It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Elevated ejection fraction-HIDA scan

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
    azutz5612
    (female)

azutz5612 HB User
    Red face Elevated ejection fraction-HIDA scan

HELP NEEDED! For the past 3 plus months I have had upper right quadrant pain, pressure, and nausea. My internist performed the standard tests: ultrasound, CT, and HIDA scan. The HIDA showed an elevated ejection fraction which after doing research this is not widely recognized as being an issue. I found others who posted with the same symptoms and elevated ejection fraction, once the GB was removed, no more symptoms. There is also a study by Dr. Holes-Lewis indicating that elevated EF can cause the symptoms and removal of GB is effective. My internest referred me to a general surgeon, she thought gallbladder removal would solve the problem because the tests can be negative and you still have GB issues. The surgeons reviewed my results and said that because the tests were all "normal", I needed to see a GI. The GI looked at all my diagnostic test results and said my gallbladder was normal because the ER was over35%. He prescribed an antispasmodic (Bentyl) and said I could have an endoscopic ultrasound if the med doesn't work (isn't so far). I already have motility issues and Bentyl is bound to just make that worse. I NEED to find a GI or surgeon that will listen to me. I am in Wisconsin. Anyone have any ideas on who I could see or what I can do to educate these docs? Anyone have any medical journal articles? They are not very receptive to "lay man" articles. Anyone know of ANYTHING that could provide any relief? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
    Collector167
    (male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
    Re: Elevated ejection fraction-HIDA scan

How high was your ejection rate? You are correct that a very high ejection rate can cause problems and that the easiest way to resolve them is to remove the gallbladder. However, just as with low ejection rate and gallbladder removal there is no 100% guarantee that it resolves all issues.

A second opinion from another GI doc is appropriate. Some GI docs including my own, have an attitude about avoiding sending patients to the surgeon. In my case this was a good thing.

While you certainly want to read up a be prepared for any consultation, be a little careful about thinking that articles regardless of where they are from will sway a doctor. Remember there are frequently conflicting studies in medicine and so the doctor is frequently guided by his/her experience.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
    azutz5612
    (female)

azutz5612 HB User

Thank you so much for the rapid reply. My EF was 85%. I typically do not bring medical literature with me to see physicians but I would consider it in this situation because seems as though most docs have never even heard of an elevate EF being a problem. I am hoping to find a nonsurgical way to relieve these symptoms but I've have only found information that indicates removing the GB resolves the symptoms.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
    Collector167
    (male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

The normal reference range for a HIDA scan with cck, shows an ejection rate of 35 and 75 percent. Yours is on the high side, others on this board have reported rates as high as 95%. It is unclear how common this problem is.

There is one small study on the internet (we're not allowed to show links on this site) that says that PPI's (proton pump inhibitors), such as Prilosec, Nexium, etc, can inhibit the motility (contraction) of the gallbladder. For most of us slowing down the strength of gallbladder contractions is a bad thing, for you it might be a good thing.

This is not meant as medical advice and I don't know if there have been followup studies or not. The best short term advice would be to eat fat free so that the gallbladder isn't required to contract and empty.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
    MarieLudwig
    (female)

MarieLudwig HB User

I also had a Hida scan with cck, ef was 86% , bad cramping when the cck was injected.. My issue is this, I still have the urq pain but they tell me my scan was normal. Now I read on hear that normal ranges are about 35-75%, the radiologist where I had my hida scan said NORMAL ,so my DR said Normal,
    I called my DR back and said I understand you say the test said normal, well I feel far from normal, may I at least have something for my pain? I get a call back with a presciption and a appt to see a surgeon this coming friday. So what do you think? is it Normal? how can itt be normal when I am in pain? I dont have the nausea but i do have bad cramping like pain not all the time but enough to make me afraid to eat , Im losing weight because it, that could be a good thing I am alil on the chunky side, anyway anny thoughts out there before this coming friday, tot help me from thinking I am a hypokrondriake(spelt wrong)..

I have have US (NORMAL) AND A ABDOMEN CT (NORMAL)

I AM WORE OUT

any takers?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
    darisa
    (female)

darisa HB User

Just last month I had a Hida scan EF of 96%. In 2007 it was 32%. Back then the Dr. said it was low but not low enough to have surgery. Now that it's high all is well. I asked my new GI dr how could it shoot so high, so she talked with the person who interprets the report and he told her that they use a new scale. But it still doesn't explain why it went from low to high.

Closed Thread