It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• GB removed 4 months ago...Having acid reflux now?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
    jns1022
    (female)

jns1022 HB User
    GB removed 4 months ago...Having acid reflux now?

Had my gallbladder removed in December after 3 gallbladder attacks. Thought that would solve all of my problems...WRONG! In fact, I'm having more issues than I was. My doctor thinks I have acid reflux and possibly a hiatal hernia. I took Prilosec and then Nexium for a total of six weeks from January to mid March. Would those problems cause these issues?

Abdomen is tender to the touch - breast bone to above navel
    Burping
    Hiccups
    Chest discomfort
    Back, shoulder, and neck achiness
    Random twinges of pain in the upper abdomen

I ate an ice cream bar and my chest ached for an hour. Had just one alcoholic beverage and it felt like I had a really bad cramp in the center of my back. Experienced a back aches sometimes after eating. Drank a glass of water somewhat quickly and had stomach pain and shoulder pain. Ate some soup while it was hot and not only my back but the back of my neck started aching. Sometimes these episodes happen at random times and usually subside after about an hour. Have had heartburn a couple times.

I'm miserable! I do have an appoinment with a Gastroenterologist in a week. Went to my primary care doctor a couple days ago because I was worried that something more serious was going on but he thinks it's reflux and gave me a prescription for Prevacid. Does anyone else have this type of symptoms with acid reflux? What, if anything, can I do to help these symptoms in the meantime. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
    Re: GB removed 4 months ago...Having acid reflux now?

Yep, join the club. The doctors famous drug to hand out is acid reflux medicine - they love to hand that out for people who do not have a gallbladder. They think it is a cure all. I have no gallbladder I have all your symptoms and nausea - the belching is awful because it stays trapped in my stomach. I am lucky my husband works because I can't with all this stomach trouble.

This is what I do to eliminate some of my chest belching attacks and some attacks - Per meal I eat only 2 grams of fat but that is up to you. No alcohol, no preservatives or pre packages foods. I stick to olive oil for cooking. No red meat, no chemicals. I eat organic foods. Had to change my whole diet. I eat small meals because if I eat too much I get full and belchie.

I went to a gastro doctor and had all the test - the first one they may do is a ERCP xray to see if any stones were left behind. Then endoscopy to see what is going on in your stomach.

Everyone keeps telling me that I may Sphinctor of the oddi dysfunction.. I go to John Hopkins next month to find out. I am sick of the nausea and belching.

Get yourself real educated online because the gastro doctor sometimes doesn't relate that having your gallbladder taken out can cause stomach issues. Mine all started after mine came out.

Remember your bile keeps coming from the liver weather you eat or not and sometimes can cause gastritis because you don't have a gallbladder to catch the excess.

Stress can also make it worse - I noticed that. You can also get anxiety from all this because you just want answers as to what the heck is going on in my stomach "a war" -- I had to have therapy over this can you believe and doctors still can't give me an answer. I think about it 24/7 because whenever I am at important envents my stomach always fails me. I am afraid to take a vacation.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
    jns1022
    (female)

jns1022 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
    Yep, join the club. The doctors famous drug to hand out is acid reflux medicine - they love to hand that out for people who do not have a gallbladder. They think it is a cure all. I have no gallbladder I have all your symptoms and nausea - the belching is awful because it stays trapped in my stomach. I am lucky my husband works because I can't with all this stomach trouble.

This is what I do to eliminate some of my chest belching attacks and some attacks - Per meal I eat only 2 grams of fat but that is up to you. No alcohol, no preservatives or pre packages foods. I stick to olive oil for cooking. No red meat, no chemicals. I eat organic foods. Had to change my whole diet. I eat small meals because if I eat too much I get full and belchie.

I went to a gastro doctor and had all the test - the first one they may do is a ERCP xray to see if any stones were left behind. Then endoscopy to see what is going on in your stomach.

Everyone keeps telling me that I may Sphinctor of the oddi dysfunction.. I go to John Hopkins next month to find out. I am sick of the nausea and belching.

Get yourself real educated online because the gastro doctor sometimes doesn't relate that having your gallbladder taken out can cause stomach issues. Mine all started after mine came out.

Remember your bile keeps coming from the liver weather you eat or not and sometimes can cause gastritis because you don't have a gallbladder to catch the excess.

Stress can also make it worse - I noticed that. You can also get anxiety from all this because you just want answers as to what the heck is going on in my stomach "a war" -- I had to have therapy over this can you believe and doctors still can't give me an answer. I think about it 24/7 because whenever I am at important envents my stomach always fails me. I am afraid to take a vacation.
    So, is it common for people who have had their gallbladder removed to experience these symptoms?

I tried Prilosec for 2 weeks and then Nexium for a month. Didn't think they were helping at all in fact, I thought maybe I was having side effects from Nexium as my symptoms eased up for a few days after stopping it. After about a week things were worse than ever. Now I've been taking Prevacid for the last couple days.

I can't certainly relate to what you said about thinking about it 24/7. I'm doing the absolute same thing. I never know when I eat/drink if it is going to cause chest, back, or shoulder pain. Also wake up in the morning feeling slightly nauseous but it usually passes after about an hour. When I went to my primary care doc the other day I was freaking out thinking something was seriously wrong with me. He just thinks it's reflux.

For the last couple months I've been having so much trouble sleeping through the night which I think is because the anxiety I'm having over this. He gave me a prescription for Hydroxyzine to take before bedtime. I'm so worried that I'm never going to feel good again!

The gallbladder attacks were excruciating but at least they subsided after several hours. No, I didin't feel well when I had my gallbladder but what I'm going through now might be worse.

