It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• After colitis in May 2013 abdominal pain persists and I remain undiagnosed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
    mls05h
    (female)

mls05h HB User
    After colitis in May 2013 abdominal pain persists and I remain undiagnosed

Ok, from the beginning. One weekend in April 2013, I woke up in the middle of the night with severe lower left abdominal pain and diarrhea. I also had nausea and a fever. It went away after about 12 hours. The next week went fine. Then, one weekend later that month, I woke up early in the morning with the same symptoms: severe lower left abdominal pain and diarrhea, accompanied by nausea and low grade fever. Thinking this was a bit weird that this happened two weekends in a row, I went to a doctor. He thought I had a peptic ulcer and referred me to a GI. I ended up moving to another state before I saw the GI. About one week into my move, my symptoms started again and the intensity rapidly increased. I had extremely severe abdominal pain that never went away, accompanied by diarrhea occurring every 5-10 minutes and a fever. Towards the end of this week of hell, I also began having blood in my stool. I went to a different doctor every day that week getting different tests run and scans. Meanwhile, the abdominal pain worsened. I couldnít walk without nearly fainting from the pain. At this point I had to go to the ER and get hooked up to an IV and pain medicine. I do not mean to sound dramatic, but the pain was so bad I felt like it was a life-threatening issue. My CT scan with dye contrast showed an inflamed colon with lymph nodes present. After a stool culture revealed no bacteria, they referred me to a GI to see me immediately and he scheduled an emergency colonoscopy. My colonoscopy showed inflammation, but was inconclusive. Doctor said he could not tell if it was Crohns or Ulcerative Colitis or neither. That it didnít look completely like either. He took a biopsy - which, was again inconclusive. Long story short, he took a stab at the diagnosis and decided to treat me for mild UC. I was prescribed Apriso (NSAID for your colon essentially). Through the next year, I was fine for the most part, but I would occasionally have these major flare ups of horrible abdominal pain accompanied by diarrhea. Sometimes a fever, sometimes none. December was particularly challenging. I would always call my doctor to inform him of these flare-ups. Generally, he was not too concerned and I would take Librax and Zofran to get me straightened out. Around March of 2014, I had a really bad flare-up of extremely severe abdominal pain that made it very hard for me to walk accompanied by a 100.7 fever. The doctor wasnít sure if this was a flare-up or a stomach bug. I went to see him again and he took me off the Apriso. He said he was no longer sure I had ulcerative colitis, and he was no longer diagnosing me as such. He ran blood work for antibodies (to detect Celiac) but that came back negative. No further tests were run. Throughout my treatment he has told me not to alter my diet in any way. Since March, I have still had bouts of abdominal pain. This weekend in particular I was in bed most of the day Sunday with horrible pain and abdominal contractions accompanied by diarrhea persisting every 10 or so minutes. Luckily I still had my Librax and that seemed to alleviate my pain eventually. I am getting to the point that I donít know what to do and I am worried about bugging my doctor. I am also wondering whether I should get a second opinion. It has gotten to where I am afraid to eat and drink. I am a professional, and I am nervous about getting one of these flare-ups at the office. This fear controls my life choices it seems. Anyone out there have a similar experience or any advice as to what kind of doctor I should see or what I should tell my current GI Doc? I know something is not right and I want to know what it is and how I can stop it, whether through medication or diet. I am a 28 y/o female with no prior history of digestive disorder other than my stomach has always been sensitive and my bowels overactive my entire life. Doctor already ruled out IBS because of the abnormal results of the colonoscopy. Up until May 2013, I never had the abdominal pain like I have since. Please advise. Thanks so much in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
    parker1261
    (female)

parker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB User
    Re: After colitis in May 2013 abdominal pain persists and I remain undiagnosed

so so so sorry to hear about your issues!! it never hurts to get a second opinion....like you i've always has tummy/bowel issues even as a kid....

my GI did a 24 hour stool collection (TOTALLY FREAKING GROSS!!!!) and discovered that i had waaaaay too much fat in my stools. further tests revealed i have pancreas divisum - a birth defect - that prohibits my pancreas from making enough enzymes to properly digest food. now i take enzymes before eating a meal or snack....i still have some issues and watch my dairy and fat intake but its much better....i also have dissolve on the tongue diarrhea meds (for when you are on the run or in the car etc) that help along with meds for cramping and pain.....

keep trying.....don't give up!

Be careful when following the masses; sometimes the "M" is silent !
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mo-S4; 07-02-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
    mls05h
    (female)

mls05h HB User

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement

Old 05-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
    parker1261
    (female)

parker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB User

keep us posted okay? feel free to vent cry scream etc !

Be careful when following the masses; sometimes the "M" is silent !
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread

Tags
    chron's, digestive disorders, ibd, ulcerative colitis, ulcerative collitis/flare ups