It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Anyone recommends Pepzin GI or Now Ulcetrol?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
DarcyG
(female)

DarcyG HB UserDarcyG HB User
Anyone recommends Pepzin GI or Now Ulcetrol?

Good morning, everyone, and happy Friday eve.

I was diagnosed with Chronic gastritis and intestinal metaplasia back in June, and I have just completed a 30 day prescription of Protonix 40 mg. (my gastro didn't give me refills). I am feeling better, but still not 100%. Still feel bloated after eating, usually more often after dinner, even though I have changed my diet and haven't had any lactose, fried food or anything spicey. (no chocolate either, my favorite thing) Still feel a certain 'something' every once in a while, in my upper abdomen- underneath ribcage right in the middle. I have implemented a probiotic (Align) along with my multivitamin and have also been taking DGL Licorice before I eat. It's been like 2 weeks. I have been reading on Pepzin GI and Now Ulcetrol, and was curious if anyone has any feedback on these products? I don't feel heartburn, or acid reflux, my main symptom is upper abdominal pain and bloating after eating. Should I even be taking DGL Licorice? I was also taking digestive enzymes, but stopped after a few days of taking Align, as I wasn't sure if that was too many supplements. This is all very new to me, and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice. I would much rather take vitamins/supplements than presciption medicine if I can, but I would like to make sure I am taking the right thing that would help my symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
Lynda K
(female)

Lynda K HB User
Smile Re: Anyone recommends Pepzin GI or Now Ulcetrol?

Still feel a certain 'something' every once in a while, in my upper abdomen- underneath ribcage right in the middle.
I don't feel heartburn, or acid reflux, my main symptom is upper abdominal pain and bloating after eating.

Hi, Darcy G.....just had to respond to your post because you're the 1st person who seems to have the same symptoms I have! No "true" heartburn, just that feeling around your ribcage. I say it feels like I have a belt around the base of my ribcage and its pulled too tight. I did go the PPI route, Protonix, which really didn't do anything for me. As a matter of fact, the sensation under my ribs seemed to START with the protonix. Since then I've been trying supplements.

The reason I posted is I just received my Doctors Best (brand) Pepzin GI today. I'll let you know if I notice any difference. I also take 1 Mastic Gum each morning 1st thing, a digestive enzyme with each meal, drinking Kefir for the probiotics but may switch to a probiotic capsule. The digestive enzyme SEEMS to be alleviating some of the bloating after a meal. And no matter WHAT sized meal I have, I feel like I've eaten 2 full course meals back to back. Its miserable! OH, I also took DGL tabs, the chewables, and I can't say I've seen a difference. I wish, because all the reviews I've read rave about them.

Anyway....enough of my rambling. Just wanted you to know you're not alone! If you find anything that gets rid of that sensation under the ribs, PLEASE let me know ASAP. LOL...... take care.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
DarcyG
(female)

Re: Anyone recommends Pepzin GI or Now Ulcetrol?

Hi, Lynda. Happy Friday!

I have just been given another 30 day round of Protonix. Was still feeling that weird feeling in my upper abdomen, right in the middle of my ribcage- and the Bentyl - for pain- stopped helping. My doctor said she thinks I have Dyspsesia (she says that chronic gastritis doesn't cause any symptoms- I disagree, but every doctor seems to think so), but that another 30 days of Protonix isn't going to hurt. I also stopped the Doctors Best Pepzin GI, was taking it for a little over 2 weeks and didn't feel a difference and was just tired of all the medication/supplements. DGL Licorice did nothing for me, but I don't have heartburn or acid reflux, and they say DGL is good for that. I am currently only taking a multivitamin, probiotic and Omega 3 every morning after breakfast.

Please let me know if you feel any difference with the Pepzin, maybe I didn't give it enough time. I have been drinking chamomile tea after dinner, have noticed that helps a little with bloating. And drinking lots of water during the day. I think that has helped, too. Hope you are feeling better!

Old 09-19-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,

I have had numerous bouts of Gastritis after being treated for H.Pylori three years ago .
Wish I'd never done the treatment as I never had Gastritis before. My symptoms are (Gas, Bloating, Shortness of breath, Burping, Gnawing pain under ribs in the centre, Loose Bowels).
I have NEVER suffered Heartburn or Acid Reflux but was prescribed NEXIUM which I took for 4-6 weeks, that was useless and did nothing.
Now when I get an attack I take "Manuka Honey and Aloe Vera Juice" which seem to help somewhat.
Like you I tried so many different supplements that did nothing.
Now when I get an attack which can last (days to weeks) I just sit it out and wait for it to go watching my diet during an episode.
I have honestly yet to hear of someone who got a cure for this Nasty Complaint and if you are that someone out there please let us know what it is,

Solofelix.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
DarcyG
(female)

Solofelix:

Gastritis can be brought on by many things. For me, I think it was because of severe stress. I am, unfortunately, a big worrier.

