It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Can anyone help me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
    savannahmary
    (female)

savannahmary HB User
    Can anyone help me?

First off, let me say that I do understand that any information here cannot be considered a diagnosis. I'm just hoping someone can help me figure out which direction to go in next.

Background: I'm a 21-year-old female. I had my gallbladder removed at 17, so my problems can't be that.

Symptoms: Constant nausea, dizziness, vertigo, fainting, rapid weight loss (13% of my body weight in 2 months), loose stools (not frequent, though), poor appetite, (my hair has been falling out also, which I'm guessing is related to not being able to eat well)

This may get very long. I'm going to give the whole medical history here and maybe one of you can see what the doctors may be over-looking.

On December 30, I woke up feeling fine, but at around 11 AM I suddenly felt very warm and nauseated, and I could not cool off no matter how hard I tried. I tried to go back to bed and see if the symptoms would subside. When I woke up after about an hour of sleeping, the feeling that I was overheating had gone away, but the nausea was getting worse. I couldn't sleep at all the rest of the night because of how uncomfortable I was. I went to the doctor the following morning and she felt that all of my problems were related to high blood pressure (which I should mention usually runs normal at home, but for some reason I get nervous every time I enter a doctor's office and my heart rate spikes, so my blood pressure goes up). She did an EKG and everything looked normal. Then, she put me on 240mg of Verapamil.

The only things I have been able to eat this entire time are toast, crackers, and applesauce. Some days, I can't even eat the toast or crackers because they make me feel sick too. If I try to eat anything else, I feel extremely nauseated.

I had an Upper GI. It showed that I have GERD, so I was put on Prilosec 20mg twice a day. That still didn't help my symptoms.

About, 13 days after the Upper GI, I woke up and had the feeling that I was overheating again. I got extremely nauseated, so I went into my garage hoping that fresh air would help it pass (bad idea). The next thing I knew, I woke up on my garage floor shaking pretty badly. Unfortunately, I was alone so no one knows how long I was unconscious for. I went to the Emergency Room and the doctor thought I had fainted because of my digestive symptoms getting so bad.

I saw the general surgeon here after that. He did an endoscopy and colonoscopy with biopsies and found nothing abnormal. So, of course he labeled it as Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I really, really do not think this is related to IBS, though. I have had IBS for years following my gall bladder removal. What usually happens is after eating something high in fat, I'll begin to have lower abdominal cramping and I'll need to go to the bathroom immediately. It has never once made me feel nauseated. I'm not having the abdominal cramping either. Also, as they have explained to me, the foods I have been eating shouldn't be making me sick. So, I'm really hesitant to accept that this is the cause of my problems.

Somewhere along the way in my various visits to the clinic and ER, I have had a CBC, my thyroid checked, checked for anemia, a CT scan of my abdomen, and everything looks normal.

I don't know what else to do from here. I feel so helpless at this point. I feel miserable and the doctors can't seem to help. I really do not want to spend more months, years, or even my whole life feeling so terrible. Has anyone else had anything similar? What do I do from here?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
    Re: Can anyone help me?

I was a healthy person before I got my gallbladder removed and then I had so many digestive problems after I had it removed. I spent my whole summer going to every doctor to find answers. I was experiencing dizziness, nausea, gas, cramping, diarrehea and more. I saw a gasterologist and they found mild non specific gastritis. They couldn't really find nothing wrong with me so I had to do my own research. I now take Welchol which absorbs all the excess bile and binds it so you don't get diarrehea - the bile was causing irritation in my stomach and it caused the gastritis. The only time I get nausea now is if my sinuses bother me or if I get my menstrual cycle. The dizziness for me I think is caused by the gas - it builds up in my stomach and I feel like I going to blow up. The gas travels to my shoulder and sometimes it stays trapped in my chest. As soon as I burp the pressure goes away. I believe all my problems are due to not having a gallbladder. This is enough to make you go crazy. My hair is coming out too. My last doctor visit though showed my liver enzymes were raised slightly so I might have sphinctor of the oddi dyfunction. I just wish I had one day where I feel good. It is like my stomach is playing tricks on me. Your diet has to totally change after your gallbladder is removed and eat non-fat and I have found I have to eat small meals throughout the day.

