It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• 'Skin crawling' abdomen pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
    qazbeck
    (male)

qazbeck HB User
    'Skin crawling' abdomen pain

Here's what's happening (more after lists)...

Symptoms:
    • - started approx late Feb / early March
    • - severe constipation for first 2-3 weeks
    • - bowel movements eased, but still erratic, sometimes 2-3/day, sometimes 2-3 days in-between ("normal" for me is 1/day almost like clockwork)
    • - bowel movements, while better in a relative sense, still don't 'feel' right
    • - pain/sensitivity/cramping around navel area, on both sides
    • - sharp pains in two places on left side, upper and lower (last two weeks only, and not constant)
    • - feelings of bloatedness seemingly without actual bloating
    • - none of the pain/sensitivity/bloated feelings is 100% constant, seems to come and go, but recently getting more common
    • - all pain/sensitivity feels at or near the surface, not deep
    • - shirts seem to irritate sensitivity even more, almost like the hair on my stomach is being "rubbed wrong", along with a 'skin crawling' feeling
    • - low stamina, always tired/sleepy
    • - have read about IBS, but hard for me to say

Non-symptoms:
    • - no diahrea (to speak of)
    • - no vomiting
    • - no fever
    • - no nausea
    • - no blood in stool

Other issues, may or may not be related:
    • - scar tissue has formed in abdomen area from insulin injections (somewhat long-term issue)
    • - due to scar tissue, haven't been taking insulin as much as I should
    • - blood sugar #s have been erratic, sometimes good, sometimes very high, but now back to upper range of good
    • - stress had been high, taking 6 courses at college while working FT, but finished a couple days ago
    • - started new job in December, and I have a tendency to "crowd" my desk by leaning into it, which I originally thought was causing bruising, but I have pretty much solved that, so I'm not sure that's it anymore.

My PCP thinks it's related to the scarring and insulin injections, a break down of the tissue, etc.

I have seen a Gastroenterologist, and have a CT scan set for 4 days from now. If nothing shoes, then he will schedule a colonoscopy. He seems completely baffled, though.

Based on many threads of similar symptoms that I have read, especially the shirt sensitivity part, there seems to be a lot of empathy, but no one seems to ever get a solid answer regarding diagnosis or treatment.

Thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
    Terlin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Terlin HB User
    Angry Re: 'Skin crawling' abdomen pain

Quote:
    Originally Posted by qazbeck View Post
    Here's what's happening (more after lists)...

Symptoms:
    • - started approx late Feb / early March
    • - severe constipation for first 2-3 weeks
    • - bowel movements eased, but still erratic, sometimes 2-3/day, sometimes 2-3 days in-between ("normal" for me is 1/day almost like clockwork)
    • - bowel movements, while better in a relative sense, still don't 'feel' right
    • - pain/sensitivity/cramping around navel area, on both sides
    • - sharp pains in two places on left side, upper and lower (last two weeks only, and not constant)
    • - feelings of bloatedness seemingly without actual bloating
    • - none of the pain/sensitivity/bloated feelings is 100% constant, seems to come and go, but recently getting more common
    • - all pain/sensitivity feels at or near the surface, not deep
    • - shirts seem to irritate sensitivity even more, almost like the hair on my stomach is being "rubbed wrong", along with a 'skin crawling' feeling
    • - low stamina, always tired/sleepy
    • - have read about IBS, but hard for me to say

Non-symptoms:
    • - no diahrea (to speak of)
    • - no vomiting
    • - no fever
    • - no nausea
    • - no blood in stool

Other issues, may or may not be related:
    • - scar tissue has formed in abdomen area from insulin injections (somewhat long-term issue)
    • - due to scar tissue, haven't been taking insulin as much as I should
    • - blood sugar #s have been erratic, sometimes good, sometimes very high, but now back to upper range of good
    • - stress had been high, taking 6 courses at college while working FT, but finished a couple days ago
    • - started new job in December, and I have a tendency to "crowd" my desk by leaning into it, which I originally thought was causing bruising, but I have pretty much solved that, so I'm not sure that's it anymore.

My PCP thinks it's related to the scarring and insulin injections, a break down of the tissue, etc.

I have seen a Gastroenterologist, and have a CT scan set for 4 days from now. If nothing shoes, then he will schedule a colonoscopy. He seems completely baffled, though.

Based on many threads of similar symptoms that I have read, especially the shirt sensitivity part, there seems to be a lot of empathy, but no one seems to ever get a solid answer regarding diagnosis or treatment.

Thoughts?
    I have that skin crawling and feeling bloated, I don't have an urge to go I have to strain to get some out. And I'm backed up. Do you have shortness of breath or short rapid breating like your guy is restraining you? I also have spasming. And I seem to have difficulty swallowing.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
    qazbeck
    (male)

qazbeck HB User
    Re: 'Skin crawling' abdomen pain

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Terlin View Post
    I have that skin crawling and feeling bloated, I don't have an urge to go I have to strain to get some out. And I'm backed up. Do you have shortness of breath or short rapid breating like your guy is restraining you? I also have spasming. And I seem to have difficulty swallowing.
    I don't have shortness of breath in the sense that I feel like I'm laboring to breathe, but I do get short of breath easily at minimal exertion. I had attributed that to being out of shape, though. I have had a couple short (1-2 minute) episodes of difficult breathing during this, but only a couple times and I didn't think much about them.

Could you explain your spasming?

I'm swallowing fine, and my appetite is fine... well maybe not as hungry as I normally am, but I tend to overeat so I think it's down to what should be normal. I'm still eating the same foods I always have.

Ya know, I could function normally with the sharp pain on the left, and with the irregular BMs, but it's the skin crawling/sensitivity that brings me down the most. I'm afraid to move, lest my shirt rub and cause more pain.

For the last several days I have been rubbing cortizone lotion on my abdomen before I get dressed, and it helps for a few hours. It also helps if I tuck my shirt into my pants tight so it's not loosely brushing up against my skin. But, these measures only help in a limited sense and for a limited time. They do not solve anything.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
    Terlin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Terlin HB User
    Unhappy Re: 'Skin crawling' abdomen pain

Quote:
    Originally Posted by qazbeck View Post
    I don't have shortness of breath in the sense that I feel like I'm laboring to breathe, but I do get short of breath easily at minimal exertion. I had attributed that to being out of shape, though. I have had a couple short (1-2 minute) episodes of difficult breathing during this, but only a couple times and I didn't think much about them.

Could you explain your spasming?

I'm swallowing fine, and my appetite is fine... well maybe not as hungry as I normally am, but I tend to overeat so I think it's down to what should be normal. I'm still eating the same foods I always have.

Ya know, I could function normally with the sharp pain on the left, and with the irregular BMs, but it's the skin crawling/sensitivity that brings me down the most. I'm afraid to move, lest my shirt rub and cause more pain.

For the last several days I have been rubbing cortizone lotion on my abdomen before I get dressed, and it helps for a few hours. It also helps if I tuck my shirt into my pants tight so it's not loosely brushing up against my skin. But, these measures only help in a limited sense and for a limited time. They do not solve anything.
    I don't know if it's gas or what but I can feel my colon bulge up then down. I'm so full it seems to push up into my diaphram.

Closed Thread