You know, the gallbladder is obviously there for a reason. People kept telling me before I had the surgery that "oh, you don't need it anyway." Apparently it is way more important than people give it credit for. How long ago was it when you had your GB surgery and how long afterwards did you start experiencing the symptoms that you have now?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
    IrishChica
    (female)

IrishChica HB User

I had my gallbladder out in May of 2007, then my appendix out in March of 2008. I felt better than I had in a long, long time after I got both of them out, and I had no problems until now. I don't know if it's related or not. I have nausea, abdominal pain, and just general digestive issues. I was in the hospital for four days last week. They discharged me with Bentyl (antispasmodic) and Zofran (anti-nausea) medicines. I feel a little better each day. They think my bile duct may be having spasms. I do get heartburn, but not as badly as yours sounds. I just take OTC Prilosec or Pepcid occasionally.

After I got my gallbladder out, it took me quite a while to feel better. You have to be careful of what you eat to. For my pain, a heating pad on my abdomen helps a lot. I'm not sure what else you can do until you get into the G.I. doctor. I wish I had more advice. I'm sure some others probably do. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone. Good luck, let us know how you are.

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jns1022 View Post
    So, is it common for people who have had their gallbladder removed to experience these symptoms?

I tried Prilosec for 2 weeks and then Nexium for a month. Didn't think they were helping at all in fact, I thought maybe I was having side effects from Nexium as my symptoms eased up for a few days after stopping it. After about a week things were worse than ever. Now I've been taking Prevacid for the last couple days.

I can't certainly relate to what you said about thinking about it 24/7. I'm doing the absolute same thing. I never know when I eat/drink if it is going to cause chest, back, or shoulder pain. Also wake up in the morning feeling slightly nauseous but it usually passes after about an hour. When I went to my primary care doc the other day I was freaking out thinking something was seriously wrong with me. He just thinks it's reflux.

For the last couple months I've been having so much trouble sleeping through the night which I think is because the anxiety I'm having over this. He gave me a prescription for Hydroxyzine to take before bedtime. I'm so worried that I'm never going to feel good again!

The gallbladder attacks were excruciating but at least they subsided after several hours. No, I didin't feel well when I had my gallbladder but what I'm going through now might be worse.

You know, the gallbladder is obviously there for a reason. People kept telling me before I had the surgery that "oh, you don't need it anyway." Apparently it is way more important than people give it credit for. How long ago was it when you had your GB surgery and how long afterwards did you start experiencing the symptoms that you have now?
    From what I read 20% to 30% have problems after gall bladder surgery. I would go through all the test the gastro doctor advises you to do and get someone that is not going to think your crazy because your symptoms are all over and then they think you have anxiety. Tell them this is real pain.

Yes you do need a gallbladder and I feel the same way. It was 3 months after my surgery I started to get a indigestion feeling once a month and then it felt like a tight belt wrapping around my waist. I went to my doctor and they said reflux. So last summer I spent doing one test after another hplyoria, MRCP, endoscopy, and colonoscopy. All they found was mild nonspecific gastritis (which will make you feel nausea and belch). I just couldn't understand the pain in the liver area. I was told by a doctor that liver has no nerves so the pain isn't coming from there. I do have a fatty liver which is slowly going away. I have been bending over backwards to get my self healthy. Acupuncture, yoga, exercise, Qibong, etc.

If I have sphinctor - I don't have attacks as some people describe like they feel like they are going to die. I just have nausea, belching and gas that travels all over and some pain in the upper right rib area.

Keep me posted in what you find out. I had some gas that was pretty bad too and sent me to the doctors two weeks ago and I thought something was really wrong with me. I have to go but I will write about my recent gas attack and see if it similiar to what you experienced.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
    jns1022
    (female)

jns1022 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
    From what I read 20% to 30% have problems after gall bladder surgery. I would go through all the test the gastro doctor advises you to do and get someone that is not going to think your crazy because your symptoms are all over and then they think you have anxiety. Tell them this is real pain.

Yes you do need a gallbladder and I feel the same way. It was 3 months after my surgery I started to get a indigestion feeling once a month and then it felt like a tight belt wrapping around my waist. I went to my doctor and they said reflux. So last summer I spent doing one test after another hplyoria, MRCP, endoscopy, and colonoscopy. All they found was mild nonspecific gastritis (which will make you feel nausea and belch). I just couldn't understand the pain in the liver area. I was told by a doctor that liver has no nerves so the pain isn't coming from there. I do have a fatty liver which is slowly going away. I have been bending over backwards to get my self healthy. Acupuncture, yoga, exercise, Qibong, etc.

If I have sphinctor - I don't have attacks as some people describe like they feel like they are going to die. I just have nausea, belching and gas that travels all over and some pain in the upper right rib area.

Keep me posted in what you find out. I had some gas that was pretty bad too and sent me to the doctors two weeks ago and I thought something was really wrong with me. I have to go but I will write about my recent gas attack and see if it similiar to what you experienced.
    Having stomach pain on and off today but it's in the center under my breast bone to a couple inches above my belly button. Started taking Prevacid Tuesday, I know it takes time to see improvement but nothing yet. I'm still having still some chest discomfort at random times throughout the day. Woke up last night with a sharp pain in the center of my chest that just lasted a second. I've had a place there that feels irritated and burns slightly. Guess that's my esophagus. I'm hoping to get answers within the next couple weeks as my appt with the gastroenterologist is Tuesday.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

My belching and burning has eased up and I think decaf coffee triggered it. I still have nausea on and off. I have been taking zantac prescription for three weeks now.

Closed Thread