It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Stomach feels Broken (Cry for help)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
    AndyWizard
    (male)

AndyWizard HB User
    Stomach feels Broken (Cry for help)

Hello everyone,

I have quite a story, so I do apologize in advance for this being a VERY long post, but please I would very much appreciate someone to read it all and to perhaps lend me some kind words of reassurance or offer some advice.

Over the last 4 months my stomach has fallen out with me & I feel like I am in Hell right now. I have been up and down mentally as well as physically with this. I've been to my doctor's office about 5 times since late August, but I'll go into detail about all that.

I should maybe give some background about myself before I start off. I'm 22yr old guy. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis October 2012 after suffering from the symptoms for a couple of years. Since the diagnosis I have not drank alcohol at all. Even before the diagnosis I was not much of a drinker. I have smoked about 3 cigarettes my whole life. My diet has always been quite bland, I'm not too adventurous with food, I'm a bit fussy. I have always hated spicy food. Apart from the Ulcerative Colitis I am usually quite healthy.

Here goes.

It was the end of the summer and I ended up being under a bit of stress. Now in my past I have experienced issues with not eating due to stress. My mum tells me that there was a period of my life when I was about 12 where I just didn't eat properly. I was a little bit of a Hypochondriac in school following a rather traumatic episode of vomiting that I unfortunately fell victim to.

I grew out of it, I don't know how but I did. I just grew out of it. But since that time I developed emetophobia, the fear of vomiting. This has stuck with me ever since school. I have been pretty good with it for the last few years, it was virtually gone when I was at college, but recently it's come back in full swing due to this stomach issue (that i'm aware i have not adressed yet i apologize).

My stomach is starting to ruin my life. I started to get stressed and have mini panic attacks for no reason in the last couple of weeks in August. These escalated rather worryingly and before I knew it I was missing meals and worrying about everything. I would go to bed at night and wake up after about half an hour and my heart would be racing and I would just be panicking.

I started to feel so hungry that I felt sick. And due to my emetophobia I was almost afraid to eat in case I was sick. I was struggling to make myself eat, I remember a really low point where I struggled to eat a piece of dry toast. But of course through not eating I was making myself feel sick anyway.

I went to my doctor after about a week of feeling sickly like this. She had a feel of my abdomen after listening to what I had to say. Her diagnosis was that because of all my stress I had given myself something called Gastritis; inflammation of the stomach. And so I was prescribed a month's worth of tablets called Lansoprazole. I was also told to try and get control of the stress in my life and to try and eat little and often to get back to normal.

So I had those tablets for the whole of September. I made a little progress with eating, but my stress levels continued to roller coaster. After the month of Lansoprazole I went back to my doctor who booked me in for blood tests. They checked me for 30+ things apparently and everything looked good. That reassured me somewhat but I still felt bad.

It's been over a month since I stopped taking those tablets. My stomach feels somewhat broken. In the weeks immediately following the lansoprazole I started to feel pains in my upper abdomen and in my chest, as if I had trapped wind there, but they seem to have mostly gone now. My chest hasn't hurt for a while now, but my stomach will occasionally hurt.

These last few weeks I have eaten more or less like my normal self, which is good. However my stomach has often felt quite heavy, like I've swallowed a dead weight. It doesn't seem to be there if I just sit down and do nothing for a while, but rather if I get up and am active for a little while it seems to be there.

Also and this is a really annoying one. My stomach doesn't seem to growl anymore. Like when I feel hungry, instead of my stomach gurgling at me to say "eat something!" it will just feel quite horrible and empty as if there's a bit of pressure in my upper abdomen. The only pattern I've noticed throughout this is that if I don't eat I will feel HORRIBLE. Also it feels as though most of the time I need to burp as if that would relieve the feeling of heaviness in my upper abdomen, but I'm not burping as much as I think I used to.

This last week I went back to my doctor. I had started panicking about the idea of stomach ulcers and stomach cancer. And I mean I was REALLY starting to panic.

The doctor said that he doesn't think I have stomach cancer, and according to my symptoms and blood test results there is no indication that I have an ulcer. ...But I can't shake the anxiety about it. I have actually been reffered to for counselling I have my first session this friday, which I'm actually looking forward to. My doctor prescribed me with some tablets to maybe help with the heaviness in my upper abdomen.

