It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Terrible bloating, gas, palpitations. Causes?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
    Gazaniga
    (male)

Gazaniga HB User
    Terrible bloating, gas, palpitations. Causes?

So about 7 years ago I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux and put on Prevacid. I pretty much took this as needed whenever I felt I had heartburn/reflux and was fine. Over the past year I've been increasingly getting these bloating episodes which at first I thought were just results of GERD. I eventually noticed a pattern that it was the Prevacid that was actually responsible for these symptoms and making them much worse. The symptoms were bloateding and abdominal distention (pregnant look) most of the the day, even on an empty stomach. The bloatings were also producing scary heart palpitations. So I got off the Prevacid in July, then the bloating went away within 48 hours, and so did other symptoms which I thought were caused by acid reflux such as frequent belching, chest pain, and left arm numbness.

During this time I did develop some anxiety issues so someone gave me advice to take a magnesium supplement. I took magnesium oxide for about a week. After that I switched over to chelated magnesium. It had been 3 weeks since going off the Prevacid. A couple of days after going on the chelated magnesium I started getting similar daily and prolonged bloating with heart palpitations that I did on the Prevacid (but not the other belching and pressure symptoms). I took me a week to figure out it was the magnesium causing this and after stopping it last week the bloating went away within a couple of days. Now I still feel gassy and get occasional bloating episodes and palpitations but it's nowhere near as permanent as it was on the Prevacid and magnesium (only lasts a couple of minutes).

Two nights ago I went out with friends and had some drinks. Whenever I've drank in the past I've been sure to take a Prevacid because alcohol was one of the triggers in terms of terrible heartburn. I didn't take it this time and didn't experience any unpleasant heartburn. So last night I ate some cookies and drank soy milk at about 9pm (this is a combination I've had before without any symptoms). 3 or 4 hours later I was getting terrible belching and regurgitation with some bloating and palpitations. Whenever I've had this type of bad regurgitation in the past it's usually been accompanied by an acidic feeling accompanying the regurgitated contents. This didn't really feel like that. I'm still belching this morning but nowhere near as much as last night. Also earlier this week I ate a meal consisting primarily of different types of beans which by ended up causing me tremendous gas pain in my upper abdomen before bed and throughout the next morning before I took a Pepto-Bismol which cleared it all up. This was different than the usual bloating I would get throughout the day over the past few months.

I've made an appointment with my Gastro doctor but it's not for a couple of weeks and the symptoms have been driving me crazy. The heart palps have been particularly scary although my heart tests all came back fine. Can anyone figure out what's going on? I was thinking it might be something related to low stomach acidity. I believe magnesium increases stomach pH which would explain why it would give me such bad bloating. I know my mother has had an h. pylori infection for the past 5 years (until this April when she took Prevpac) so that might be something else to consider. Could it also be gastroparesis? Either way, I think this is more complicated than just my GERD getting worse...

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
    heatherd83
    (female)

heatherd83 HB User
    Re: Terrible bloating, gas, palpitations. Causes?

I'm not sure about the gas and bloating, but the palpitations I can help with a little, hopefully. I get them, too, and have some anxiety issues and let me tell you - they are scary as hell! I've had the Holter test done, EKGs, and blood work and all have been normal. So what my doctor recommended was 3 things: 1 - Do not intake caffiene. Period. 2 - Eat more potassium. 3 - Take a magnesium supplement. Now you have obviously done the magnesium supplement without good results, but increasing your potassium intake will probably help quite a bit since potassium is what helps aid your circulatory system and heart. Also decrease your sodium intake. Potassium is found quite abundantly in potatoes, milk, and bananas (although bananas are actually the lowest of the 3). Be careful not to intake TOO much potassium, though. It can have the opposite effect you're looking for. You want a nice balance. Sometimes fish oil supplements can be helpful, too.

Closed Thread