It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Unresolved Gastrointestinal Issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
    blkhwksfan
    (male)

blkhwksfan HB User
    Unresolved Gastrointestinal Issues

I am new to these boards and I am hoping that I can find some information as to what I have been experiencing recently.

For the past several years, I have been experiencing acid reflux, especially during the evening. After having some recent trouble, I went to see my GI and he performed an upper endoscopy. Other than some minor irritation in my esophagus and a mild hiatus hernia, there was nothing found. No ulcers and all biopsies came back normal. That was good news and I was recommended to continue taking antacids as required and watch certain foods and drinks.

A few weeks later I had dinner like normal and after I felt like the food was just sitting like a rock in my stomach. A couple hours later everything went downhill. I started having waves of nausea, chills, sweating, headache, upper abdominal pain just below the ribs. I called my GI the next day and he said I could have a stomach virus but I had no vomiting, fever or diarrhea. He immediately asked if I had ever had any gallbladder issues. Of course I had not had any previously.

I spent the next 2 weeks having an ultrasound, CT scan with both barium and iodine and also a HIDA scan. Everything came back normal and according to the tests, I was healthy. The HIDA scan showed my ejection fraction at 73% which is higher than the normal range but still better than being too low. The ultrasound and CT showed no gallstones or sludge either. So after the HIDA scan, I informed my GI that the symptoms I had been having for weeks were replicated by the CCK injection. When I told him that, he had me go to a surgeon for a consult.

Speaking with the surgeon, he told me he has no conclusive evidence that my gallbladder is the problem and that it would be my decision to have it removed but there is no guarantee that my symptoms would go away. I am unsure if I want to go through a surgery that may not fix my issues but I need to do something.

Over the last 4 weeks, I have been on a low fat diet and even though it has helped the symptoms, they are not gone and now the last three days have been annoying to say the least. I have the constant feeling of being full whether I eat or not. With that comes a burning sensation in the upper abdomen, the feeling of gas and bloating with minor abdominal pain along with an occasional wave of nausea. I have now lost almost 30 pounds in these last 4 weeks, which is great as I needed to lose some weight. I have made another appointment with my GI in 2 weeks but I am not sure I am going to make it that long.

I am thinking about having blood tests done for Celiac, diabetes, thyroid and a cancer screening even though nothing showed up on any of the tests. I am trying to see if there is anything else I may want to have them look for at the same time. I may be missing some of my symptoms because everything seems to be blended together. Part of me is starting to think it is all in my head because they cannot find anything but I know I am not myself and I want to get better.

Please feel free to share your information or similar experiences.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
    Re: Unresolved Gastrointestinal Issues

One possibility may be your stomach may not be digesting food properly. There is a condition called gastroparesis which literally means paralysis of the stomach in which the muscles of the stomach do not work properly in the duodenum to send your chime through the small intestine. A side effect of this condition is weight loss which you have experienced. Losing 30 pounds in such short of time is not really a good thing as one should be concerned if he is getting the proper nutrition. This is not a common condition as many doctors do not have it on their radar screen but there is a test to detect this condition. Hope it all works out for you.......

The Following User Says Thank You to lenvegas For This Useful Post:
    blkhwksfan (05-22-2013)
    Old 05-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
    blkhwksfan
    (male)

blkhwksfan HB User

lenvegas,

I was actually thinking about gastroparesis and I am going to mention that to my GI when I see him next week. I am just lost at whatever is plaguing me as I just want to feel better soon. The weight loss is not that big of a concern for me as I was around 255 pounds before this started and as of today, I am just about 225. I have leveled off in the last couple of days so my body is not just dropping a pound a day anymore.

I also noticed that when I am hungry now, I have an extreme hunger feeling and if I don't eat something I start to get tired quickly but then starts the cycle over again. So it is really a never-ending battle.

Thanks again for your feedback and if you think of anything else, please feel free to share.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

I wonder if I have this condition too.

I have had a gastric emptying scan done which showed I do process slowly through my digestive tract. I have had an endo done which showed a small hiatus hernia.
    But I suffer daily from heartburn, nausea, mostly constipation, sometimes diarroreah. Bloating too.

I have always thought it was weight related as I am now 15 stone which is too heavy. But its a hard battle trying to lose weight to alleviate this.

Im so fed up with feeling horrible in my stomach, its really gets me down.

Seeing my gastro Doctor on Monday , he never really says anything, I think they are at a loss really. Any suggestions on what I can ask him?