I was given Colofac, medication usually given to people with IBS, which I don't think I have. I've been on those for about 6 days now & I'm not sure anything's happening yet. However my stomach hasn't felt that heavy recently, which is good. I have to keep telling myself what my doctor has told me, I know it's unlikely that I have cancer. I'm only 22, I dont drink alcohol, my diet has always been ok, and the only cancer in my family was my dear grandad who got lung cancer after smoking for most of his life.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with me..? I have worried about stomach ulcers, stomach cancer, Gallbladder problems, Gastric emptying trouble, H. Pylori (whatever that is), the onset of Gastroparesis perhaps? I would really like if someone would give me some advice.

I haven't vomited throughout this entire episode, not once. Also I haven't felt nauseous for a good 3/4 weeks now. I sometimes get bouts of it but its not all the time like it was in September. I realize I have rambled on & I'm sorry, I'm just at my wits end. I haven't felt like myself for about 3 months.

I miss not feeling so concious about eating, I used to do it for fun and now I get nervous about how this next sandwich is going to make me feel. I got so stressed when I realized I had lost weight. Logically losing weight was due to how little I was eating throughout September.

Does it sound like anything serious? Has my anxiety finally won? I've had a hard time accepting that the mind can affect the body THIS much, could this really all be the result of a bad episode of prolonged anxiety..?

I really do apologize for the essay I have wrote here, I think I must have repeated myself once or twice, I'm just so tired of feeling a little "off". I seem to go about 4/5 days staying relatively calm and almost positive, but then the fear of what could possibly be wrong with me creeps back into my mind.

If anyone has actually read all of this I thank you & I would appreciate some kind words of encouragement or some general advice maybe

Thanks,
    Andy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
    Wink Re: Stomach feels Broken (Cry for help)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndyWizard View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have quite a story, so I do apologize in advance for this being a VERY long post, but please I would very much appreciate someone to read it all and to perhaps lend me some kind words of reassurance or offer some advice.

Over the last 4 months my stomach has fallen out with me & I feel like I am in Hell right now. I have been up and down mentally as well as physically with this. I've been to my doctor's office about 5 times since late August, but I'll go into detail about all that.

I should maybe give some background about myself before I start off. I'm 22yr old guy. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis October 2012 after suffering from the symptoms for a couple of years. Since the diagnosis I have not drank alcohol at all. Even before the diagnosis I was not much of a drinker. I have smoked about 3 cigarettes my whole life. My diet has always been quite bland, I'm not too adventurous with food, I'm a bit fussy. I have always hated spicy food. Apart from the Ulcerative Colitis I am usually quite healthy.

Here goes.

It was the end of the summer and I ended up being under a bit of stress. Now in my past I have experienced issues with not eating due to stress. My mum tells me that there was a period of my life when I was about 12 where I just didn't eat properly. I was a little bit of a Hypochondriac in school following a rather traumatic episode of vomiting that I unfortunately fell victim to.

I grew out of it, I don't know how but I did. I just grew out of it. But since that time I developed emetophobia, the fear of vomiting. This has stuck with me ever since school. I have been pretty good with it for the last few years, it was virtually gone when I was at college, but recently it's come back in full swing due to this stomach issue (that i'm aware i have not adressed yet i apologize).

My stomach is starting to ruin my life. I started to get stressed and have mini panic attacks for no reason in the last couple of weeks in August. These escalated rather worryingly and before I knew it I was missing meals and worrying about everything. I would go to bed at night and wake up after about half an hour and my heart would be racing and I would just be panicking.

I started to feel so hungry that I felt sick. And due to my emetophobia I was almost afraid to eat in case I was sick. I was struggling to make myself eat, I remember a really low point where I struggled to eat a piece of dry toast. But of course through not eating I was making myself feel sick anyway.

I went to my doctor after about a week of feeling sickly like this. She had a feel of my abdomen after listening to what I had to say. Her diagnosis was that because of all my stress I had given myself something called Gastritis; inflammation of the stomach. And so I was prescribed a month's worth of tablets called Lansoprazole. I was also told to try and get control of the stress in my life and to try and eat little and often to get back to normal.

