It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Digestive Disorders Message Board

  • Severe nausea, all tests normal

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 10-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
    Amira
    Member
    (female)
     
    Amira's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Dallas, TX
    Posts: 65
    Amira HB User
    Severe nausea, all tests normal

    Since December I have been suffering from horrible nausea. In February I finally went to the ER and they diagnosed me with h pylori. I did the triple therapy, lost about 15 pounds and two weeks after the antibiotics I was better; not back to my normal self but I was able to go to work and gain my weight back. That lasted for about 4 months and now it's happening again, I had to quit both jobs and move back in with my parents because I literally can't function. I've lost almost 30 pounds because I can only eat once a day. Two weeks ago I couldn't eat for 4 days! I've done every test I can think of and they're all normal, so at least I have nothing serious but I don't know how much more my body can take.

    Main symptoms: SEVERE nausea, lots of burping, acid/indigestion, dizziness/faint feeling, and lately my body aches like I have a cold.

    Tests: TONS of bloodwork, Ultrasounds, HIDA scan, CT scan, Endoscopy
    Right now I'm waiting on results for food allergies, Lupus, Lymes Disease, parasites/bacteria/amoeba, vitamin deficiencies..

    Zofran and Phenergan no longer help me, they worked only a few days. They put me on a low dose of Elavil which also didn't help. Currently trying Reglan but I'm very scared of the side effects. I've cut out caffeine and spicy foods because those are the only two things I've noticed that make it worse.

    I'm open to ANY suggestions, I just need help.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 10-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    ladybud's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Location: Colorado
    Posts: 6,123
    ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Severe nausea, all tests normal

    This seems like a no-brainer, but are you on ulcer meds like a proton pump inhibitor and/or histamine 2 blocker? With your history of H Pylori, this could be caused by excess acid production in stomach, and those meds reduce acid production. Since it is weekend, I would try omeprazole (Prilosec) plus ranitidine (Zantec) both over the counter, generics ok, on a regular basis twice a day, and take a liquid antacid as needed in between like extra strength maalox. Ulcer symptoms tend to recur in spring and fall, so this is the season for flare ups. I'll bet that will help.

     
    Old 10-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
    Amira
    Member
    (female)
     
    Amira's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Dallas, TX
    Posts: 65
    Amira HB User
    Re: Severe nausea, all tests normal

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    This seems like a no-brainer, but are you on ulcer meds like a proton pump inhibitor and/or histamine 2 blocker? With your history of H Pylori, this could be caused by excess acid production in stomach, and those meds reduce acid production. Since it is weekend, I would try omeprazole (Prilosec) plus ranitidine (Zantec) both over the counter, generics ok, on a regular basis twice a day, and take a liquid antacid as needed in between like extra strength maalox. Ulcer symptoms tend to recur in spring and fall, so this is the season for flare ups. I'll bet that will help.
    I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I've also been taking Prilosec and Zantac for about 10 months now. They even tried prescription strength. It seems like the most logical explanation but unfortunately has only helped the heartburn occasionally. I could live with that, but the nausea is terrible.

     
    Old 10-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: Chester, VA
    Posts: 2,200
    noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
    Re: Severe nausea, all tests normal

    Hi I'm with you on this! Except I've been dealing with it for over a year! I've had all the tests too plus some but they never found anything. But accidentally by going to the dentist and he prescribing me some meds hoping to calm thing down to work on me I've found a band aid to the problem. Between my dentist and my pain dr they worked together and ny pain dr switched my pain meds around (I also have back, shoulder and fibromyalgia) and I take 50 mg of demoral, 1 mg, xanax, and 59 phenergan once every other day and it takes it away!

    But, I do get a bad headache sometimes and resl sleepy the day I take but I'm not nsuseous.

    Still going forwsrd looking for the problem though. Cathy

     
    Old 10-28-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    ladybud's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Location: Colorado
    Posts: 6,123
    ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Severe nausea, all tests normal

    Amira, please do let us known what your test results reveal when you get them. Is the nausea and dizziness associated with movement at all? Inner ear disorders can cause terrible nausea and vertigo (spinning type dizziness) especially with movement and is treated/diagnosed completely differently than gastric causes.

     
    Old 10-28-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
    Amira
    Member
    (female)
     
    Amira's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Dallas, TX
    Posts: 65
    Amira HB User
    Re: Severe nausea, all tests normal

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noevr View Post
    Hi I'm with you on this! Except I've been dealing with it for over a year! I've had all the tests too plus some but they never found anything. But accidentally by going to the dentist and he prescribing me some meds hoping to calm thing down to work on me I've found a band aid to the problem. Between my dentist and my pain dr they worked together and ny pain dr switched my pain meds around (I also have back, shoulder and fibromyalgia) and I take 50 mg of demoral, 1 mg, xanax, and 59 phenergan once every other day and it takes it away!

    But, I do get a bad headache sometimes and resl sleepy the day I take but I'm not nsuseous.

    Still going forwsrd looking for the problem though. Cathy

    I had a friend give me some Xanax to see if it would help, and I'd feel better some and other times it didn't help at all. I'd love to ask my doctor about it but then it'll put the idea in his head that this is just anxiety. This has made me a nervous person and now I have panic attacks, but it came after getting sick so I know I'm not crazy lol

     
    Old 10-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #7
    Amira
    Member
    (female)
     
    Amira's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Dallas, TX
    Posts: 65
    Amira HB User
    Re: Severe nausea, all tests normal

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    Amira, please do let us known what your test results reveal when you get them. Is the nausea and dizziness associated with movement at all? Inner ear disorders can cause terrible nausea and vertigo (spinning type dizziness) especially with movement and is treated/diagnosed completely differently than gastric causes.
    All my tests came back fine, I was kind of hoping for a food allergy because then at least I'd know how to manage it. I went to an ear doctor and he said he didn't think it was an inner ear disorder but suggested I get an MRI just to make sure. I've tried twice but my claustrophobia got the best of me and I had to crawl out of the machine after only 30 seconds and they unfortunately didn't have the anesthesia injection. I started taking digestive enzymes and a different type of Reglan that's not approved in the US yet because it's new and I seem to be having less nausea attacks. Fingers crossed because it's nice feeling almost normal!

     
    Old 10-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: Chester, VA
    Posts: 2,200
    noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
    Re: Severe nausea, all tests normal

    Hi, does this new reglan have a new name? And on the mri we have open sided mris here for that or they could sedate you with oral meds before you go. So glad you feel good! Please keep us informed don't forget us who are suffering! Cathy

     
    Old 10-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
    Amira
    Member
    (female)
     
    Amira's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Dallas, TX
    Posts: 65
    Amira HB User
    Re: Severe nausea, all tests normal

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noevr View Post
    Hi, does this new reglan have a new name? And on the mri we have open sided mris here for that or they could sedate you with oral meds before you go. So glad you feel good! Please keep us informed don't forget us who are suffering! Cathy
    The motility medication they gave me is called Ganaton, but it made my stomach feel weird. Also it doesn't help with the nausea so they switched me to Motilium so I'll let you know if it helps! I completely understand, doctors are out of tests to run so I still don't have a diagnosis. Just trying different medications and diets. Honestly I think a bland diet has helped me the most, occasionally I slip up and I suffer for days so you have to be strict with yourself. Also caffeine is a huge trigger for me, so if you haven't given that up I would try it!

     
    Closed Thread

    Tags
    aches, acid, burping, dizzy, nausea



    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04 AM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!