It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Peas and bile?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
    harperb
    (female)

harperb HB User
    Peas and bile?

I was diagnosed with GERD last year but am convinced I also have bile reflux. Had a HIDA scan last year - scored 39. I had a Bravo pH study done and was positive for acid reflux; however, by closely monitoring the pH when I ate fatty foods or drank coffee (things that stimulate bile), I noticed the pH went up close to 10 at times. My doctor has continued to ignore my queries about bile and prescribes me ppi after ppi - none of which have solved the problem.

So, this afternoon I just ate some dried peas as a snack and almost immediately afterward my throat started burning, I had terrible heartburn, and I had some burning/fullness under my sternum (right and left side). There's no way peas should cause acid reflux, should they? But I heard they can stimulate bile. Does anyone know if this is true?

I also had an "attack" after eating a big spinach salad a few weeks ago, and I know spinach is a no-no if you've got gallbladder probs. But peas? These seem to be on all the "safe lists"...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
    Stretch1one
    Veteran
    (male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
    You may also have food intolerances or food allergies along with Gerds

Old 08-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
    harperb
    (female)

harperb HB User
    Re: Peas and bile?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stretch1one View Post
    You may also have food intolerances or food allergies along with Gerds
    Could be a new intolerance (I never had a problem with peas or spinach before), but I had an endoscopy in May and the biopsy of my duodenum (which was inflamed) was normal. It's my understanding if it were food allergies, that would have been detected from the tissue biopsy.

Tough to sort out what's going on as I am normal weight, get exercise, virtually never eat fried or processed foods and cut out gluten and dairy long before these symptoms arose. My main concern is that if I've got bile reflux too, I need to address it because I know that can do some serious damage to the stomach and esophagus.

Closed Thread

Tags
    acid, bile, reflux