Several people have recommended me that, manuka honey. I have tried looking for it (Publix, Whole Foods) but have had no luck. Where do you buy it? When I first got sick, I started drinking aloe vera juice (thanks to Healthboards posts) and did feel a difference! I also started drinking coconut water and that seems to soothe my stomach more. (I don't drink it straight, I add it to my water.) Foods/drinks are very tricky, as they digest differently for each person. What works for one person won't for another. Through trial and error, I have learned that apples are a Godsend for me. I miss chocolate, though!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Lynda K
(female)

Lynda K HB User

I have to ask this question...are either of you in or near menopause? Because I had an iron stomach up until the last year then all hell broke loose 😉 I swear this all began with menopause.

That being said, I do think the digestive enzymes help me. I'll keep y'all posted on the Pepzin GI. I've read that it works but it takes time, like 8 weeks.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
DarcyG
(female)

I have to ask this question...are either of you in or near menopause? Because I had an iron stomach up until the last year then all hell broke loose I swear this all began with menopause. That being said, I do think the digestive enzymes help me. I'll keep y'all posted on the Pepzin GI. I've read that it works but it takes time, like 8 weeks.

My gyno has not diagnosed me with menopause yet, but I swear that I have started with perimenoupause, at least!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi DarcyG,

My Menopause was almost 20yrs ago and NO that was a complete doddle for me NO symptoms at all T.G.
Interesting you mention "Digestive Enzymes" my son took these some years ago and said they were really helpful.
As I have IBS and Diverticulitis, I do have to pay attention to my diet.
Sad to say I'm a lost case where Chocolate is concerned and have tried multiple times to give it up, can just about manage a week or so.
"Don't smoke, Don't drink" weigh just 46.kg "Just what else can an older Gal give up"...(ha ha) .
I've never heard of Pepzin GI so I will look it up.
Regarding "Manuka Honey" you should be able to buy it in any Health Shop, even some Supermarkets stock it.
We are not allowed to advertise but if you google where to buy it you will find many places,

Solofelix.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
DarcyG
(female)

I took digestive enzymes for over a month, they definitely helped. I then switched to a probiotic (Align) and take that along with my multivitamin and omega 3 every day.

I will continue looking for manuka honey. Have not had luck with finding that in grocery stores. Thank you!

Old 09-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Lynda K
(female)

Lynda K HB User

Darcy, I've found Manuka Honey up here in Palm Coast (FL) at a natural/organic food market, but I'd bet that you can find it at a health food store. You just have to be careful that you're buying true New Zealand manuka honey for its properties & strength. I've done TONS of research on manuka honey and in the end, I cheaped out and didn't buy it.

OH...another thing that helps me is crystallized ginger chews. Ginger is supposed to be great for the stomach but I don't really like fresh ginger. These chews are good and they DO seem to settle whatever's going on.

Thanks for all the input!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-21-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
LibbyCat
(female)

LibbyCat HB User
Wink Re: Anyone recommends Pepzin GI or Now Ulcetrol?

HI Everyone,

I, too, just started with symptoms of a gnawing, empty, hungry feeling in my stomach. Had a little pain, started researching, and am now worried about gastritis, ulcer, or bleeding. I do have silent reflux too. I see a naturopath and he gave me Pepcix (not Pepcid)...it's a combination of zinc carnosine and L-carnosine, which is similar to Pepzin GI. I need to really start taking it regularly.

But how do you know when to see a doctor? Does it get bad fast? And what about diet to help this?? Thanks All!!

Old 10-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #12
Lynda K
(female)

Lynda K HB User

Hi, LibbyCat,

I started pepzin GI a few weeks ago and I do think its helping me. I also started a digestive enzyme and a probiotic so maybe that's helping, as well. OH...and I also started d-limonene 1 x day, every other day. THAT may be helping, too! Shees....guess I shoulda started one at a time to see what's working! What I'm trying to avoid is going back on the PPIs.

Research d-limonene, its supposed to be good for stomach issues.

I take these supplements on an empty stomach, that's when I started seeing results. I take a pepzin GI 1st thing in the am (even before coffee) and another a couple of hours after dinner. I take the d-limonene about an hour after breakfast. I take the probiotic at bedtime.

Anyway....hope you start to feel better. Take care!

Old 07-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
DannyMarinR
(male)

DannyMarinR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi,

I have had numerous bouts of Gastritis after being treated for H.Pylori three years ago .
Wish I'd never done the treatment as I never had Gastritis before. My symptoms are (Gas, Bloating, Shortness of breath, Burping, Gnawing pain under ribs in the centre, Loose Bowels).
I have NEVER suffered Heartburn or Acid Reflux but was prescribed NEXIUM which I took for 4-6 weeks, that was useless and did nothing.
Now when I get an attack I take "Manuka Honey and Aloe Vera Juice" which seem to help somewhat.
Like you I tried so many different supplements that did nothing.
Now when I get an attack which can last (days to weeks) I just sit it out and wait for it to go watching my diet during an episode.
I have honestly yet to hear of someone who got a cure for this Nasty Complaint and if you are that someone out there please let us know what it is,

Solofelix.
I see at doctor OZ
Try zic. Last year I had that hpylori. And it got me last month really bad nothing was helping me. This is what I been doing.,
Probiotics morning and night antiacid at night during day time Liquid zinc., olso drink green cabege juice., tree times a day l-carnosine 500mg a tablet, zinc will heal the sthomach and carnosine will protect the lining of of the sthomach., cabege juice work the same way., hope this will help you.. But I want to buy pep zin gy and quercetin bromelain.

Closed Thread