery it's an hour in good weather.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Gallstone nausea question

I don't know why but I do know that I tried to eat as fat free as possible but by a month or so before I finally had mine out I was having mild nausea most of the time.

Why are you having to wait so long to see the surgeon? Are there just not that any where you live?

Old 12-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
    her70cuda
    (female)

her70cuda HB User

The one Doc the ER referred me to is about an hour south and they must be booked up pretty heavy because I was told he didn't even have time for a consult till after the beginning of the year. I went to an appt with a NP here in town Monday and she's getting me a referral to another surgeon in another larger town about an hour east of us. We have a Hospital here in town (population of about 3500) but they don't do these surgeries.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, you definitely want someone who does a lot of these. Hopefully you'll see someone soon. Just be VERY careful about what you eat. Even some Lean Cuisines have a lot of fat so you really have to watch it.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
    dianajune
    Inactive
    (female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by her70cuda View Post
    I'm scared. I started with only the pain attacks when the gallbladder would flare up and now every time I eat anything I also have nausea. Does anyone know what exactly causes the nausea and if there is anything one can do to help it.

I'm still waiting for a surgical consult which I am scared to death of having surgery anyway but it still looks like it might be a while. My hubby is working nights, it's snowing and we're rural and I want to try to prevent any emergencies right now if at all possible because if I needed emergency surgery it's an hour in good weather.

It could be what you're eating. I had my gallbladder out nearly 5 years ago and found that greasy stuff made it act up. Even after surgery you may have to be careful about your diet. Everyone reacts to the surgery differently.

I'm having problems now because I had a hernia repair/bowel resection two weeks ago and was told to be careful about not eating too much fiber for now. I'm trying to strike a balance between eating stuff that's easy to digest but not really fattening either. It's not easy.

I understand your concerns about surgery, but it would be best to take care of this now before it turns into an emergency. Mine wasn't, but I know someone whose gallbladder was full of stones and infected.

You will probably be able to have it out with a laparoscope (spelling?), which will shorten the recovery time. I was home the day after my surgery.

Please keep us posted....

Last edited by dianajune; 12-06-2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: typo

Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
    megss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

megss HB User

Hi, I had my gallbladder out a week ago. I felt exactly the same way as you. Nausiated ALL the time, almost constant pain in the gallbladder area, and attacks that were excruciating. The last attack I got was after I ate some cous cous that that cooked with some butter.

When the surgeon removed my gallbladder, it was full of stones, but one was gigantic he said. I don't know exactly how big because I was too out of it to ask, but he was amazed by it so it must have been huge. I am glad I had it taken out because I suspect that it would have become an emergency soon, especially if that big one had gotten lodged in my bile ducts.

So try to get in sooner. I live in a big city and was able to get in right away, and had the surgery a week and a half later. I had known about the stones for only a few months, after a long time of not feeling well and pain and many tests I finally had a diagnosis, but I did not get it out right away. My very first attack was when I was pregnant 2.5 years ago. I went to the ER with the classic symptoms, but nothing showed up on the ultra sound. I find it weird because I am positive that is what it was.

Anyway, watch what you eat and try to get a consult sooner.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
    her70cuda
    (female)

her70cuda HB User

I have a consult appt for Dec 23rd now. Just about every time I eat now I get knot feeling in my stomach and nausea along with a bloated feeling. I'm so afraid that I have been fighting off panic attacks

Old 12-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
    her70cuda
    (female)

her70cuda HB User

Tomorrow is the consult day. I'm still feeling like crap and scared of this.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
    jns1022
    (female)

jns1022 HB User

Don't be worried. I just had my gallbladder removed on Dec. 9th and was home from the hospital the same day. The recovery process is not bad at all and you'll feel much better after you have your gallbladder removed.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Just eat non fat foods - that is what I had to do while I was waiting for my surgery.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
    her70cuda
    (female)

her70cuda HB User

Ok the appt. isn't till Feb 4th. I hope it holds out that long. I've been eating a simple diet of nonfat foods and cereal but I'm still dealing with a ton of nausea.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
    her70cuda
    (female)

her70cuda HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jns1022 View Post
    Don't be worried. I just had my gallbladder removed on Dec. 9th and was home from the hospital the same day. The recovery process is not bad at all and you'll feel much better after you have your gallbladder removed.
    I always appreciate hearing from those who have had it done. I've never had any surgery and it really scares me. Did you feel fairly at least mostly alert after you woke up? I don't look foreward to being groggy and embarassed the rest of the day.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #13
    jns1022
    (female)

jns1022 HB User

It was the first time I'd ever had surgery and I was very scared as well. Before I developed my gallbladder issues I hadn't even been to a doctor in over 6 years because it stresses me out. Let me tell you, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had to be at the hospital at 6 o'clock the morning of the surgery. I checked in and then had to change into a hospital gown. A nurse then came and put in an IV. By about 6:45 I had been taken down to the pre-op holding area or whatever you call it. After being down there for a little while they gave me drugs that were to help me relax. I remember being wheeled into the operating room and sliding over on to the table but not too much after that. Next thing I know, I was waking up in the recovery room. The first thing I did was ask the nurse sitting beside of me if I was alive. Haha! At first I didn't even remember going to the OR until a few minutes later. I guess everyone reacts differently to anesthesia but I didn't have a problem waking up and I didn't experience any nausea. I was a little groggy when I was first coming to but that had mostly past by the time I was taken back to by room which was about 9:15. The worst thing that I experienced was that my mouth was extremely dry even after getting ice chips and later ginger ale. The top incision did ache slightly for a little while but I was not in pain like I was expecting to be. The nurse told me to let her know if I need any pain medication which I didn't take any while I was there. By 12 o'clock I was ready to get up and move around. I went to the bathroom and then had to sit in the chair for a little while to make sure I wasn't going to get sick to my stomach. By 1 o'clock I was on my way home from the hopital. If there is anything else you would like to know about feel free to ask me. I'll try to be of as much help as I can be.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #14
    her70cuda
    (female)

her70cuda HB User

jns1022,
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. That doesn't sound as bad as my mind was imagining. The Doctor seems pretty experienced with the surgery so that made me feel a little better. I sure am not liking the thought of the whole thing though. Holes and cutting and all that.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
    jns1022
    (female)

jns1022 HB User

Neither was I. I am 25 years old and up until 6 weeks ago had never even had blood drawn before, seriously. The worst part was the anticipation of it all, which was pretty terrifying for me. Luckily, I had a consultation with a surgeon on Nov. 30th, 5 days after my ultrasound, and was scheduled for surgery on Dec. 9th so I didn't have to wait very long. Everyone kept telling me, family and friends, that I would be fine and it was no big deal. It sure was to me and I told them all that until I woke up after the surgery that I was going to be afraid. You're probably feeling the same way. Now it's done and over and I feel much better. The incisions are very small and have healed up well. I was back at work in a week.

Closed Thread