It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Unknown Cause of Regurgitation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
    Mict1g2
    (female)

Mict1g2 HB User
    Unhappy Unknown Cause of Regurgitation

My son is 15. He is an otherwise healthy, intelligent, active and social teenager. For the last few months 2-3 he has been having trouble swallowing his food.
    He says it feels like it gets stuck in his throat and won't go down. Like its tight and he can feel it in his throat not moving. This happens with solids and liquids. There is no particular foods that are easier or worse than others.
    When it won't go down it comes back up into his mouth. He then either reswallows or spits it out. Depending where he is at home, school or with friends.
    It's not a forceful vomit feeling just an easy burping up food feeling. The swallowed food does not have acid in it because it does not go all the way down.
    He doesn't have heartburn.
    He had a barium swallow done and they noted some lessened swallow ability further down his esophagus but nothing else.
    He then had an upper GI. The doctor said she was thinking he might have EOE. But after the upper GI and biopsies came back everything was normal.
    No answers.
    He is going for another swallow study tomorrow and he is supposed to bring two foods with him to eat dipped in barium so they can see what happens.
    He has lost almost 10 lbs.
    He seems withdrawn and depressed that this continues with no answers.
    I have him drinking Ensure type drinks to keep up and also a weight gainer.
    As a young boy he had anxiety over tornados. He has always been a very cautious child. He is somewhat shy and worries what others think of him.
    He scored very highly on IQ tests. It has been mentioned that kids like him are anxious and have anxiety. And that this could a symptom of that. I don't know.
    I don't know what to do.
    We've (halfway) tried to get him to take apple cider vinegar, but he absolutely hates it and I feel sorry because he has to retaste it.
    My MIL has suggested Licorice.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Unknown Cause of Regurgitation

It is very distressing to see your child going through problems like this. I see from your note that his test is today. Hopefully, it will shed some light on this. Some things to consider- be sure he is seeing a gastroenterologist, not just GP. A test called an esophageal manometry can be done to check for normal esophageal pressures. If he is having esophageal spasms, medication can be taken 1/2 hr before meals to prevent those. In the whole scheme of things, he should have his thyroid checked for enlargement, which can cause swallowing difficulty, but I would think this has been done already. An uncommon issue, but worth considering if no other answers are found, is an autoimmune disorder that affects the connective tissue in the esophagus. It is worth investigating if there is any family history of autoimmunity, and no other more common causes of his problem are found. It is called scleroderma. I assume since he had biopsies he has had an upper scope done. Anxiety can certainly cause esophageal spasms, and his social issues may need to be explored to see if he has developed a social phobia, which can be treated also with medication. That can become a vicious cycle that keeps people from going out for fear of regurgitating in public, and the anxiety keeps the spasms occurring. I hope you get some answers soon, and it is something that can be remedied easily. Please keep us posted on his progress.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
    Rubina
    (female)

Rubina HB User
    Re: Unknown Cause of Regurgitation

This unknown cause has now a name :

This is a very newly discovered condition called RUMINATION SYNDROME.

Unfortunately my son aged 28 has the same problem that started before 2 years.
    I can underdstand your worry and pain .
    Search google for Rumination syndrome and you will find all information about it.

Once you discover or diagnose the condition, you can further investigate or research for the cure...,, although physicians are still researching for the treatment and cure for this baby disease and still unable to find one unfortunately.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, eating disorders, regurgitation, swallowing difficulty, teenagers