I would go to a gasterologist who is very experienced and discuss what happens after you get your gallbladder removed. Discuss what your going through.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Also, I have the hot feeling and had my thyroid checked - found nothing. I would go to the doctors get my blood pressure checked and it would go up when I was at the doctors "white coat fever" is what they call it. I was also eating crackers and applesauce. I would go along in the day feeling good and all of the sudden feel nauseated. Sometimes my face would get really warm. Also, a common side effect from getting your gallbladder taken out for some people they get diarrehea. Doctors are quick to label it IBS which I went ahead got tested and I didn't have it. The bile causes it so I took the Welchol so that wouldn't happen.

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-02-2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use Quick Reply rather than Quote Reply

Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
    buckwheat1234
    (female)

buckwheat1234 HB User
    Angry Re: Can anyone help me?

does ANYONE know What YOU CAN EAT AFTER you gallbladder has been removed???? all iI can find is Low Fat diets, but i know you can't eat gassy foods like brocolli, brussel sprouts beans cauliflower. BUT what CAN you eat????: ,confused:

Old 04-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

For vegetables I do well with Green Beans, Asparagus, Tomatoes, and squash.

Stay away from acidic foods like tomato sauce, apple juice, and orange juice. Sometimes people with no gallbladder will get acid reflux.

Whole wheat bread and brown rice is good. Sweat potatoes are good too.

Maybe try a digestive enzyme to help with digestion. No fried food or fatty food. Any vegetables that could cause gas like onions, broccoli, etc. Each individual is different sometimes.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
    rose4me
    (female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

gigi11, I also have that hot feeling since the gall bladder removal ??? Any ideas from other fellow Gb-less folks would be appreciated. I am post menopausal and never had hot flashes - I know - unusual - but I am thankful to have escaped that. From the sound of it to me at least, I would suspect some sort of hormonal 'rebalancing' after the plumbing has been altered - as I said, any input would be appreciated.
    savannahmary - how are you doing? Any answers yet for you?
    Rose

Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 AM   #7
    savannahmary
    (female)

savannahmary HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rose4me View Post
    gigi11, I also have that hot feeling since the gall bladder removal ??? Any ideas from other fellow Gb-less folks would be appreciated. I am post menopausal and never had hot flashes - I know - unusual - but I am thankful to have escaped that. From the sound of it to me at least, I would suspect some sort of hormonal 'rebalancing' after the plumbing has been altered - as I said, any input would be appreciated.
    savannahmary - how are you doing? Any answers yet for you?
    Rose
    No answers for me yet. I saw a gastroenterologist. He ordered an MRI and a HIDA Scan, but both came back completely normal. I can't follow up with him because he's no longer at the clinic where I saw him. I called the Mayo Clinic today in Minnesota, and I will be going there as soon as they call me to let me know when I can be seen.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
    savannahmary
    (female)

savannahmary HB User

Just a quick update:

I had a few blood tests last week and my Lipase came back slightly elevated. On a scale of 17-63, it was 81. However, my Amylase was normal, so my doctor is unsure why that would happen and is looking into it.

I'm also having an ultrasound tomorrow morning to see if the small cysts they found in my ovaries are causing the problem.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 AM   #9
    gigi234949
    (female)

gigi234949 HB User

go to Doctor Oz web site tell him your story.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:47 AM   #10
    savannahmary
    (female)

savannahmary HB User

I just wanted to update this. It's been about a year now. I'm doing much better. I ended up going to a homeopathic doctor he found out that I had a few viruses, a kidney infection, yeast overgrowth, and acetaldehyde poisoning. All of this was out of my system as of November. He also found out that I have a ton of food sensitivities - yeast, aspartame, corn syrup, sodium nitrates, sunflower oil and many more.

My acid reflux is much better and continues to get better. I rarely feel the symptoms anymore. I'm on a digestive enzyme and down to Prilosec only once a day before bed. I'm down 120 lbs and no longer overweight. My blood pressure is usually 115/80 and my pulse at 65. My life has really turned around. I'm still having problems with fatigue and my memory, but I have faith that they will improve with time too. My immune system is down, I caught some sort of respiratory infection in February, but that has cleared up now too. Hopefully, the immune system will heal quickly because I'm somewhat afraid of catching more bugs and going through that hell all over again. Even though I'm still technically "sick" I think I'm healthier than I have been in my whole life.

Thank you to everyone here for your support. I really appreciate having people who somewhat understood what I was going through as it was such a difficult time in my life.

Closed Thread