It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Please help - gastritis question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
    vegemitee
    (female)

vegemitee HB User
    Please help - gastritis question

I recently did an endoscopy and have been diagnosed with chronic gastritis. Doctor put me on Nexium 40mg twice a day and I have been taking them for 8weeks now. I've started to cut down on the dosage and am now on 20mg once in the morning. I feel fine in the morning and afternoon but come evening after dinner, I start having discomfort/pain just below the breatbone and acid reflux. I really do not want to revert to original Nexium dosage.

Does anyone know if there's anything that I can take that will ease the pain? I've tried antacid and Zantac but they don't seem to work and I really don't want to add more medication. I have tried aloe vera juice and it has help tremendously but only with the belching and acid reflux.

Anything else I can try?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
    Re: Please help - gastritis question

What are your symptoms? I always wondered about gastritis. They found a mild version of it but non-specific. At the time it felt like pain in my stomach and belching like crazy. I have no gallbladder and I think the bile caused the gastritis but I take welchol now to absorb the bile. That was 8 months ago but I now have that same pain again but it might sphinctor of the oddi or gastritis - not sure??

When they found the gastritis they never really gave me a remedy for it. Do you get nausea with it?? I get attacks of nausea sometimes after meals with tones of belching. My doctor put me on Zantac thinking maybe this is acid reflux.

Have you tried prilosac?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
    vegemitee
    (female)

vegemitee HB User

I have multiple symptoms, indigestion, burning sensation and discomfort in the stomach, hunger pains, gnawing pain in upper middle abdomen, belching, acid reflux. And yes, I do get nauseaus. I have not tried prilosec. I have tried pariet, controloc and lastly nexium and none of them have really worked 100%. I have pain while taking them and I really do not want to try another ppi.

Is zantac helping with the acid reflux? For acid reflux and belching I'm taking aloe vera juice and it helps tremendously. Anyway I am turning to natural remedies and see how it goes. I am going to try manuka honey next. I don't mind taking antacids but no more ppi for me!

Old 04-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vegemitee View Post
    I have multiple symptoms, indigestion, burning sensation and discomfort in the stomach, hunger pains, gnawing pain in upper middle abdomen, belching, acid reflux. And yes, I do get nauseaus. I have not tried prilosec. I have tried pariet, controloc and lastly nexium and none of them have really worked 100%. I have pain while taking them and I really do not want to try another ppi.

Is zantac helping with the acid reflux? For acid reflux and belching I'm taking aloe vera juice and it helps tremendously. Anyway I am turning to natural remedies and see how it goes. I am going to try manuka honey next. I don't mind taking antacids but no more ppi for me!
    My doctor gave me Zantac 150 mg twice a day for a prescription much stronger than over the counter. It took two weeks to finally kick in and my acid reflux has gone away or under control. I don't know how long PPI take to work when you first take them but my belching is gone.

I was having a tightening in the waist, burning in the chest, acid coming into my throat when I woke up in the a.m. - nausea was on and off during the day, belching was constant even if I drank water. When I get like that I have to eat soup and crackers only and no other foods. When it finally calms down I can go back to normal food.

I heard apple cidar that you buy from the health food store works too.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
    vegemitee
    (female)

vegemitee HB User

When I first had my symptoms, my gastro gave me zantac 150mg. Didn't work and he switched me to all the varieties of PPI and this is only after a few days of trying one. After doing some research, I realized it takes as long as 2 weeks for the PPI to work for some people and to take the medication at least an hour before meal. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if the zantac could have worked for me if I stayed on it longer. Sure would have saved some money!

For nauseous, I was given a prokinectic drug, Ganaton. This helps food clear faster from the stomach so that it does not produces gas and acid which is causing the nauseous feeling. I burp/belch just from getting up from a sitting position.

I have wanted to try apple cider vinegar, but have heard stories where some people were greatly traumatized after taking them. I'll just leave it as my last alternative.

Anyway, hope we all find something or anything that works for us! God bless.

Closed Thread