Old 07-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
    blkhwksfan
    (male)

blkhwksfan HB User

Worrybucket,

Sorry for not getting back sooner. As of this post I have not had complete resolution to my issues. Since my past post, I have had a gastric emptying scan as well as blood work done. The blood work performed was a full CBC, metabolic panel and a thyroid panel as well. The emptying test and the blood work came back absolutely normal. I look at this as good news even though I have not found out the issues.

I have been back to see my GI and he has put me on Dexilant to see if I have excessive stomach acid and that is causing the nausea. I have to go see him again in a week or two for a follow up to see if this is working for me. So far I am almost 2 weeks in and there really isn't a change. I have some good/great days and I have some bad days. The good thing is that it is not happening every day like it was a few months ago. I am eating healthier and I have now lost around 45 pounds. I am more active and I feel physically better than I have in years.

I have also been back to see my GP to go over some things with her and in our discussion the topic of stress and anxiety came up and she gave me some meds to help relax. These are especially helpful when my mind keeps going and I cannot fall asleep. I am also in the process of getting set up with a psychologist to better be able to deal with stress and find the cause and my triggers for my anxiety. I would have never though of myself as an anxious person but I have noticed that when I am active and my mind doesn't have time to think about things other than the activity I am doing. Unfortunately, I can't be active 24 hours a day and my mind gets the time to wander.

Hope you find resolution to your issue and if something comes up for me, I will surely post the findings on here.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
    blkhwksfan
    (male)

blkhwksfan HB User

Worrybucket,

Sorry for not getting back sooner. As of this post I have not had complete resolution to my issues. Since my past post, I have had a gastric emptying scan as well as blood work done. The blood work performed was a full CBC, metabolic panel and a thyroid panel as well. The emptying test and the blood work came back absolutely normal. I look at this as good news even though I have not found out the issues.

I have been back to see my GI and he has put me on Dexilant to see if I have excessive stomach acid and that is causing the nausea. I have to go see him again in a week or two for a follow up to see if this is working for me. So far I am almost 2 weeks in and there really isn't a change. I have some good/great days and I have some bad days. The good thing is that it is not happening every day like it was a few months ago. I am eating healthier and I have now lost around 45 pounds. I am more active and I feel physically better than I have in years.

I have also been back to see my GP to go over some things with her and in our discussion the topic of stress and anxiety came up and she gave me some meds to help relax. These are especially helpful when my mind keeps going and I cannot fall asleep. I am also in the process of getting set up with a psychologist to better be able to deal with stress and find the cause and my triggers for my anxiety. I would have never though of myself as an anxious person but I have noticed that when I am active and my mind doesn't have time to think about things other than the activity I am doing. Unfortunately, I can't be active 24 hours a day and my mind gets the time to wander.

Hope you find resolution to your issue and if something comes up for me, I will surely post the findings on here.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
    kb92
    (female)

kb92 HB User

Hi I am also having issues, I came down with a stomach bug 3 weeks ago had a lot of vomiting which stopped 48 hours later. However, I still get bouts of nausea and I am unable to eat a lot. I have done a lot of research on post viral GP and I think this could definitely be a possibility. Unfortunately, I am in the early stages of testing, my bloods and stool sample came back fine so it's not an infection. Getting scared after reading some horror stories on the internet about gastroparesis.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
    cmansker
    (male)

cmansker HB User
    Unhappy Re: Unresolved Gastrointestinal Issues

I've been having similar issues for the last 3 months. It's getting better and I don't have the symptoms every day but when I do I literally cannot leave my bed. I've had countless blood tests, stool tests and everything was normal. I had an upper GI with a biopsy to test for celiac and that came back negative. I've been a scheduled to have an ultrasound and gastric emptying test and I really hope something is found to resolve the issue. I want to be normal again. I want my life back. I'm tried of sporadically feeling nauseated. I've been taking Prilosec daily, carafate when my stomach is acid or upset. I've also been taking promethazine for nausea as needed. I've been eating 6 small meals a day and I've been eating a balanced, low fat, and even gluten free diet. It has seem to be helping but it's not resolved. I've also recently developed a new symptom that appears sometimes that feel like I've swallowed a bag of halls because the back of my throat feels cool and I'll feel the same symptom in my abdomen for hours.

I don't know what's going on with me but I want my life back. I hope we l find solutions.

I also apologize for spelling errors and what not since I'm posting this from my phone.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
    kb92
    (female)

kb92 HB User
    Wink Re: Unresolved Gastrointestinal Issues

Cmansker, did you ever get a diagnosis?

Closed Thread

Tags
    abdominal issues, gallbladder, hida scan, indigestion, nausea