So I had those tablets for the whole of September. I made a little progress with eating, but my stress levels continued to roller coaster. After the month of Lansoprazole I went back to my doctor who booked me in for blood tests. They checked me for 30+ things apparently and everything looked good. That reassured me somewhat but I still felt bad.

It's been over a month since I stopped taking those tablets. My stomach feels somewhat broken. In the weeks immediately following the lansoprazole I started to feel pains in my upper abdomen and in my chest, as if I had trapped wind there, but they seem to have mostly gone now. My chest hasn't hurt for a while now, but my stomach will occasionally hurt.

These last few weeks I have eaten more or less like my normal self, which is good. However my stomach has often felt quite heavy, like I've swallowed a dead weight. It doesn't seem to be there if I just sit down and do nothing for a while, but rather if I get up and am active for a little while it seems to be there.

Also and this is a really annoying one. My stomach doesn't seem to growl anymore. Like when I feel hungry, instead of my stomach gurgling at me to say "eat something!" it will just feel quite horrible and empty as if there's a bit of pressure in my upper abdomen. The only pattern I've noticed throughout this is that if I don't eat I will feel HORRIBLE. Also it feels as though most of the time I need to burp as if that would relieve the feeling of heaviness in my upper abdomen, but I'm not burping as much as I think I used to.

This last week I went back to my doctor. I had started panicking about the idea of stomach ulcers and stomach cancer. And I mean I was REALLY starting to panic.

The doctor said that he doesn't think I have stomach cancer, and according to my symptoms and blood test results there is no indication that I have an ulcer. ...But I can't shake the anxiety about it. I have actually been reffered to for counselling I have my first session this friday, which I'm actually looking forward to. My doctor prescribed me with some tablets to maybe help with the heaviness in my upper abdomen.

I was given Colofac, medication usually given to people with IBS, which I don't think I have. I've been on those for about 6 days now & I'm not sure anything's happening yet. However my stomach hasn't felt that heavy recently, which is good. I have to keep telling myself what my doctor has told me, I know it's unlikely that I have cancer. I'm only 22, I dont drink alcohol, my diet has always been ok, and the only cancer in my family was my dear grandad who got lung cancer after smoking for most of his life.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with me..? I have worried about stomach ulcers, stomach cancer, Gallbladder problems, Gastric emptying trouble, H. Pylori (whatever that is), the onset of Gastroparesis perhaps? I would really like if someone would give me some advice.

I haven't vomited throughout this entire episode, not once. Also I haven't felt nauseous for a good 3/4 weeks now. I sometimes get bouts of it but its not all the time like it was in September. I realize I have rambled on & I'm sorry, I'm just at my wits end. I haven't felt like myself for about 3 months.

I miss not feeling so concious about eating, I used to do it for fun and now I get nervous about how this next sandwich is going to make me feel. I got so stressed when I realized I had lost weight. Logically losing weight was due to how little I was eating throughout September.

Does it sound like anything serious? Has my anxiety finally won? I've had a hard time accepting that the mind can affect the body THIS much, could this really all be the result of a bad episode of prolonged anxiety..?

I really do apologize for the essay I have wrote here, I think I must have repeated myself once or twice, I'm just so tired of feeling a little "off". I seem to go about 4/5 days staying relatively calm and almost positive, but then the fear of what could possibly be wrong with me creeps back into my mind.

If anyone has actually read all of this I thank you & I would appreciate some kind words of encouragement or some general advice maybe

Thanks,
    Andy
    Hi Andy, I feel bad for what you are going through. I am 35 and have been dealing with anxiety and ibs for 10 years. I have had 3 colonoscopys! I have inflammation in my stomach but was negative for uc and crohns. I truly believe that anxiety and stress can lead to a huge amout of problems and a lot of them are digestive, Just my personal experience. I deal with pain everyday. I have a hard time even looking forward to the holidays because I dont want to eat. I m sorry you are feeling so horrible. I have lost weight also, my blood test all come back normal except I am anemic. Your not alone Andy. I believe in changing diet before taking pills. I am going to try really hard to glo gluten free. Also a good probiotic can help. I take one called pb8. I get frequent feelings of trapped gas but I do have a hiatal hernia.....maybe pre ulcer for all my worrying. Try not to worry, your so young and I dont think you need to worry about cancer right now. stay well friend

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, cancer, stomach, ulcer