It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Esophagus closes up for hours

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
    beverlyleon
    (female)

beverlyleon HB User
    Question Esophagus closes up for hours

For the past about 10 years I have been having problems with my espohagus closing up while eating, ususally steak. It is becoming more frequent and each episode lasts longer. The last one lasted over 14 hours.

Has anyone else had this probelm, and, if so what is it? How do you treat it? Am I likely to die? I am on some medications like progesterone and have been for approximately the same amount of time. Could this be the culprit?

Please let me know if you have knowledge about this subject.

Beverlyleon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: Esophagus closes up for hours

You are probably having esophageal spasms. Try drinking a hot drink along with your meal and see if it helps to keep the esophagus relaxed.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: Esophagus closes up for hours

I have the same thing for the last 8 years but the last 2 years it has been severe. I have ended up in the ER twice with it. It usually happens more in the morning for me.

Nitro under the tounge has saved me from going to the ER.... it relaxes the esophagus and allows the food to pass. I only use if it is NOT going to go down. But it works great. I always keep it with me. Get a prescription for it.

I just had a upper and lower scope and the could not find a reason for this. I am having an upper GI next week. I do have Celiac, a milk allergy and tested positive for H Pylori...so I taking medication for the H Pylori.

I have been gluten free for 8 months and milk and dairy free almost 2 years.

The food getting stuck is a real headache and scary.

Good luck. Oleander

Closed Thread